1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Beginner Intro

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rakeshvt16, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rakeshvt16

rakeshvt16 Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Hiya!

I just got a new SGS 2! First time with a smart phone, so I am pretty lost. I was fine till yesterday when i found this forum and saw so many words that left me :thinking::thinking::thinking:. Words i saw, rooting, flashing, ROM, kernel, Odin, blah blah!! :eek:

I see many topics to cover these things, but, can we have one place that gives an intro to each topic, and why should one update/change/whatever any of these things? Sort of, a beginner's guide to upgrading your phone?!

I hear that some of these changes will affect your warranty. i don't want to do any of these kind, for now atleast.

I'm going to factory reset my phone. So, would appreciate if anyone can point me in what direction I need to proceed after the reset!!

Advertisement

2. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    I agree there should be some sort of sticky that explains all the common terms and answers common questions.
    In the meantime is there anything in particular you want to know?

3. rakeshvt16

rakeshvt16 Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Yes. I am going to factory reset my phone. Please tell me what perks do I do after, that won't affect my warranty. And in what order maybe? I'll then dig these forums on how to go about each step.

4. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    Can I ask why you are doing a factory reset when you have only just got the phone?
    There is all sorts you can do just depends on what you want from the phone?
    You could start by getting to know the phone, there is a user manual here

5. rakeshvt16

rakeshvt16 Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    Thanks, I am going through the guide already.

I want to reset my phone cuz I think I played with the settings a little too much.
    For example, whenever I connected my phone to the PC i automatically used to get the kies mode on. Yesterday i finnaly got kies on pc, but when i connect to my phone, nothing! PC doesnt recognize my phone either. New PC studio shows the memory but can't access it. Thought maybe resetting can undo all the fooling around! :eek:

As to what I want, anything and everything that can make the phone any better in any aspect!! :D

6. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Manchester
    That sounds like a PC problem rather than the phone. If you are still having problems after a reset try uninstalling kies on your pc then re install.

7. rakeshvt16

rakeshvt16 Lurker
    None

Aug 17, 2011
    I tried reinstalling. No use. Thing is, phone isn't going automatically to kies mode either!!

Anyways. Back to topic. What would you suggest doing?

Copy paste : Rooting, flashing, ROM, kernel, Odin, android version (I have 2.3.3, assume that's the latest official release)

8. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Male
    Shropshire, UK
    Try going to the top of the page and looking for a thread called 'all things root'
    There are lots of people in your situation who want to explore options with this phone, best place to look 1st.