• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root beginner who needs to get gingerbread on triumph

richie021501

Dec 28, 2009
Ok so here's the thing. I got my girlfriend a motorola triumph for christmas and its a great phone and she loves it. However, the bugs are just to much (screen flickering, gps, camera, usual problems almost everyone with this phone is having). She's on her 2nd one and its having the same problems as the first. So I feel as though my only solution is to root the phone for her and install a rom that will solve these issues.

The problem is that I am not the most tech savy person and no absolutely nothing about this process. I have never done it on any of my android phones because I've been satisfied with them unrooted. But for her, this seems like all I can do to fix the issues for good.

I have no idea what rooting, roms, kernels etc. are. I don't even know where to begin. I have some questions for you guys.

1. First of all, is there a gingerbread rom out there for this phone?

2. If so, does it solve all the problems that this phone typically has, such as screen flickering, gps issues, and the weird camera tint issues?

3. Does this gingerbread rom have any bugs? If so, what are they?

4. What are the steps for loading this rom onto my girlfriends phone? I'm looking for step by step instructions with download links and everything

5. I also wanna be able to revert back to froyo in case something goes wrong and we have to send the phone back. Is this possible? If so, how?

I know a lot of this info could probably be found on this forum but there's just so much info on here, I don't even know where to begin or where to find it!

Can someone please help me out? Just give me any tips you can and answer as many of these questions as possible

Thank you!

Ok so here's the thing. I got my girlfriend a motorola triumph for christmas and its a great phone and she loves it. However, the bugs are just to much (screen flickering, gps, camera, usual problems almost everyone with this phone is having). She's on her 2nd one and its having the same problems as the first. So I feel as though my only solution is to root the phone for her and install a rom that will solve these issues.

The problem is that I am not the most tech savy person and no absolutely nothing about this process. I have never done it on any of my android phones because I've been satisfied with them unrooted. But for her, this seems like all I can do to fix the issues for good.

I have no idea what rooting, roms, kernels etc. are. I don't even know where to begin. I have some questions for you guys.

2. If so, does it solve all the problems that this phone typically has, such as screen flickering, gps issues, and the weird camera tint issues?

4. What are the steps for loading this rom onto my girlfriends phone? I'm looking for step by step instructions with download links and everything

5. I also wanna be able to revert back to froyo in case something goes wrong and we have to send the phone back. Is this possible? If so, how?

I know a lot of this info could probably be found on this forum but there's just so much info on here, I don't even know where to begin or where to find it!

Can someone please help me out? Just give me any tips you can and answer as many of these questions as possible

Thank you!

I'm relatively new here myself and I've already loaded a new rom onto my triumph. I used this guide:

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/445483-guide-installing-cwm-custom-rom-motorola-triumph.html

I installed TickerGuy's CM7 and so far haven't found a single thing I don't like about it. It's got better battery life than the stock rom, and more features..and it's Gingerbread.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Thank you!
Here this thread http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/385385-guide-motorola-triumph-all-things-root.html
0. Don't just flash stuff just to fix your gf's phone, actually try to learn something in the process. Those kind of people only have problems later on.
1. There are two, CM7 and MIUI stickied at the top; though the development for both has stopped. Whyzor has continued the development of CM7 in his thread ' [ROM] CM7-TG-Reloaded ' though he improved and added stuff, it has a couple new bugs reported by users. Whyzor, isn't using stock CM7 kernel anymore, he's using a seperate one built in.
2. Users don't complain anymore about those stock problems anymore, so the best answer is yes.
3. HDMI don't work(being able to connect to a TV to see what your doing on the phone on the TV).
4. Easiest(with almost everything in it is steps. link I can give you is beside the one at top is: http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...methods-related-triumph-info.html#post3327245
Remember to go to the actual threads inside that thread
5. Make a backup in CWM recovery.
Extra Info:
Kernels are the base of ROMs, flashing separate kernels will give extra features, performance, and battery life to the ROM. Remember that Stock, MIUI, and CM7 use different kernels, so use the right one for the ROM your using.
http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/429453-root-methods-related-triumph-info.html#post3327245 - Just because you have shortcut, you should still go to the actual threads of what your using and find any extra info you will need, and also give thanks to the developer. Also, gingerbread ROMs, having a theme engine apps in them, so you can download a theme, via market, google, or the theme app search engine(only MIUI has search engine). The themes can make the the ROM look better

The steps are easy:
Root
Get info on CWM
Get CWM
Get info on the ROMs around here
Pick one like
Look at the kernels around here(though Whyzor has built in the only up to date seperate kernel for CM7. So you only need to find a kernel if you use MIUI since MIUI is still using stock kernel, my separate kernel has a lot of features and improvements so don't just pick CM7 because it is a little bit easier.)
Pick a kernel
Get info on the extra MODs around here
Get any extra mods you want for your girl(Thunder Prop, remove CD-ROM pop-up, etc)
Get what you want.

~~~
Always make backups in recovery, incase you bootloop(endless boot up)

Upvote 0
Would recommend not rooting the phone until you are satisfied with either of the GB ROMs in Miui or CM7. The Triumph does not need to be rooted to install a custom Rom. Try installing recovery first and making a backup of the stock Rom unrooted and she will be able to go back to the stock Rom exactly as it was before messing around with the phone. Otherwise I would say I have a few female friends who have had me flash ROMs for them and they seem to prefer Miui over CM7. Also wouldn’t need to worry about damaging the phone with CM7 if you think she could accidently turns on wifi and Bluetooth at the same time.

Upvote 0
We all have preference. I personally like Stock Rom over CM7 and MIUI. Why? Because the phone works better for me with stock, my evaluation, although CM7 and MIUI are smoother. I'd say that CM7 and MIUI would overall be an interface upgrade. I use my phone for Entertainment purposes, works 100% fine with stock.

Upvote 0
Would recommend not rooting the phone until you are satisfied with either of the GB ROMs in Miui or CM7. The Triumph does not need to be rooted to install a custom Rom. Try installing recovery first and making a backup of the stock Rom unrooted and she will be able to go back to the stock Rom exactly as it was before messing around with the phone. Otherwise I would say I have a few female friends who have had me flash ROMs for them and they seem to prefer Miui over CM7. Also wouldn

Upvote 0
Root is not required to install a custom ROM on this phone, and CM7 & MIUI come with root once installed. Only reason to root separately would be to stay stock & rooted.

Exactly, was just recommending doing a nandroid backup before rooting. Also the triumph is rooted out the box with Sudo, much safer then using gingerbreak. 0% chance of bricking the phone. just need a terminal emulator from the market and the stock Triumph Rom can be rooted and un-rooted with a quick command. Does not even need to be rebooted.

Upvote 0
Here this thread http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/385385-guide-motorola-triumph-all-things-root.html
0. Don't just flash stuff just to fix your gf's phone, actually try to learn something in the process. Those kind of people only have problems later on.
1. There are two, CM7 and MIUI stickied at the top; though the development for both has stopped. Whyzor has continued the development of CM7 in his thread ' [ROM] CM7-TG-Reloaded ' though he improved and added stuff, it has a couple new bugs reported by users. Whyzor, isn't using stock CM7 kernel anymore, he's using a seperate one built in.
2. Users don't complain anymore about those stock problems anymore, so the best answer is yes.
3. HDMI don't work(being able to connect to a TV to see what your doing on the phone on the TV).
4. Easiest(with almost everything in it is steps. link I can give you is beside the one at top is: http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...methods-related-triumph-info.html#post3327245
Remember to go to the actual threads inside that thread
5. Make a backup in CWM recovery.
Extra Info:
Kernels are the base of ROMs, flashing separate kernels will give extra features, performance, and battery life to the ROM. Remember that Stock, MIUI, and CM7 use different kernels, so use the right one for the ROM your using.
http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/429453-root-methods-related-triumph-info.html#post3327245 - Just because you have shortcut, you should still go to the actual threads of what your using and find any extra info you will need, and also give thanks to the developer. Also, gingerbread ROMs, having a theme engine apps in them, so you can download a theme, via market, google, or the theme app search engine(only MIUI has search engine). The themes can make the the ROM look better

The steps are easy:
Root
Get info on CWM
Get CWM
Get info on the ROMs around here
Pick one like
Look at the kernels around here(though Whyzor has built in the only up to date seperate kernel for CM7. So you only need to find a kernel if you use MIUI since MIUI is still using stock kernel, my separate kernel has a lot of features and improvements so don't just pick CM7 because it is a little bit easier.)
Pick a kernel
Get info on the extra MODs around here
Get any extra mods you want for your girl(Thunder Prop, remove CD-ROM pop-up, etc)
Get what you want.

~~~
Always make backups in recovery, incase you bootloop(endless boot up)

Does this mean that it can run gingerbread and hhave the ability to use the front camera as well? I havent seen any info on this when searching

Upvote 0
Ok then. Whats better the cm7 or miui???

Neither is "better," it's a matter of preference. MIUI is very clean and smooth, like a cross between an iPhone and an Android device. CM7 is all Android, similar to what you'd see on most phones with Gingerbread. I have used both, and neither has any major drawbacks, they both suffer from HDMI issues but past that it's preference. For what it's worth, I'm using MIUI at the moment.

Reactions: Johnpiece
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones