1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Beginning to Hate this Phone 10 days in...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by briggss3, May 9, 2012.

1. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    Stock phone, and unless I am doing something dramatically wrong or this one is a Lemmon, my Droid X is 3x the phone that this one. For starters, it will not play back alot of flash content and I have done all the settings tricks, just says "device not supported" when I try to watch my school video playback (x did fine). Also frequently hangs when opening web pages and applications - about 10% of the time. Last is internet pages do not funtion correct always. As I write this, all of the boxes above.me are question marks. Last last, the battery sucks more or less. Oh, one more, pinging it with 2 good services, the 4g got a D+ and my WiFi att pro got a D+.

On a positive note, style and feel in hand is good and the camera is pretty fast and good.

Unless someone talks me off the cliff I am returining this tomorrow. My X is better at everything but the camera.

Advertisement

2. pwned

pwned Member
    None

May 12, 2011
    Root it, install a new ROM, profit

3. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I'm sorry you are having problems. If you are considering returning the Rezound I suggest you do a factory reset and then use try the phone a bit prior to returning it.
    I'm not a video sort and can't attest to what formats the phone plays well. The other problems you are experiencing are not normal behavior for the Rezound. Your's is either a lemon or has a problem that a factory reset might well remedy. In any event, you will at least have the phone in a returnable mode if it still falls short of being satisfactory.

4. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 9, 2009
    I think your phone is a lemon. I had the DX, rooted and ROM'd, and this phone is 10 times the phone the DX was. The screen response is better, the data connection is better, the camera is better (including camera response time), there's no lag, the screen itself is beautiful and from a hacking standpoint, this phone has been cracked wide open so you can pretty much do anything you want with it once you hack it. I agree with olbriar - factory reset, try again - maybe get a replacement if that's no good and go from there. If you are still unhappy, then return it.

This is by far the best phone I've ever had my hands on. If I had two complaints about it, it's the battery life when in use (the screen just eats juice - but in standby mode the battery life on this phone is no worse than the DX unless you are on 4G) and the screen does not seem to be as durable as the DX was. This phone worked right out of the box - the DX was a mess.

Good luck.

5. Colchicine

Colchicine Android Expert
    None

Factory Reset!

6. Bhelios

Bhelios Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 23, 2011
    Uncanny Valley
    Don't jump! Sounds like you got a bunk phone... like several have suggested, factory reset for sure. If you have the option, stop by a Verizon or Best Buy and try their demo's out (yes demo models take a beating but it should give you a pretty good read on how the phone works).

Good luck!

7. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    The most painful thing is that it won't play Flash content. One of the key things I was interested in 4G was to stream a class that was spooling real bad with 3G. My DX did fine, but this Rezound loads the page fine, but when I click the video, it gives me the warning code and says the content is not supported. I have Flash 11 installed.

Is this a Rezound issue with some Adobe player items?

8. Mr. Incredible

Mr. Incredible Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Have you tried installing a different browser? After the factory reset, if you're still having problems try several browsers. I haven't needed to mess around with them in a long time, but Skyfire used to strip out flash and stream directly.

9. nynvolt

nynvolt Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 17, 2010
    SoCal
    I had the dx prior to the rezound. It was a pretty good phone but I can't see myself stepping back down to it. You must have your settings goofed up or you got a lemon. I'm using my rezound to type this now and virtually for everything I used to use my laptop for. Flash content seems fully supported, the only video I've had problems viewing were from my friends flip phone.

I'm always a bit surprised when people are disappointed in the rezound, it's been fantastic for me.

10. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    OK, this seems to be a bug specific to HTC, not just the Rezound. I went by Verizon and neither the store nor tech support could believe it, or answer what was going on. Every other brand of cell phone that is not named HTC pulls the video stream up just fine. No HTC phone will do it. All HTC phones give the dreaded hourglass symbol and then the infamous "Adobe Flash - Content is Not Supported" message.

At this point, there is no scheduled push to ICS in the next 30 days for the Rezound. Verizon tech support said to ignore all rumors, its not coming in May or it would show as queued up to be released in their system.

So I am stuck with a high powered, high dollar phone that can not play simple streamed video back - just like a dreaded iPhone.

Verizon suggested that if I really wanted that functionality - to choose a different phone.

Back to square 1. They gave me a short extention to my return window to see if HTC is aware of the issue and could provide support to resolve it. If not, I guess I am back to choosing between theGalaxy Nexus or the Razr. Bah Humbug, since I was really geared up to like this Rezound. However, Flash support/functionality is a deal breaker for any phone.

Please, someone have a magic bullet for this....

11. esn

esn Android Enthusiast

Dec 21, 2009
    construction
    South Jersey
    I haven't experienced any of the problems you are having. Like others have said do a factory reset and if it doesn't work then return it.

12. ~Reason~

~Reason~ Newbie
    None

Oct 5, 2011
    I have no idea if it will fix your problem, but try out "flash video browser" in the market by Daniel Lockard. I use it to access any videos that are not set up to allow mobile devices. It works like a charm for hulu and a few other problem sites.

13. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    I already did the factory reset before going to Verizon. Its not my phone, its all HTC devices. We tried about 10 phones from Motorola, Samsung, and others and all played the video content without flaw. Every HTC device in the store would not.

I will try the Flash Video Browser like Reason suggested.

Option B is Unlock and put a new ROM.

14. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    Flash Video Browser = No Success. Used my wife's Razr today and it did great. aaaggggghhhhhhhh

15. tCizzler

tCizzler Member
    None

Jan 23, 2011
    EET
    America
    Maybe this sounds too obvious but did you download the flash player from the market? I have it and watch any kind of video I can find... Also vplayer supports most file types.

16. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    Tried that. Not sure why every other phone in the Verizon store plays the stream video fine, but NO HTC phone will. My Rezound plays other videos on YouTube, but not this one. I will call HTC tech support Monday and will update this thread.

17. jayochs

jayochs Android Enthusiast
    None

May 14, 2010
    Critical Infrastructure Protection Bureau, Office
    Brick, NJ
    just for kicks, whats a website you're trying to view right now with flash? i'll try it on mine and see if it works. i never have flash problems on my rezound.

18. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    This is a school class I am taking and requires a username and password, etc. I have tried about 5 Rezounds and every other HTC phone in various Verizon stores - none will access it. Every other phone works fine, including my DX.

tapatalk likes this.
  19. Kane5581

Kane5581 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Mine plays everything that doesn't require a downloaded plugin. If you absolutely need to watch this one video on your phone get a different phone. I am assuming the factory reset fixed the rest of your problems? I have seen the symbols on pictures and video but only when I had a bad connection and they just didn't load right.

20. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    I wonder if ICS fixes this bug? Is there a good thread on what the pros and Cons are of the variousROMs out there? Specifically, what the current bugs are for each one?

I am not sure about the factory reset yet. I will say that after I went back in to all of the stores and relooked at all of the other options, I certianly like the Rezound,s style and overall feel. Others phones are like plastic and cheap feeling.

Now I need to decide if I want to unlock this and ROM it. Being a NOOB, its a little intimidating.

21. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    HTC said this is a result of Adobe dropping flash support for Android. There will be no more Adobe Flash updates or support.

22. briggss3

briggss3 Newbie
    None

Apr 30, 2012
    Sorry, this is a free course offered through Hillsdale College. It is a 10 week course titled, INTRODUCTION TO THE CONSTITUTION.

So on a second call after realizing that my Phone is already preinstalled with Adobe 11.1, I pushed HTC, and all they will say is "sorry, we can't guarantee that videos will be playable on our devices.". To me, this is totally in excusable. 14 days in and now I am really unhappy.

Such a nice looking and feeling phone, but this is terrible. Maybe I can root it and see before I cross my 30 day return window Verizon extended for me?

23. backdoc77

backdoc77 Member
    None

Jan 23, 2010
Tags: