• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Beginner questions

Just upgraded to a HTC ONE X from an old Nokia & I have a few questions that you guys maybe can answer.
The new phone dosn't seem to vibrate on an incoming call as well as my old Nokia which is frustrating as I get missed calls from not feeling it in my posket as before. Can the vibrate action be increased?
Also what is the wallpaper size? I understand the screen is 1280 X 720 but I notice when you scroll left or right the wallpaper moves abit as well meaning it needs to be wider than 720.
How good is the satnav function, can it replace my old satnav? Can you get live traffic updates & plan a new route to avoid any delays?
Thanks for any help.
May have more question to come!

The vibration during incoming calls should be quite noticeable actually.. not sure if you got a defect with no vibrate or not, but an advice is to check in Settings > Sound, and look for "Pocket Mode" and see if it is checked or not. Pocket Mode increases the volume of the ring while it is in your pocket or your bag.

As for wallpapers, yes, it needs to be wider then 720 pixels. Go onto the Play Store and search for an app "wallbase". It has wallpapers with resolutions up to 2560 x 1600, and a lot of resolutions inbetween. This app should serve you well enough for all your wallpaper needs.

Enjoy the One-X!

Upvote 0
Just upgraded to a HTC ONE X from an old Nokia & I have a few questions that you guys maybe can answer.
Excellent! And welcome to AF! Hopefully we can chip away at these...
The new phone dosn't seem to vibrate on an incoming call as well as my old Nokia which is frustrating as I get missed calls from not feeling it in my posket as before. Can the vibrate action be increased?
Unfortunately no, unless you are Maurice Moss from the IT Crowd (in one of the better episodes) there is no easy way to increase the vibrate intensity that I know of. There are some apps that allow you to change the pattern (I don't remember which one but I am thinking it was Handcent - an SMS app), but I think it would be specific to that app (ie just incoming texts, or emails, etc.). Others might know of another app that allows you to change the pattern for other notifications as well.
Also what is the wallpaper size? I understand the screen is 1280 X 720 but I notice when you scroll left or right the wallpaper moves abit as well meaning it needs to be wider than 720.
You are entirely correct, to get that sweeping pan effect as you swipe across homescreens the wallpaper (viewable area) needs to be 1440 x 1280 (same height of course and twice the width). There is some discussion that the HTC stock wallpapers are actually 3040 x 1710, and this is most likely for the zoom out effect in Sense where you can see all of your homescreens at once. Check out the thread here for more info.
How good is the satnav function, can it replace my old satnav? Can you get live traffic updates & plan a new route to avoid any delays?
Google navigation does have occasional flubs where it has some road names incorrect (here in the states at least), but it is 98% rock solid, and I haven't touched my Tomtom in the past 2 or so years Navigation has been around. Just make sure you use a 1 amp car charger, the combination of the screen on and GPS running, and all the other normal processes/radios on can really drain the battery, and typically when less than 1 amp the phone will still slightly drain even while plugged in.
Thanks for any help.
May have more question to come!
Of course! Keep the questions (and answers as you discover things) coming!

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I'm lovin my new slider tablet and trying to figure things out, but have a question:

Ho do I transfer my Itunes from my computer to the tablet?
Hello and welcome, the best answer to your question is an app called iSyncer, which is a paid app meaning that it will set you back ~$3 but most people say it is the best.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your answers.
On Photoshop playing with wallpaper right now.
So two more questions:
I have movies downloaded on my computer, but what format/size should they be in to transfer onto my phone to watch.
Also same applies to music file format?
Thanks again,
Ian

These are two areas that I am pretty deficient on, for the video I know that Handbrake has a setting that works well, but I do not remember what it is. For music I think most formats will play (other than Apple DRM protected), so you should be fine with whatever major format you use (I could be wrong on that though).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones