• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beginning to regret the smartphone

Depth Afield

Feb 2, 2011
Bought an X on a 2 year plan on January 30th at a Costco due to 2 selling points:
- They would waive the $9.99 monthly secondary line fee on the family plan
- Costco stated they would exchange it for a Thunderbolt when it comes out

Well, a comedy of errors ensued.

Firstly, or some reason the waiver did not happen on the account on the 30th when we did the paperwork. Found this out when speaking to VZH customer service a couple days later. I have been on the phone since then with no less than 4 CSR reps who's answers range from "sure, we are just reprocessing it and it will be applied" to "it is processing but unknown if it will happen" to "It was denied, but they are batch processing it with a bunch of others and it SHOULD go though...".

Secondly, the day after I bought the X (thinking I would not have to wait long for the Thunderbolt) I learned that Best Buy would keep it from coming to Costco for 60 days after release. I cannot even return the phone completely and move to Best Buy without losing the $9.99 waiver.

This afternoon I spoke AGAIN to a VZW customer sevice person, asking about the waiver, and how it would be effected if/when Costco trades the X for the Thunderbolt.

Ready for this?

The guy told me that if/when they exchange it for the TB (or Bionic), that I would a) most likely lose the waiver because it was from before 4G was offered, and b) the 3g unlimited data package MAY NOT BE GRANDFATHERED IN AT ALL, in the event they consider the 4G package as a different package than the 3G. He even put me on hold and spoke with a supervisor about it. They could neither confirm nor deny if existing data plans would be able to be grandfathered in, and would not know likely until the day the 4G phones launch.

I am so completely disgusted right now, I cannot tell you. I am ->this<- close to taking this DX back to Costco and telling them to stick the whole VZW data smartphone garbage where the sun does not shine.

So yeah, be careful what we are wishing for with the TB. We may be screwed when it comes to the contracts.

edit: Almost forgot. The VZW CS guy I spoke with last was trying to convince me that the TB was really that much better than the TB.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones