1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Beginner to HTC

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TheClock, Apr 12, 2011.

1. TheClock

TheClock Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    Hey Guy/Girls

I just got my Desire S today and need a little help.

I know a lot about mobile phones, and not much of a novice (I consider my self) But its the first time for me using the Android OS and HTC Sence, so just hoping for some help on some minor issues.

Firstly, im having major troubles with the Facebook Sync into Contacts, everyone in my FB List is being syncd to my contacts, and i don't want any of them, i have followed all the Tuts on this website to avoid this for the desire e.g. removing FB for HTC and then adding it again removing Snyc Contacts instantly, but it doesn't work, so i have resorted to turning off Sync completely, which has worked.

Secondly, on that same point, so much! HTC Calendar/Android Calendar HTC Facebook/ Android Facebook - So much to choose from? I am using all the HTC Applications as this seems best, do you agree?

Thirdly, I set up my Gmail when i first registered the phone, then was asked to set up my 'webmail' which was a default icon on the homepage, which i soon deleted, however, there doesn't seem to be a widget for Gmail (Which i find odd) Which i can add to my homescreen, however there is for the Webmail - Theirfore should i set my up my gmail IN gmail, and in Webmail? or Just in Webmail, or is there some way i can get my Gmail up as a Widget on my home-screen.

Fourthly, How do i know how much battery im using, and what internet connection. When i get home from a day out, am i still using my 3G or has it kicked into my WIFI straight away which i set up?

And in random, is there anyway i can change the Text settings from auto-predict / also a different style keypad such as the iphone? / Other random help you can give me.

Alot of questions, but a quick rundown to an HTC/Android Novice, and i should be set!

Thanks guys/girls

Advertisement

2. chippy1970

chippy1970 Newbie
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Im not sure where it is but when I set my contacts up it asked if I wanted my facebook ones added and I clicked no so they stayed seperate, look around there is a setting somewhere.

I have a Gmail icon in my app drawer not sure why you have not. I set gmail up a couple of months back so that I could transfer all my old contacts to it from my old phone before I got the new one, it then just downloaded all my contacts when I set up gmail on my Desire S.

Ive not set up HTC sync on my PC yet not sure if I need it yet.

3. RaymondK8

RaymondK8 Lurker
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    1. Go into Facebook app, hit the Menu button and click Settings. Go down to Sync Contacts and click on Remove Facebook Data. That should do the trick.

2. Personally (and majority agrees) that the HTC widgets are a lot better than the Android ones.

3. Sorry, not too sure what to do there.

4. To see what features are using your battery the most, I used a shortcut. On a blank area on the home screen, hold on it. Then go to Shorcut, Settings then Battery Use. When it's on the home page you can just click on it and it'll show some statistics. And AFAIK, if you leave WiFi on, it should stop using the 3G, or little of it (as in kb of data through 3G)

5. I'm not too sure about the text either because I like the predictive text, but for a random tip; I highly recommend using the Power Control widget. This easily allows you to switch on/off your WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Auto Sync and Brightness Controls. This will really help you save some battery.

I'm new to HTC myself as I only got the phone yesterday but I played around with it quite a lot.

4. TheClock

TheClock Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2011
    Thanks for the help Raymond,

I seem to have fixed the Facebook issue my self.. but don't really understand it.

I have disabeld Facebook for HTC, and only enabled Facebook for android, theirfore the contacts now don't appear in my 'phone' section.

However, this brings me to question, what is the difference between Facebook for HTC & Facebook for Android? Because you can set both up from the options, however Facebook for HTC Causes all the problems with the contacts being syncd, and ontop of that the Widget on the HTC is the Android widget which allows you to see new updates, therefore i have no idea what the Facebook for HTC does apart from Sync contacts? Anyone got any answers for this?

Also now i keep getting "Google Talk authentication failed" and it wont let me download anything from the App Market, tried all the solutions for that, looks like a factory reset is the only option and to try again.

5. wibbly

wibbly Member
    None

Apr 26, 2011
    Hmm, I'm considering a Desire S, and in a similar position (first Android handset).

I have several Gmail Apps domains. I want to know if only one can be integrated properly with the phone, and if the others will have to treated as generic email accounts via the HTC POP3 email app? And if I'm running both email applications (Google and HTC), how seamlessly does it all present itself in the UI?

And what about the other 'duplication' areas where HTC offers an alternative to the standard Google apps - like with the calendar. Is there a thread or Wiki anywhere that describes the differences or pros/cons?

Tags: