• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Beginning Android programming?

sventisep

Lurker
Feb 20, 2017
I have a broad question regarding how to begin Android programming. If I was to rate how much I
knew on this topic, the top being 10, I would sit somewhere around -17.

I really don't understand how you go about something like this.

I know C++ and a little javascript but that's it.

In C++, you write your code >>>> Compile it >>>>> and run the Binary but clicking on it.

What's the broad strokes approach to Android programming and which programming language should I learn to do it?

Thanks

Hi. Welcome to Android Forums. There is some useful information for beginners here

https://androidforums.com/threads/please-read-me-before-posting.987318/

Your first thing to learn would be the Java programming language. You can learn about this via the web, or one of the many books available. When you have an understanding of the programming language, your next step would be to learn about Android application programming. Download the development environment and try some simple apps. It's all freely available.

Reactions: sventisep
Upvote 0
The beauty of using Java is that it's very portable. It can run on a multitude of hardware architectures, because the code compiles to an intermediate format called bytecode. The bytecode is interpreted and run by a 'virtual machine' (JVM). The Android virtual machine is a variant of the JVM called Dalvik. The virtual machine effectively is a bridge between your Java code, and the underlying hardware.
With traditional compiled languages like C++, they compile to native binary code, which is specific to a particular hardware platform. If you wish to run the application on a different platform, you have to use a cross-compiler to produce a native binary for that hardware.

So in essence, Java provides inherent application portability across hardware platforms. That's important when you have a multitude of devices, produced by different hardware vendors. You don't have to re-write or even re-compile your code to run on all these devices - you simply distribute a single APK and it runs everywhere.

Upvote 0
I learnt Android by reading a book called Android development for dummies. It was very easy but beware, some editons of that book are very outdated. The one I read explained how to use the ADT environment and that is old-fashioned. You should ensure that the book is about the new environment: Android Studio.

Yes I agree. Technology moves on so fast that books can quickly become outdated. These days I tend to rely more on web resources.
Even Java has been developed a lot in recent years, with features like Lambdas bolted on, which makes the syntax much different from previous versions.

Reactions: sweetndreemy73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones