by Paul M. Zahorosky of JerseyBoy Design
I just created my first skin for Beautiful Widgets and thought I would start a thread for two reasons:
1. To show other people how easy it is to create custom skins for this wonderful application.
2. To have a place for skin developers to showcase their work with a gallery of screenshots. I figure this may help to catalog the majority of the skins that are and will become available as well as allow people to see the skins full-sized in various configurations.
The only rules I have for this thread are: skin developers- please feel free to post any and all screenshots or downloadable files of your work for Beautiful Widgets- however, please keep your screenshots to 750-pixels wide or less (so the thread doesn't get "stretched" wide so people have to scroll horizontally).
Now, on with the show...
Creating skins for Beautiful Widgets:
1. The first thing to do is to install Beautiful Widgets onto your device.
2. Go to Beautiful Widgets | LevelUp Studio and download the files for the widgets you want to customize (they are located on the right-hand column under "Skin Development Kit".
3. Unzip the files and get to work!
4. You will need an image editor (Adobe Photoshop - free trial, Adobe Fireworks - free trial, or GIMP - completely free) that can save and edit .png's.
5. The "Skin Development Kit" simply comes with a basic set of file "templates" to use. Just open each file in your editor, adjust it the way you like, and save it (preferably as a filename other than the original - always good to save the originals for later use).
6. Make sure you save all files as .png's except for the final screenshot, which must be a .jpg 240x140. Put them all in a folder with the correct additional files (the .nomedia and .[filename] docs), and copy them to your phone under "data->beautifulwidgets->skins" (or "tskins" for toggle skins/"wskins" for weather skins).
7. After it looks good, send it off in a email to the developer to have it added to the official Beautiful Widgets Skins Download Library.
NOTE: Remember that you must have all of the files complete for the skin to work. This means all number digit files from 0 to 9, the "dots" file, optional "am" and "pm" files (these are not in the templates-but are approximately 42x31 in pixel dimensions), and all six background images (this is to make sure that it works on all devices).
The weather skin templates are just separate images for 20 different types of weather.
The toggle skin templates are only for the background of the widget and the on/off "lights". Apparently, the actual image for the option or feature the widget controls is not changeable.
NOTE: the GPS toggle uses only the "toggle_background".
Any questions, I (or someone else watching) will be glad to help.
Links to image samples throughout this post:
Click on a thumbnail to go direct to the post with full-size images.