• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bell Alt TV not working on Sony Bravia Android TV

hbo now

Lurker
Nov 20, 2017
I wanted to write a post somewhere since I can't seem to find much information related to my issue. I subscribe to Bell Alt TV in Canada which is a decent streaming service and runs via an app called Bell Fibe TV. It works on iOS and my android devices (phone) except it doesn't work on my Sony / Android TV which is where I really want it to work. The actual app is visible from the google play store on my TV but it doesn't have an install button. I even found the Bell app apk online and installed it manually but it tries to switch to a horizontal profile and an error about compatibility comes up. The final option I tried was access it via the Chrome web browser (similar to computer access) but that also fails as it thinks the tv is a mobile device and wants you to switch to the app.

I'm surprised not to see more info or complaints about this problem as I suspect all Android TV platforms would be expericing a similar problem, may be Bell Alt TV is not that popular?

My conclusion is that it's not really a Sony or Android TV issue but more of a Bell development issue. I think they haven't developed an app for the Android TV platform yet and the regular mobile Android OS solution is not compatible on the TV. So I will continue to hassle Bell for the fix.

Once again this post is more to inform users in Canada who own Android TV products of the compatibility issues with the Bell streaming service, something to consider before signing up.

Thanks for reading. (Oh if someone has developped an apk for this app that works on Android TV, hook us up please :) )

Update: there is now an app on the Sony Bravia android tv for Bell Alt TV. So it looks like Bell finally got their act together. It seems to be working well and resolution and performance is really good. Even though I opened a ticket with Bell on this issue several months ago, they didn't inform me, I stumbled upon the new app on my tv.

Reactions: Pham Minh
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones