• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Been lurking for while, but coming out of the shadows now

BOMBO

Feb 25, 2010
DSM,IA
So, here I am. In the android forum.

Quick backstory. Big time Samsung Omnia user. Had a lot of fun tweaking the hell out of that phone. Had some problems with a couple, tech support sent new ones. Till i finally convinced them to give me something different. Almost got the Omnia 2 and TP 2 from them, then i said, i'd be open to an Android phone.

2 days later my new Eris showed up at my door step free of charge.

First off, coming from a resistive touch screen. This touch screen is AMAZING.

I love everything about the phone except for one major thing.

NO ROOT :(

I headed straight to the forums when the Eris arrived and started looking to see how I can make it better.

Its great the way it is, but i know it can be so much better and im anxiously awaiting the news of ROOT.

So, here I am and I look forward to contributing now...instead of sneaking around in the shadows.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I can already tell this is gonna be WAY better than my winmo experience.

I always used to tell people all the great stuff my Omnia could do (it did do some kool stuff) but then I would have to kind of guide them through it to show it off.

Well it seems the Eris speaks for itself. You could tell people about it, but putting it in someones hands does all the work for you.

Plus I love the fact that no matter what the user experience level...be it a power user or noob, this is a fantastic device.

Don't get me wrong, the winmo ROMS and tweaking was fun, but I have a good feeling once this thing is rooted then ITS ON!

Final note. I was running Nav-n-Go iGo 8 navigation on my Omnia. Well, now i've got the new version going on my Eris. The GPS locks almost instantly. Its a must have IMO...until Google Navigator is available to us of course.

Upvote 0
Final note. I was running Nav-n-Go iGo 8 navigation on my Omnia. Well, now i've got the new version going on my Eris. The GPS locks almost instantly. Its a must have IMO...until Google Navigator is available to us of course.

I was looking at that. It looks pretty nice. The only thing I couldn't figure out is if it did live traffic or not.

Upvote 0
I know the program is capable, but its device specific I guess.

Ill cut to the chase.

I have no clue if it does live traffic or not.

I know people had working live traffic on Nav n Go on the Omnia, but its not something I really need/use, so I never messed with it.

If you want to "try" out the software, I know a someone that heard from someone else that might know about PM'ing someone regarding this topic, or something like that.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums and out of the shadows :)

Well I'm Definitely befriending you among others so you can guys can explain to me rooting the eris

but question for you about the nav app you were talking about

1) What's the exact name?
2) Is it in the market?
3)Cost(No Biggie really)
4) Is it voice w/ turn by turn?

To answer your Nav questions:(these answers are just from my experience with having this product working beautifully on my Eris)

1) Nav n Go iGo. Nav N Go - Software Development for Mobile Devices. I believe it is sold in the US under the name OnCourse Navigator.
2)No
3)Not really sure, I acquired by means other than with money. Don't want to get into any trouble suggesting that I didn't pay for something that normally costs money
4)Voice turn by turn is available. Requires some extra files to be loaded. I dont use it personally.

To finalize. The website for this product isn't very clear and they don't seem to sell their product on it. Also, no where does it say that its available for the Eris. HOWEVER, I have it on mine and I rely on it regularly and I can say that it works great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones