1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Beginning Android programming?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by sventisep, May 17, 2017.

1. sventisep

sventisep Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2017
    Female
    I have a broad question regarding how to begin Android programming. If I was to rate how much I
    knew on this topic, the top being 10, I would sit somewhere around -17.

I really don't understand how you go about something like this.

I know C++ and a little javascript but that's it.

In C++, you write your code >>>> Compile it >>>>> and run the Binary but clicking on it.

What's the broad strokes approach to Android programming and which programming language should I learn to do it?

Thanks

Advertisement

cortega619 and Funkysec81 like this.
  2. LV426

LV426 Illegitimi non carborundum

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Hi. Welcome to Android Forums. There is some useful information for beginners here

https://androidforums.com/threads/please-read-me-before-posting.987318/

Your first thing to learn would be the Java programming language. You can learn about this via the web, or one of the many books available. When you have an understanding of the programming language, your next step would be to learn about Android application programming. Download the development environment and try some simple apps. It's all freely available.

sventisep likes this.
  3. bayk

bayk Member
    None

Mar 7, 2017
    Just a suggestion about IDE.
    Try Android Studio, it works fine with default settings.
    Also Android SDK has some examples, you can build and check how they run. So it will be similar to your C++ experience.
    [​IMG]

sventisep likes this.
  4. arnavp

arnavp Lurker
    None

May 18, 2017
    Try to understand android fundamental first if already know java, if not, start with basic java.

5. sventisep

sventisep Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2017
    Female
    Hi. Thanks for the replies.
    Can someone tell me, why Java? C++ is very similar.. Why not just use that?
    Are there elements of the Java programming language which are best suited to Android programming?

6. LV426

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    The beauty of using Java is that it's very portable. It can run on a multitude of hardware architectures, because the code compiles to an intermediate format called bytecode. The bytecode is interpreted and run by a 'virtual machine' (JVM). The Android virtual machine is a variant of the JVM called Dalvik. The virtual machine effectively is a bridge between your Java code, and the underlying hardware.
    With traditional compiled languages like C++, they compile to native binary code, which is specific to a particular hardware platform. If you wish to run the application on a different platform, you have to use a cross-compiler to produce a native binary for that hardware.

So in essence, Java provides inherent application portability across hardware platforms. That's important when you have a multitude of devices, produced by different hardware vendors. You don't have to re-write or even re-compile your code to run on all these devices - you simply distribute a single APK and it runs everywhere.

mikedt and sventisep like this.
  7. sventisep

sventisep Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2017
    Female
    LV426 , Excellent answer.. Thanks for explaining that. That's the kind of understanding I'm looking for on this topic. Cheers.

LV426 likes this.
  8. maykelbembibre

None

Mar 20, 2014
    I learnt Android by reading a book called Android development for dummies. It was very easy but beware, some editons of that book are very outdated. The one I read explained how to use the ADT environment and that is old-fashioned. You should ensure that the book is about the new environment: Android Studio.

9. LV426

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    South West of England
    Yes I agree. Technology moves on so fast that books can quickly become outdated. These days I tend to rely more on web resources.
    Even Java has been developed a lot in recent years, with features like Lambdas bolted on, which makes the syntax much different from previous versions.

sweetndreemy73 likes this.