1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Being INUNDATED with Verizon Texts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mooreman, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mooreman

mooreman Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Anybody else out there being hammered by incoming texts from Verizon over the last couple of weeks or so? I'm now getting them about every 20 minutes all throughout the day and night, and there's no message except for a single digit, 1-5, in no particular order. I called their tech support, and supposedly it's a "known" issue for Dinc 2 users. I AM rooted and running the rom from team RCmix, but the problem replicates when I flash the rom to CM too, so I very much doubt it is the rom.
    I am ALSO a little incredulous that it's only Dinc 2 users as I was told, but then again, what do I know, right? Once they learned I was rooted, they were essentially done talking to me so it's my problem to fix I guess. The only thing I can think of to do is to flash back to my original rom backup, let it update the phone (because my suspicion is that Verizon's servers are trying to update my phone's software, and it's coming across as the texts I mentioned for some reason and apparently Verizon is powerless to stop them). So, I guess my question for those in the know is this, If I flash back, and update the firmware, will I then have to re-root, or will all that stay the same? Any pointers/constructive suggestions are welcome. Thanks all.

Advertisement

2. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
  3. mooreman

mooreman Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    I don't know how I missed that doing a Google search, but thanks for finding that for me, I did have that feature activated on my line. I don't remember ever seeing it there before either, so hopefully turning that off fixes the issue. So, thanks again! I don't know why they insist on shoving these contact backup applications on Android users... Do they not get the fact that all that stuff is backed up automatically by virtue of having a Google account? It's a real head-scratcher.

4. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    That it is.
    I have had to turn it off a couple times (I think flashing certain ROMs can bring it back), but it is easy to do. You can also call VZ and ask them to turn it off. I like doing this so I can tell them how annoyed I am with having this thing added to my account without my asking for it.
    Glad I was able to help!

5. mooreman

mooreman Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Just to follow up, a few days later and have not had a single text from Verizon. To fix this problem, Verizon wants to know what software version your phone has, factory reset and everything else to do with the handset. The problem exists with Verizon, NOT the phone (as I suspected). I tried telling the Verizon tech that my RECEIVING texts from Verizon has NOTHING to do with my phone, it's only a receiver for what they are sending out, and I want them to STOP sending stuff out to me, but apparently they are powerless to stop themselves..... Sort of ironic if you think about it. Anyway, thanks TAR for your fast response and help. Have a great week!