1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Beginner to Rooting?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lyee01, Apr 15, 2012.

1. lyee01

lyee01 Lurker

So I've been searching the internet and cannot find specifically what I'm looking for.

I have an HTC Desire with Froyo 2.2, and with Telus (Canadian provider). I am also a Macbook owner. Ideally, all I would like to do is be able to force system and non-system apps on my Desire to my SD card to be able to utilize my full space, rather than having to pick and choose which apps to keep. I don't mind to root.

I've read that there are ways to do with a rooted phone, and without. In terms of rooting, all tutorials I've found were all windows related (or outdated or just very unhelpful) and I've have tried "unrevoked", but wasn't sure if it had successfully rooted. (I attempted to use Root Explorer after using unrevoked to remove system games, but "delete failed")

All I would be looking for is a specific tutorial for rooting a Froyo 2.2 for a mac or a tutorial to force Apps to the SD card. If or any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

There seems to be a little confusion here, which is understandable.

Root explorer should error with "unable to find root" or something.

Check your app draw. If you have the superuser icon, you're rooted. Unrevoked should easily have managed this successfully.

Please feed back.

You should read the rooting faq and the root memory faq here in the "all things root guide".

Some things you should know.

1) "internal storage" refers only to the /data partition. Removing anything from /system will not create more space in /data

2) HTC devices have a security flag that prevents even rooted users deleting things in /system. It can be circumvented however.

Recommend reading the rooting faq and considering flashing an a2sd Rom...

3. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Do you have the Superuser app now on your phone, and were you able to give Root Explorer root permissions? If yes you are rooted ok - you can also check you have custom recovery installed (vol down plus power, then select Recovery option).

You need to be S-off to remove system apps, which is a different process and this won't actually gain you any more data space anyway.

I think you're rooted ok, so next step if you want more space will be to read the memory faqs and guides on here about partitioning SD card, choosing a custom Rom with a2sd and flashing it from recovery.

edit: ah well, too slow again

4. highlvl

highlvl Lurker

Where are the rooting faqs?

5. highlvl

highlvl Lurker

I'm also like lyee01 and would like a easy guide or step by step process to root my telus htc desire Jr and the best Rom to use
    Thanks for all help

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Look in the sticky post "Desire All Things Root Guide" in this forum.

ROMs are personal preferences, so we can't say what is best for you.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews