• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bedside Application for Android

Any chance this will work with the new dock in the future? Would be cool to just set it down on the contacts, and have bedside start right up. It looks like the dock starts the clock app by default, so not sure if there is a way around that.

There's something wrong there, it should work as it works on the Droid, it should ask what you want to do, Multimedia Dock, or Bedside... I'm going to go dig in the source code, and also my dock for the Nexus One should be in my door soon, so I can test a well.

Thanks for the report

Is there any demo for this app?

No sir, you can download it from the market, test it and if it doesn't meet your needs you can refund it within 24 hours.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Thanks! So far it looks great, but I downloaded it mainly for the time-to-speech function, which confuses me. It seems to be somewhat hit-and-miss -- if I long-hold sometimes it doesn't trigger, sometimes it does. Is there a specific area of the screen I'm supposed to touch?

It's supposed to work anywhere on the screen, I think what's happening is that either 1) you aren't pressing long enough... or 2) the text-to-speech takes too long to speak and you think it doesn't work so you try it again... I just experienced problem #2 myself, I'll look into it.

To be honest I used Bedside every night, every feature of it except for this one, so I don't know if it's having problems, I'm going to try to make it faster for it to load the voice and speak it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
It's supposed to work anywhere on the screen, I think what's happening is that either 1) you aren't pressing long enough... or 2) the text-to-speech takes too long to speak and you think it doesn't work so you try it again... I just experienced problem #2 myself, I'll look into it.

It may well be #2. My initial reaction was that it was #1, so I tried a lot of variations for "long," (1/2 second to 4 seconds), plus varying amounts of finger on the screen, from single fingertip to two fingers.

I'm going to try to make it faster for it to load the voice and speak it.

Thanks!

No, thank YOU!

I have another question: how do you shut Bedside off?

I navigated away from the main screen using the "back" button and things looked normal until I plugged the Droid into the charger. Suddenly the Bedside screen came up.

Do I need to go into Settings/Applications and turn it off so that doesn't happen?

Upvote 0
I have another question: how do you shut Bedside off?

I navigated away from the main screen using the "back" button and things looked normal until I plugged the Droid into the charger. Suddenly the Bedside screen came up.

Do I need to go into Settings/Applications and turn it off so that doesn't happen?

Go into Bedside -> Hit Menu -> Preferences.
Scroll down all the way to the bottom, uncheck the option that says "auto-start"... that option will let Bedside automatically start when you plug it into the power... it is recommended to leave it disabled if you are using a Dock.

Let me know if you have any other question,

Upvote 0
Apologies if this is off topic but is there any application for Droid that can use an audio stream (like a streamed radio station) for an alarm? I want to wake up to my local news. I've messed with playlists and alarm applications but haven't found a way to make a specific station get "launched" by an alarm clock application with a bookmark or anything.

PS: I'd rather just use my clock radio but I have terrible radio reception!

Many thanks in advance, I like Night Clock and Bedside looks super.

Upvote 0
Apologies if this is off topic but is there any application for Droid that can use an audio stream (like a streamed radio station) for an alarm? I want to wake up to my local news. I've messed with playlists and alarm applications but haven't found a way to make a specific station get "launched" by an alarm clock application with a bookmark or anything.

PS: I'd rather just use my clock radio but I have terrible radio reception!

Many thanks in advance, I like Night Clock and Bedside looks super.

appalarm pro ....99 cents in the market

Upvote 0
Is bedside compatible with appalarm pro? Can I run bedside and have appalarm pro trigger Pandora when the alarm comes on?

i would think so since bedside is not an alarm program.i just use the stock alarm app with bedside. there is an appalarm lite for free that doesn't have repeating alarms.you might download it and give it some testing.

Upvote 0
I thought these programs just triggered the built in Droid dock interface - and they both triggered the same dock application. I guess not, since you're saying that the ui (user interface?) is better for one than the other. Can you give me an idea how the ui's differ?

Yes they do, the trigger the same application in which the UI of those triggered applications. We mean the UI for the application that actually triggers the docks, etc. Go test both in the market and you'll see what we mean, both are free ;)

Upvote 0
Looks good but I can't find an application that will start playing a specific radio stream when the alarm goes off. I've found when I first wake up I'm too slow and clumsy to start the streaming app, choose the station, and start it playing.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible, apps can't really communicate with other apps unless they document the "commands". There are only 2 ways to deal with this, 1) the developer of the app implements its own "intents" (commands in Android speak) 2) the developer implements its own alarm.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I don't think that's possible, apps can't really communicate with other apps unless they document the "commands". There are only 2 ways to deal with this, 1) the developer of the app implements its own "intents" (commands in Android speak) 2) the developer implements its own alarm.

Thanks for explaining, crackertc. That makes good sense. It looks as though AppAlarm has ability to call custom intents, but I have no idea how to write one or which apps might support them. I imagine if a radio streaming app could create a bookmark, it would effectively contain the intent information needed to launch a certain way, is that correct? If that's the case, would I then need a streaming app that could create bookmarks and an alarm that could read bookmarks?

Thanks all for the assistance, looks like I'll need to put up with the clock radio static for now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for explaining, crackertc. That makes good sense. It looks as though AppAlarm has ability to call custom intents, but I have no idea how to write one or which apps might support them. I imagine if a radio streaming app could create a bookmark, it would effectively contain the intent information needed to launch a certain way, is that correct? If that's the case, would I then need a streaming app that could create bookmarks and an alarm that could read bookmarks?

Thanks all for the assistance, looks like I'll need to put up with the clock radio static for now.

Yes. The developer would need to document the intents to select different stations, etc. I know pandora will automatically start playing the last played "station" as soon as it starts, with AppAlarm, Pandora works very well, so you should give it a try ;)

Upvote 0
Yes. The developer would need to document the intents to select different stations, etc. I know pandora will automatically start playing the last played "station" as soon as it starts, with AppAlarm, Pandora works very well, so you should give it a try ;)

Yes, you're right. I did try it. Aside from my desire to wake to news, I am for some reason freaked out by waking to Pandora music from the phone's speaker. I guess I'm spoiled by good speakers/headphones and don't want to rig up another (portable or otherwise) speaker. Maybe the problem is end user malfunction. ;-)

Is it possible to hear news over Pandora? I guess they probably store all their songs and don't stream live things. Again apologies for straying from the original topic. I definitely would prefer to stay with Bedside for the clock, it looks good without keeping me awake with brightness!

Upvote 0
Yes, you're right. I did try it. Aside from my desire to wake to news, I am for some reason freaked out by waking to Pandora music from the phone's speaker. I guess I'm spoiled by good speakers/headphones and don't want to rig up another (portable or otherwise) speaker. Maybe the problem is end user malfunction. ;-)

Is it possible to hear news over Pandora? I guess they probably store all their songs and don't stream live things. Again apologies for straying from the original topic. I definitely would prefer to stay with Bedside for the clock, it looks good without keeping me awake with brightness!

No problem, and no, Pandora only streams their own music.
Thanks for the props with Bedside, enjoy it ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones