• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Been offered a Droid for my Eris, need some advice

Hey guys,

So, I have had some issues with my Eris and Verizon is offering me a Droid (also, LG Ally, HTC Imagio, Droid is the best option here)

I had a few questions that I saw on here, but I'm not 100% about.

1. Does this come with a cable to connect to the PC? The Eris's charger was both a charger and a cord to connect to the PC, really like this ability.

2. Does Droid have the ability to run Froyo WITHOUT rooting?

3. Can you comment on some things I may find annoying or cumbersome with the phone?

4. Can you comment on the benefits I will get?

Thanks so much!

Hey guys,

So, I have had some issues with my Eris and Verizon is offering me a Droid (also, LG Ally, HTC Imagio, Droid is the best option here)

I had a few questions that I saw on here, but I'm not 100% about.

1. Does this come with a cable to connect to the PC? The Eris's charger was both a charger and a cord to connect to the PC, really like this ability.

2. Does Droid have the ability to run Froyo WITHOUT rooting?

3. Can you comment on some things I may find annoying or cumbersome with the phone?

4. Can you comment on the benefits I will get?

Thanks so much!

I can talk from experience because I just did the same a week ago.

1)Yes exact same. With the driod you will get a size 16 card in lieu of the 8 that the eris has. This give of course 2wice the storage.

2)Droid comes stock wih 2.2 in lieu of 2.1 that eris is running. so yes

3)Comming from the eris the size and weight of the droid got at me for a day or so. then you realize how much nicer the screen/speakers...whole package is and you learn to love it.

4)Biggest things for me was... 2.2 system, bigger screen, Speed speed speeed, more storage, did I say speed?

The eris call lag always really pissed me off. The droid will have none of that. Also the droid has the keyboad but comming from the eris im used to not having a keyboard and thus dont use the one on the droid either. Why you ask...cause it sucks lol.

No contest get the droid.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much guys, waiting on Verizon to call me back to swap out!

I definitely will enjoy the keyboard, especially for emulators!!

The biggest thing with the Eris was the lag, and I am glad I can get rid of that problem. I also am looking forward to Froyo and the added space for my music files!

Really stoked about this!

Upvote 0
Thanks so much guys, waiting on Verizon to call me back to swap out!

I definitely will enjoy the keyboard, especially for emulators!!

The biggest thing with the Eris was the lag, and I am glad I can get rid of that problem. I also am looking forward to Froyo and the added space for my music files!

Really stoked about this!

Well no, there's still lag on the Droid 1. Modern high-end devices (Droid 2, Galaxy S line, the 4.3"-ers, G2) all work flawlessly, but we're stuck with some lag and one very annoying issue: 256MB of RAM causes us to have constant redraws with any launcher. Of course, I'm sure you're used to this!

Upvote 0
My wife has and Eris and I have an Original Droid. I use both phones and think that they are both good pieces of equipment. My Droid was faster and much more responsive than her Eris straight out of the box, but we haven't had any of the issues that you read about with Erises (Eri??) I rooted my Droid shortly after getting it and have been through several ROMs and settled in on Rooted/Stock ROM/OC'd Kernel @ 1GHz. It is now much faster and more responsive than ever before.

My biggest annoyance with the Droid is the stupid micro USB connection. The Eris has a mini USB which is much more common and easy to find. Its a pain, but that that big of one.

BigRedGonzo

Upvote 0
My biggest annoyance with the Droid is the stupid micro USB connection. The Eris has a mini USB which is much more common and easy to find. Its a pain, but that that big of one.

BigRedGonzo

From what I've been told, the micro USB is the new standard and all devices are supposed to be using it.

Kratos

Upvote 0
Yeah, Mini USB is just common because it's an old technology. It's officially been announced as being deprecated and Micro USB is replacing it because Mini USB jacks tend to be very weak and are rated for a very small amount of put plug in/take plug out cycles. Micro USB jacks last about 10x as long and are much more robust. Pretty much all new phones have Micro USB and all portable devices should jump on the bandwagon soon. My nook uses Micro USB as well, for example.

Upvote 0
i sold my Eris about two months ago and bought a moto droid and i couldn't be happier. i hated the stupid Eris dialer lag. i hated how i couldn't play any youtube videos because it could not handle it. i hated how slow it was period and how quickly it became outdated. i use google maps A LOT!!! and i hated how the Eris couldn't even handle that app adequately

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones