• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Be honest - it's shite !

I should of been more specific, the reception isn't the phone itself, it's the network. Only time reception is bad is in the shopping centre I work in, which most people have problems with across every network, but while I could check my messages (text and voicemail) on o2, I can't in my work without going out.

So, being more specific to the phone, it's the actual volume being low, though I can still hear people and they can hear me. No hissing or high pitched noises.

I can relate to bad reception. I live in an area that is just out of reach (for indoor use) of all carriers in my area. AT&T and Alltel are the best. Alltel has been absorbed by Verizon though. I have had many different phones in the past couple of years and the X10 gets better reception than all the others except the Motorola Q9h. Unfortunately, the Q9h was just too bulky for me to deal with.

Reactions: TommySixx81
Upvote 0
I doubt you are the only one but there really aren't nearly as many complaints to be found on the Internet for the X10 as there are for the Galaxy S devices.

I don't know what is happening to you but it's possible you just need to get your phone replaced or serviced. How long have you had it?

Some of what you describe is similar to some issues I was helping someone with on another device. It turned out it was a bad SD card causing all the trouble. Have you tried replacing or formatting your SD card?
How long have i had it? Bought it july 29th.
Went in 5 days later to talk to a store employee (same chain, best buy but due to my move in another city and province) and he said i had used it for more than half n hour of talk and that is the limit the carrier allows before you are stuck...for the remaining 3 yrs of contract.
Imagine how i felt being told i am paying a whopping amt over term and must stay with a crashing phone.
I am speaking to the rep today as i also have some unusual extenuating circumstances that may allow me to get out of this carrier and this purchase/phone.
Re the SD card. No, i have not tried replacing it. I am not about to go out and spend money on a SD card, why would i do that? Re formatting it, i am not a complete techie newbie, but do i know how to do this? No.
No i do not. I have done the repair mode a couple times. Which i am not going to do again until i hopefully get rid of this. It made me lose all my saved apps and passwords etc which drove me nuts.

Upvote 0
Dude, I feel for you. Sounds like you got a totally f**ked phone. SD card shouldn't be a problem on a handset with less than 6 months on the clock.

Also, only half an hour of calls? What the hell is that? I can't remember what I get on my tariff cos I text more than call, but I get at least 10 hours of free calls, nevermind any after that. Why do they limit your calls to half an hour? Is it like a block to stop you running up your bill or is that the norm in the US?

Upvote 0
Dude, I feel for you. Sounds like you got a totally f**ked phone. SD card shouldn't be a problem on a handset with less than 6 months on the clock.

Also, only half an hour of calls? What the hell is that? I can't remember what I get on my tariff cos I text more than call, but I get at least 10 hours of free calls, nevermind any after that. Why do they limit your calls to half an hour? Is it like a block to stop you running up your bill or is that the norm in the US?
actually i am in canada. I just moved provinces (similar to states in US). I moved from toronto ontario to halifax nova scotia,which is 3 provinces over and roughly 2000 km's.
In canada we are pretty screwed with lack of competition for service. It is not near as competitive as the US. It is improving, but slowly. Even when a new carrier tries to compete they cannot share any of the towers the others use, or something like that. So they only cover major cities and its roaming outside.
I am starting a new business and need a smart phone badly. Previously i had a basic nokia phone that had almost no smart phone capability and yet for calls was brilliant in sound and the handset i threw around hoping it would break..but it never did.
Now it appears in getting a new one, that in canada they get away with extremely tight limits on usage to determine if its a phone for you. Once you sign a contract (and unless willing to pay $500cdn or more) you sign 3 yr contracts. I wish it were shorter, but you then shell out way more money.
With this carrier which is typical. You get it turns out, fifteen days or half hr talk, whichever comes first. Well of course in driving to my new city destination, i used a few hours of usage in the first day or so alone. So already, based on that, i was stuck.

I just got off the phone and the carrier rep was informed of my problems from the rep helping me from the electronics seller. She did ask how i felt about apple iphone 4? I dont know why i am so iphone biased, vs android..but i just for some reason like my mp3's, like the look of most android formats and the open source.

Then again maybe i should have gone that route. Give in. Its a more expensive handset, and i am guessing after my issues she would not have made me pay it, due to all the problems i have had. Maybe an iphone 4 at least gives me security they control software development? i dont know.

She did not promise anything but said she wants me happy, even if it means leaving the contract. She did say i cannot go back to original seller but i have not shared on here all the issues i had buying it.

I have extenuating circumstances that could allow me to get out either with original electronics seller or with carrier rogers.

In brief...the guy selling to me told me my area of coverage is good with this carrier (turns out its the worst of all, even the rep on phone today admitted this), i asked if any promotions were on like gift cards, he said no. Then i saw and showed receipt to local rep after the fact at best buy and he said it showed not only was i entitled to a $75 gift card, but that it was issued at time of sale and more checking by sister company rep at future shop, showed it was already used up in toronto.
in other words guy ripped me off, knew i wasnt coming back to that province anytime soon, took my card, told me coverage was good, its not, told me the sony had multi touch.
yes, read that right, told me it had it! Then after i was ready to leave store i could not get it to pinch and zoom and at first he said i must not have it enabled...then he talked to someone and came back and asked "what is your definition of multi touch"
huh?
my definition? i said..i dont know..isnt there only one version...you pinch,you zoom. He replied that it is done different with sony and to play around at home, which at time sounded ok, till i got home. I would try zooming in on web pages and it was easy to accidentally hit an url and go to another page. Could never get it to pinch and zoom..which of course i know understand...doesnt have it.
so you see i was lied to, stolen from (re gift card) and so, i have to decide what do i do in this rare opp to get out.
Rep locally at rogers the carrier is leaning to getting me another x10 with opportunity to ensure it works for me. I assume that means if i change my mind a while from now, i can still get out, otherwise i will ask out of contract now.
or i go back to original store chain who ripped me off and ask for that to be cancelled and let them deal with it.
Or i get an iphone 4 and give in? She did throw one curveball at me, that they are have no other high tier quality android, only lower ones, but will be getting the samsung captivate in one mth.
I could go that route assuming she would do that.
But then i still have that coverage issue original seller lied about. He said coverage is good, but its only in the main city, outside a company called bell is great..or..funny enough..telus the company i left after 3 years, they share coverage of all of nova scotia and are good.

hopefully if you made it thru this long winded post, not only the member i am replying to, but all others that may have lumped me in as just a sony hater will understand me a bit more.
My sony crashes constantly and does not give me gps maps which i desperately need as i dont know this city and area and does many odd things, that lock up etc. I wanted it to work.

I have this rare opp to get out and yet dont know what to do..oh and one last thing..i would hate to lose the plan i have as not only was it limited time and current ones are not even close...but..it turns out to sell me on it, the sales person put in a feature the reps admitted i shouldnt have, its meant for students ony. I didnt know that....sigh.

Understand me a bit better? Any further advice...re how to proceed..anyone?

thx

Upvote 0
Sorry dude, dunno why i thought you were in US. Maybe someone else on the thread said they were on at&t and I thought it was you.

That really is messed up, tough 1 to call. I'm just about to go to the cinema just now so don't have time to write a full reply to you. I've read through your post, but I'll read it again tonight and see if I can come up with any suggestions for you. I genuinely hope you get this sorted though. When I was having problems with my x1 I felt trapped cos o2 wouldn't help me, what you're going through sounds 100 times worse.

Upvote 0
Sorry dude, dunno why i thought you were in US. Maybe someone else on the thread said they were on at&t and I thought it was you.

That really is messed up, tough 1 to call. I'm just about to go to the cinema just now so don't have time to write a full reply to you. I've read through your post, but I'll read it again tonight and see if I can come up with any suggestions for you. I genuinely hope you get this sorted though. When I was having problems with my x1 I felt trapped cos o2 wouldn't help me, what you're going through sounds 100 times worse.
thanks..in advance..for any advice.

Upvote 0
No real advice on what to do but rip a huge hole in them, for fraud, lies and using misleading info to make a sale!

I'm with 3 in the uk and signed a new contract and all over the shop where signs saying "Unlimited internet" turns out after the returns period that it ment 500meg of data the year before I had 1gb of data.

After 4 hours on the phone and them saying I could not walk away from the contract, I now have 3gb of data allowance per month for the life of the contract. I just kept saying thru would have to take me to court as the sales person lied to me at the time of signing.

Upvote 0
@sharkhark It seems your biggest issue is you got no coverage for Rogers out there. Otherwise you definitely should get a replacement X10 and try it. I'm on Rogers with an X10 and use the same functionality you do and do not have any of the problems you see on your unit, either on 014 or 020 firmware.
thanks to both of you for your replies, yes to power...i am considering just opting out..but not sure yet.

to jkanos...i have an opp to test one it looks like. the girl at rogers said she did not know what her superiors would say, but i made it clear that if i try another i want an opp still to get out of this if not happy, otherwise testing a new one out is meaningless. although she did not get back to me verbally yet..i did just get copied by an automatic shipping program that said a new unit has been ordered and is shipping to the local rogers outlet..so obviously we are on our way to a new handset to try.
I cannot 100% for sure know if the dropped calls is coverage or the wonky unit..thus my consideration of trying a new one out. I do hesitate though..as i even she admitted coverage is the weakest of all carriers in nova scotia.
I do have to say to me the lack of multitouch is a pain. I have only played with multitouch in stores before on iphones and on androids with it..but i find often on the sony i will be on a page and want to widen out or zoom in and instead of one quick finger pinch..which takes 1 second...i have to tap and move around to awaken the magnifying glass..then hit on one side of it...sometimes two or three times as i zoom in or out too much or too little..is that 15 or 20 extra seconds gonna kill me..no..but personally its a pain.
I will admit this..the whole multitouch on the x10 is such a convoluted mess..with so many that bought it expecting it..or expecting it to come..and the other half never expecting it. If i knew 100% right now it would never get it..then i wouldnt even be testing this replacement as i would like it..but nobody seems to really know if it will ever come or not...i think it might..despite what they have said..but who know's?

Upvote 0
How long have i had it? Bought it july 29th.
Went in 5 days later to talk to a store employee (same chain, best buy but due to my move in another city and province) and he said i had used it for more than half n hour of talk and that is the limit the carrier allows before you are stuck...for the remaining 3 yrs of contract.
Imagine how i felt being told i am paying a whopping amt over term and must stay with a crashing phone.
I am speaking to the rep today as i also have some unusual extenuating circumstances that may allow me to get out of this carrier and this purchase/phone.
Re the SD card. No, i have not tried replacing it. I am not about to go out and spend money on a SD card, why would i do that? Re formatting it, i am not a complete techie newbie, but do i know how to do this? No.
No i do not. I have done the repair mode a couple times. Which i am not going to do again until i hopefully get rid of this. It made me lose all my saved apps and passwords etc which drove me nuts.

Well, I guess what they say about Canadian carriers is true then. I have seen brand new SD cards cause these problems on the Motorola Backflip and on a Windows Mobile device. In both cases, the cards came with the devices in question. Formatting seemed to work for them but I don't know for how long. I only suggested another card if you had one handy, not asking you to buy one.

Isn't there a warranty on the device from Sony? If nothing else, they can repair it. I have had to get phones repaired by HTC in the past and they were very efficient with the whole process.

I honestly think it sucks you are having these issues with both the carrier, retailer and the device. If I were nearby I could probably help remedy two out of the three! lol

I hope you get everything worked out so you can just move on to a happier place!

Upvote 0
Well, I guess what they say about Canadian carriers is true then. I have seen brand new SD cards cause these problems on the Motorola Backflip and on a Windows Mobile device. In both cases, the cards came with the devices in question. Formatting seemed to work for them but I don't know for how long. I only suggested another card if you had one handy, not asking you to buy one.

Isn't there a warranty on the device from Sony? If nothing else, they can repair it. I have had to get phones repaired by HTC in the past and they were very efficient with the whole process.

I honestly think it sucks you are having these issues with both the carrier, retailer and the device. If I were nearby I could probably help remedy two out of the three! lol

I hope you get everything worked out so you can just move on to a happier place!
thank you!

Upvote 0
If you hate the zoom option in the default browser try using Dolphin browser it has a great zoom function no need to do that annoying screen shuffle just hold your thumb/finger on the screen and then slide your thumb/finger to the option you want. Do it on a link or picture and you can save images save links open them in a new window/tab with just the hold and slide and release of the finger, more options than you can shake a stick at even privet browsing.

Plus you can use hand gestures to go forwards/back on a web page and more plus you can write your own gestures to open windows/favourites/perform other tasks plus you can get a "plug in" to save your bookmarks to the SD card and you can sync your bookmarks from the default browser to dolphin.

Give it a try you might just like it.

Upvote 0
Hmm, just re-read your story, Sharkhark. You've got some options. They're not great, but options none the less.

You could go back to original seller and give him shit and cancel, but that's a 2000km trip so not the best solution.

If you could speak to the manager at the local rep and ask for reassurances that you could cancel the contract, I'd either opt for another x10 or other handset to try for a couple of days, and if you're not happy, then opt out (just make sure they say it's ok for you to do this).

I work in retail, so I know when returning goods it can be quite tricky. In this case, it's not just the phone, but there's a contract. Usually these can't be ended prematurely unless you pay it off (which would cost you a fortune on a 3 year contract... I thought mine was bad, it's 2 years).

You could always contact SE and try get a new handset from them, but then again, that might not guarantee fixing the problems.

The decision is entirely yours though. I suggest reading over your post again, so you have it all in front of you instead of trying to remember all the problems. Maybe you can find a solution doing this.

Really wish we could do more to help you, but please let us know what you decide and the actions taken. It'll be good for you to get it off your chest and also help anyone else who could be caught in this "prison".

Reactions: sharkhark
Upvote 0
To be fair though he was duped into it by all accounts and from reading the rep that sold him the phone has committed a crime as the 75$ voucher was used in the store and it was not shark who used it!

So if an opt out was wanted by shark then I feel he should be freed from the contract and re-paid in a law of court by the original retailer or rep for emotional distress and charges of fraud should be taken against the rep (person who used the $75 voucher) as Im sure in most parts of the world this is a fraud?

So imho, he has a right to be disgruntled :D

Upvote 0
Yeah, spot on powerkiter. Totally missed that bit, must be feeling tired. For some reason I wasn't thinking it's the same company so could do it locally instead of travelling back to original vendor.

Btw, how long had you been on your contract before you complained about the unlimited data carry on?

I was duped into that too, it was only after I was told it was 500mb. When I realised that, I thought it would be enough anyway but a couple of days ago I got a text saying I've nearly used my limit this month (I've never had it before and got my phone in April). Vodafone said if I wanted a bit more data this month, I could pay an extra

Upvote 0
To speak for him...

He was with in the time limit with regards to amount of days for opt out but the limit set by shop/carrier(?) was x amount of days but only 30 minutes talk time on phone to be fair I think I would be far more vocal at the local shop!

As for you 500meg data! Here we go... Hijack time!

I have been with 3 network uk since 2006-07 and have had 1 gig of data on every contract until the X10.

I went in to the shop to upgrade and with big signs up saying "Unlimited internet" and saying I had 1gig of data at the moment would I need to get a data "add on" and was told no. Only to find out after the 14 day opt out well day 15 that I had used 500meg I spent 4 hours on to 3 and got them to give me the internet add on which gives 2gig data and 3 have now dropped "unlimited internet" and upped the standard amount to 1gig. I'm guessing by complaints???

So after kicking off and standing my ground I get 3gig of data for free :D

Fight the feckers all the way!

Reactions: TommySixx81
Upvote 0
I know this so far, the rep clearly has automated email saying a new handset is on way. She was very helpful with the exception that she indicated i must deal with her and that the original seller (the outlet that sold it on their behalf...they are called best buy) couldnt do anything.
I think first off she is wrong. If i wanted to pursue going back to best buy and say your rep lied and stole from me, lied about coverage areas, features etc etc and said they can deal with the carrier (rogers) i believe i would be in the right.
I just dont know what to do. She did bring up iphone, so although i pretty much shot that down, maybe i should have considered. She did admit a new phone, one some of you dont like, the samsung captivate is out next mth, i would bet should i say, i would stay as customer she likely would give me either option of phone to keep me locked in.

If i left, cancelled everything, i still need a phone and rogers is best for customer service, but ok for coverage, the other main company bell is better coverage but abysmal cust svc, i had them years ago for phone, cable etc and they are a nitemare to deal with. But they have a samsung galaxy s phone.
The other people...who are telus..i was with..when i left a couple weeks ago to go to rogers and they apparently piggyback coverage with bell..so no issues there...not great cust svc...and no plans anywhere close to what i just got.
but they do have the htc desire a fairly well rated phone in reviews.

So although screwed intitially...i can opt out completely (assuming this..dont know it..but assuming so...) and use x10 replacement on way..or if i really want MT i can wait for captivate in mth, or take the iphone 4.
Or leave..get a more expensive plan with less features..i.e. more money and 500mb data not the 1gig i have...no early wknd calls...at 6pm...others start at 9...etc etc..but get better coverage and choose the desire or the galaxy s..then again all seem to have issues..well maybe not the desire, dont hear much bad.

If anyone reads this and has any other opinions..let me know. I know at least whether i want it or not... a new x10 is on the way. Shipping to the rep soon.

Upvote 0
It's a tough call. Whatever you decide, you should still report Best Buy for ripping you off. Even if it's not directly but to a consumer watchdog, at least that would expose them.

You mentioned one of the companies offers better coverage, but poor customer service. How bad is the service and how likely are you to need assistance from them? I was with o2 for 8 years and still think it has far superior coverage than Vodafone (who claim to have the best in Europe) but o2 had terrible customer service and never seemed interested in helping me. For example, when I had a couple of problems, I think with the w900i (maybe w880i :thinking:) They said there was nothing that could be done about it. I went into 1 of their branches and spoke to someone and they sent it off for a firmware update. It fixed the problems, but removed some of the languages available, including Italian dictionary, which I use for texting family. No biggie, just inconvenience.

The thing is, if you buy an o2 phone online, they don't usually let you deal in-store cos you have a cheaper tariff and other company policy b.s. I never told the guy were I got it but the network displayed said o2-uk so that was fine for him.

Anyway, bit of a long post but thought it might help. :D

Upvote 0
It's a tough call. Whatever you decide, you should still report Best Buy for ripping you off. Even if it's not directly but to a consumer watchdog, at least that would expose them.

You mentioned one of the companies offers better coverage, but poor customer service. How bad is the service and how likely are you to need assistance from them? I was with o2 for 8 years and still think it has far superior coverage than Vodafone (who claim to have the best in Europe) but o2 had terrible customer service and never seemed interested in helping me. For example, when I had a couple of problems, I think with the w900i (maybe w880i :thinking:) They said there was nothing that could be done about it. I went into 1 of their branches and spoke to someone and they sent it off for a firmware update. It fixed the problems, but removed some of the languages available, including Italian dictionary, which I use for texting family. No biggie, just inconvenience.

The thing is, if you buy an o2 phone online, they don't usually let you deal in-store cos you have a cheaper tariff and other company policy b.s. I never told the guy were I got it but the network displayed said o2-uk so that was fine for him.

Anyway, bit of a long post but thought it might help. :D
hi, i think i am too tired from late nites trying to surf and find solutions to my x10 problems, reviews and not to mention if i look at alternative phones etc what to do?

are you in your post...leaning to advising me to go with the carrier (in this case rogers) who covers my city well, but the province itself is poor....however they have in my opinion superior customer service...

or..leaning to advising me to go to the one that guaranteed has better coverage..but is abysmal in service...

its too bad thats the way it is....good and bad with each. I am confused and tired:thinking:

ps i should add most of the time i am in the city proper which has decent coverage, its only when i venture out the odd time..i.e. i have gone golfing a few times and ended up in areas where i got a dropped call or two, but otherwise ok service (rogers).

Upvote 0
I used to be an x10 user.
I actually sold that phone not because it wasn't fun to use, because I wanted something with 2.1, so I'm waiting to pick up my HTC Desire now.

After reading, I see people are having problems with the x10, but have you really sat down to play with it? its a great phone, sure it has some flaws, the volume isn't as loud as we want, it doesn't have an apple on it, but it is great phone!
Maybe you should try rooting it and getting rid of some of the apps that are not useful (just wish I could remove that damn Moxi)

Some want to move over to the apple huh?? it's your choice, but just to warn you guys, Jobs is trying to take over the world, he wants total domination and total annihilation to all that deceives him.
Don't believe me ??? have a look for yourself - Apple Files for Patent to Disable Jailbroken iPhones
just imagine how much privacy you can have with a iFun around you
there was mention that they could detect a JB'd phone and actually take a picture of the culprit...how do you like them apples ???

Anyways, I just can't wait to see how many iFun users will switch over to Android in the near future. The choice is yours.
Don't worry, I'm sure there's an app for that ;)

Upvote 0
i'd have to agree about the level of control apple have over the os etc, which is why i didn't get one (for instance iwobble removed from itunes but android its a ok) But if i saw a 3gs going cheap i'd pick it up and hack it and install 2.2 or 2.2 on it.. its been done already.. love or hate apple the hardware is top notch!

Upvote 0
i honestly think this hunk of dog shit is getting worse weekly. i stopped using task killer to see if it would resolve any of my issues, seemed to speed it up little. ill clear the apps a couple times a day manually but dont let it close shit on its own anymore. seems to work better. but now its acting up in the dialer. i try to call someone, it tells me call not sent, yet it sent the ****en call and i can hear it ringing and its back at the main screen. then i try to hang up and the thing wont hang up. **** my life this phone is the biggest piece of shit i have ever owned. im an extremely tolerant and patient person and im really trying to like this phone but i just cant. you open up media scape, click on something, screen gets a little fuzzy,it freezes for a second, and then proceeds to open what i clicked on when its ready. and lets talk about the camera button. you push it, nothing happens, you holdit for a few seconds, and if youre lucky the camera app will start. oh and now when i go to video mode my light is permanently turned on. cant shut it off in the menu, according to it its shut off, as soon as i hit the record button the light comes on. i think rogers is getting a call this week regarding this piece of crap, see if i can get a replacement for it. ive had enough. if i could get my hands on the cocksuckers who created this phone id fuken choke the life out of them.

but the gps works great and is very fast.

Upvote 0
Wow, you seem to have the same kind of luck as Hunted has, my friend.

I have to admit, the last few days my phone seems a little slower than usual, but it still works fine. Also, on the plus side, I've been on a couple calls and been able to hear people fine so I'd much rather a little bit of lag if it means my in-call volume is finally a decent level.

The 1 thing that really, really annoys me isn't even the phone itself but the Zagg invisible shield i bought for it. Biggest waste of money. The protective case, which is supposed to be like an invisible forcefield and uses nanotechnology is utter garbage. It comes in seperate panels and none are the right size for the corresponding parts of the phone. 1 is even cut as if the buttons are in the wrong place (could this be a difference between x10a and x10i? It's a US product after all). Not only that but the panels are now peeling off 1 by 1 so soon I'll not even have any of it on my phone and it's too much hassle to apply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones