• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Before i flash.....

D

Deleted User

Hello,

i have made the EXT 3 partion on my sd of 1000 mb.

before i flash a rom i have been following the guide on SU roots sig...

it says about keeping app on the internal memory,
i have stock and rooted 2.2 and i have moved apps to the sd.

should i move them back?
im guessing that flashing a rom will remove them all anyway..?

if i flash to say insert coin 1.8H and it looses the app with the data still be on the memory card?

if that's the case should i take my files off the card and then format it?

Thanks
Ben

get yourself titanium backup off the market and make a backup of all your apps, if you have already done your sd card you can leave it on the sd card, do a full wipe and install the rom of your choice, and when you have rebooted, setup your phone and download titanium again and get terminal emulator, after they have been installed run terminal emulator and type : su, press enter then it will ask you to grant super user permissions then on the next line type : a2sd cachesd press enter. then this will make all apps be stored on your ext partition, then run titanium and restore your apps. then you should be good to go. :D

Edit: it wont hurt to reformat your sd card, but just check its not wiped the ext partition, all apps will just stay where they are, the command you will type will tell all apps to be stored in your ext, so all widgets will work without problem, just make sure to copy the titanium backup file to your pc and move it back after the flash.

Upvote 0
ill go for that then!

im going to wipe my sd partion, and just leave my music and pics on it.
that way all the apps will be removed and i can start again :)
all the ones i have purchased will be in the market showing as purchased right?
would it be a good idea to do a reset from with in the phone to wipe all the apps and stuff off?

Upvote 0
get yourself titanium backup off the market and make a backup of all your apps, if you have already done your sd card you can leave it on the sd card, do a full wipe and install the rom of your choice, and when you have rebooted, setup your phone and download titanium again and get terminal emulator, after they have been installed run terminal emulator and type : su, press enter then it will ask you to grant super user permissions then on the next line type : a2sd cachesd press enter. then this will make all apps be stored on your ext partition, then run titanium and restore your apps. then you should be good to go. :D

Edit: it wont hurt to reformat your sd card, but just check its not wiped the ext partition, all apps will just stay where they are, the command you will type will tell all apps to be stored in your ext, so all widgets will work without problem, just make sure to copy the titanium backup file to your pc and move it back after the flash.

Just to clarify:
The 'a2sd cachesd' command is only needed in ROMs that use the Dark Tremor a2sd script (e.g. Ginger Villain) since DarkTremor leaves the dalvik cache on the /data partition (internal storage) by default and it takes up space that could be used for apps. a2sd cachesd command has nothing to do with making your apps get stored on the ext partition...that's what the a2sd script is supposed to do all by itself without the user's intervention.

Reactions: ducky1979
Upvote 0
Just to clarify:
The 'a2sd cachesd' command is only needed in ROMs that use the Dark Tremor a2sd script (e.g. Ginger Villain) since DarkTremor leaves the dalvik cache on the /data partition (internal storage) by default and it takes up space that could be used for apps. a2sd cachesd command has nothing to do with making your apps get stored on the ext partition...that's what the a2sd script is supposed to do all by itself without the user's intervention.

Thanks staggers, I'm still learning too, and I learn something new everyday on this forum. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Upvote 0
I've certainly never taken any other steps to wipe apps on SD, and such apps disappear after doing this. I'm fairly sure I saw /sdcard/.android_secure on the list of things that was wiped when I did this yesterday (before flashing a stock rom to have maximum compatibility when running the S-Off tool).

What I actually did when I migrated to a2sd was move everything I could to internal, then uninstalled the small number that didn't fit (after taking a titanium backup to reinstall from). But that was slightly different circumstances, since I was adding a2sd to my current ROM, so was trying to do it without a wipe.

But yeah, if you want a very clean system then wiping the SD card will ensure that no data are left (some apps write info to SD card and uninstalling doesn't always remove this - I've found folders left by uninstalled apps before now). Just make sure you've copied your backups elsewhere first - I know that sounds daft, but I've seen that mistake made more than once!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones