• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Be careful with preorder at BB--call and confirm

reneeb

May 10, 2010
I just had some weird thought that maybe because all I got from BB was the flyer and a receipt with no gift card or appt time that maybe the person who took my preorder messed up. I was the first customer doing it and the guy didnt even know they were taking preorders yet, so I had to tell him. I called today to confirm and spoke to someone and I was NOT on the preorder list, even though I paid my $54 and had a receipt. Now I have to go to the store tonight, show them my receipt and get put on the list for a preorder, and given an appt. time. The guy at BB said I was lucky, that if I didnt call and just showed up on the 4th that they may not have had a phone for me. I dont know if whomever rang up my sale was just an idiot or assumed he knew what he was doing when he didnt, but I would have been royally p*ssed off if I would have gone to pick up my phone and they didnt have any for me. He said they are probably only getting enough in for the preorders and maybe a few more. Just FYI--you may want to call and confirm so you dont get scorned come June 4.

I for one am completely confused by the whole appointment thing. Most people I've read said they didn't need an appointment set up, or didn't get one. Some say they were told to call, some like myself just given the gift card and receipt and that's it, and some without anything but a receipt. It's really confusing and threads like this help sort out the problems. Hell that's what this forum is here for - collecting info on the product we want to know about.

Upvote 0
That's why I got deposits at both Radio Shack and Best Buy. gettin that EVO on the 4th, and I don't care where I get it from, just as long as its in my hands that day. I will admit there are a lot if BS threads, run on threads about every little thing based on both the incredible and EVO. However, realize there are a lot of people that are new to Android and the smart phone world, and the Forums is the best place to voice and be heard. And this isn't really a bad thread at all, just tellin people to be aware that a check up call might be a good thing. Better safe then sorry...

Upvote 0
I have deleted and edited many posts within this thread. Against my better judgment, I will not be giving almost everyone who posted in this thread an infraction. However, I will from now on.. Any future posts which I determine rude, inflammatory, or just plain unnecessary will earn the poster an infraction.

My Golden Rule: If your not going to post anything helpful, don't post anything at all.

Everyone, please review the Site Rules and Guidelines as well as the Zero Tolerance Policy. The links to those can be found in my signature.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this, reneeb.

Just to give a heads-up: I was in the same boat in that I received a copy of the flyer and the receipt but not a gift card. I called in to Best Buy to ensure that I was still all set, and they verified that I was #1 and ready to rock.

I also asked what would happen if they received their stock on the third, and as expected, they said that even if they received them early, they wouldn't be able to distribute any to customers until the fourth.

Anyhow, it's certainly a good idea to call in and make sure you're covered, but apparently just because you didn't receive a gift card doesn't mean that you're not actually on the pre-order list.

Upvote 0
I preordered, got a receipt and gift card but no appointment. The rep said they would call me a day or two before and set up an appointment.

I started to wonder when everyone said they had already set up their appointment. Maybe I should call and set one up, make sure I'm on the list.

Upvote 0
I didn't get an appointment just the gift card and the evo sheet with the skew and my info. I speed by today just to make sure and the rep assured me they would call a few days before for an appointment.

Thanks op for posting this though I'm sure someone with a pre order her will get burned on release and it is betti double check.

Upvote 0
BB on PCH in Torrance gave me the receipt stapled to the gift card...no mention of an appointment..so I wont be calling to see if I have one, I'll be GOING there, just to make sure..cant trust these newfangled phone thangs...the sales girl was kinda cute and I momentarily lost my train of thought about an appointment time and so on...

It's my impression that this particualr BB does big volume..and Ive dealt with them in the past many times..never a problem before..

But this time is special..no mistakes

Upvote 0
I just had some weird thought that maybe because all I got from BB was the flyer and a receipt with no gift card or appt. time that maybe the person who took my pre-order messed up. I was the first customer doing it and the guy didn't even know they were taking pre-orders yet, so I had to tell him. I called today to confirm and spoke to someone and I was NOT on the pre-order list, even though I paid my $54 and had a receipt. Now I have to go to the store tonight, show them my receipt and get put on the list for a pre-order, and given an appt. time. The guy at BB said I was lucky, that if I didn't call and just showed up on the 4th that they may not have had a phone for me. I don't know if whomever rang up my sale was just an idiot or assumed he knew what he was doing when he didn't, but I would have been royally p*ssed off if I would have gone to pick up my phone and they didn't have any for me. He said they are probably only getting enough in for the pre-orders and maybe a few more. Just FYI--you may want to call and confirm so you don't get scorned come June 4.

Well, you've convinced me to call and bother my local Best Buy tomorrow.

I was the first pre-orderer and the gal that was there had no clue in her brain about the Evo. I have been debating this past week about whether I needed to follow up on it and ensure everything worked out, and you have convinced me that I had better be safe than sorry.

I didn't get a gift card (just the receipt), there was no list, there were no appointments, and the associate seemed clueless about everything.

If they have appointments scheduled now, I'm going to make them work me into the first possible one even if it is already scheduled to someone else since they screwed up the process for my pre-order.

Upvote 0
I just had some weird thought that maybe because all I got from BB was the flyer and a receipt with no gift card or appt time that maybe the person who took my preorder messed up. I was the first customer doing it and the guy didnt even know they were taking preorders yet, so I had to tell him. I called today to confirm and spoke to someone and I was NOT on the preorder list, even though I paid my $54 and had a receipt. Now I have to go to the store tonight, show them my receipt and get put on the list for a preorder, and given an appt. time. The guy at BB said I was lucky, that if I didnt call and just showed up on the 4th that they may not have had a phone for me. I dont know if whomever rang up my sale was just an idiot or assumed he knew what he was doing when he didnt, but I would have been royally p*ssed off if I would have gone to pick up my phone and they didnt have any for me. He said they are probably only getting enough in for the preorders and maybe a few more. Just FYI--you may want to call and confirm so you dont get scorned come June 4.

I received a Flyer with a gift card & receipt stapled to it. The flyer has all my info on it & they said if they get too many pre-orders then they will call and set up an appointmetnt time. But reading your post I think I will call just to make sure.

I am curious however as to how or why you paid $54??? Mine was $50 even.

Upvote 0
I was charged 50 + tax to make it ~$54. I called my BB and they confirmed I am on their pre-order list.

I work in Best Buy Mobile and that was actually an error in Point of Sale, people who got charged tax should go back and get their money back. As in pre-order information, you are suppose to set up an appointment to keep things orderly and non-chaotic, but smaller stores don't really care, just come in any time and get it. But yes, you are suppose to get the receipt and the flyer and a $50 gift card back for your pre-order, anyone who didn't should go in or call in and get that situated.

Upvote 0
I was wondering why I was getting taxed for the giftcard but at that point I didnt really care. I was just happy to get this pre ordered. I'm #10 on the list and I went there at almost 8 pm lol. I got the card, receipt, and the flyer. They told me they will call to setup an appointment two days prior to launch. As long as they promised me an EVO...I'm good. I will still call though.

Upvote 0
Hey fellas... Got a quick question for you, regarding pre-orders. I had gotten a palm pre on launch day and am eligible for another upgrade come 6/1. I would love to get the EVO at bestbuy but am not sure how it works. They can do upgrades for sprint? How exactly does the pre-order work? They have access to my sprint account to verify that I'm upgrading?

Sorry for the stupid questions, Just want to make sure that I'm golden if I go today to pre-order it. Thanks for the help from this great community.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones