• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beeping, muted and dropped calls

Cinsue

Mar 17, 2010
Illinois
I've searched and can't find any recent postings on this problem, so I'm starting over.

I'm having trouble with almost all my outgoing calls. It's taken me up to 4 calls to one person just to finish a short conversation. It usually starts with the person not being able to hear me and then there's a beep and the call is gone. I talked with a Verizon tech last night and she said my longest call (to her) lasted 53 seconds before she couldn't hear me anymore.

This morning I called my mom to test the hair theory (can't have hair between the phone and your face). We were able to talk for 3 mins and 17 secs before I lost the call. The only things different were the beep sounded and we were still able to talk, so evidently the beeping doesn't signal that I'm about to lose the call (I think we talked for a minute more before losing the call) and I don't think there was ever a point where she couldn't hear me -- the call just dropped.

Some of the past posting I've read have indicated that people have gone through multiple Droids (I think one person posted he was on his 4th) and was still having problems.

Verizon is sending me another Droid, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope because of all the postings I've read about this problem. I'm looking for some positive remarks about phone calls -- anyone have some and care to share?

Oh and Verizon rep also said the new Droid they are sending me is the final one. If I have problems with it I either have to put up with it or pay full price for a different phone -- does that sound right?

Cindi

Can you determine if the problem is that the proximity sensor isn't working for some reason? I mean, are the beeps what you would hear from pressing the dial pad? It's certainly possible that your face is hitting the dial pad and the mute button and end call button but there's really not enough info in your post to go on.

Can you see the Droid screen at all out of the corner of your eye when you're on the phone? Can you verify that it is black?

Upvote 0
I didn't know about the black screen until last night, but when I've pulled the phone away from my face to see if I can find out why the people can't hear me, the screen isn't black.

I tried to watch it out of the corner of my eye this morning when talking with my mom and I'm pretty sure it stayed black.

The beeps don't sound like the keypad. Actually it's just a single beep.

Upvote 0
I just joined today and looked up this issue because I'm having the same problem. It only started happening today. I can hear people on the phone but they cannot hear me. I haven't tried switching from the right to the left ear but I don't think I use my phone on just one side consistently. I seriously doubt that is going to permanently solve the problem. I've had issues with dropped calls and beeping during the call but I can live with those as long as I can have a somewhat descent conversation. I've had my droid for one month and 2 days.... just long enough to not get insurance for a replacement. Please help!

Upvote 0
I am having the exact same issue. But it only happens on some calls. I called the Motorola Droid help line and they told me to do a factory data reset (Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset-this will erase all of the data on your phone!). Not sure I'm actually going to do this yet as I want to make sure that I back up all of my contacts, also not really sure that it will actually fix the problem either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones