1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Bell Atrix owner (not on Bell) did you get phone insurance?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roze, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I have a habit of losing my phones so I'm thinking of getting insurance but I've never gotten insurance for anything. I got this phone as a gift so I can't claim it under the Visa/MasterCard's insurance (I looked into that when I lost my Nexus One). I know Bell does its own insurance premiums @ 7/month and a $150 deductable (I believe). I was wondering if there's other insurance companies I can look at that is good and reliable that you use :) I'm just asking people not with Bell since if they get insurance, it would might not be with Bell. For those that are with Bell but got your phone insure but not with Bell can you chime in too?

Thanks,
    Roze

Advertisement

2. omnius

omnius Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Canada
    could it be covered under home insurance?

3. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I think this depends on the home insurer but home insurance isn't under my name. So I don't think that would work? :thinking:

4. omnius

None

Mar 24, 2011
    Canada
    no, the homeowner would have to do it.

5. azazel

azazel Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    I opted to take the insurance. The rep also said it covers water damage too.

I mean, he could have just been blowing smoke (im sure he gets commission) but I figured why not.. I'm making good money and 7$ a month to me is just one day where I have to pack my own lunch to work. The pros outweigh the cons in my situation.

6. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Plus the $150 in deductable that you'd need to pay to get a new phone if you lose it.

7. omnius

None

Mar 24, 2011
    Canada
    just a thought, bear with me here, I'm just speculating - The phone defect warranty is usually good for what, a year? So if you choose to upgrade every year and renew your contract you're basically always under warranty right? Of course that doesn't cover you if you lose it or break it...

8. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    I've lost 2 phones in in less than 20 months...so I'm looking into insuring my phone. First time, dropped it while shopping. With my Nexus One, I was paranoid careful with it but I didn't think my phone would get stolen :( This time around, I'm going to play it safe!

So has anyone used Ensquared? :) I'm looking at the 2 yr insurance for one time payment of $99 (so around $4 a month over 24 months). And deductable is $95

Any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

9. iPhail

iPhail Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Cant say I would ever break or lose my phone, Im not going to claim that it will never get stolen but I am very cautious. I have a habit of feeling my pocket for my phone everytime i stand up, I actually feel...just...wrong without the extra weight in my pocket lol. Every phone I have I bought a case for, they arent cheap and its worth saving it from being destroyed after 1 drop.

10. atrixlostbutok

None

May 3, 2011
    I lost my atrix and it has not come back... but I was able to track it using Lookout Mobile security. Good program but it has a glitch, it sent a text to the phone to locate it. This warned the thief and was easily uninstalled but not before I had a great photo of his house... Long story short I will have a new phone shortly but that was mostly by luck. Good thing is that Motorola keeps tabs in the IMEI number so the phone will never be able to used again with motoblur I just have to check every once in a while to see if anyone is using it.

lessons learned...
    Password or finger print protect your phone
    load lookout
    keep it charged

Insurance...
    credit card (best visa available) will only cover the $99 I paid not the $600 to replace.
    My house hold insurance would probably be the same

Both will require police reports, receipts and hassles

Bell insurance would be good for such an expensive phone until you pay for two years or so, then your breaking even cause the phone will be way cheaper in two years and they will only replace with the same model nothing new or different. Not sure what they will do in two years if they don't have that model but thats the story I got. Just make sure its the $7 month coverage not the $4 a month one my friend got burned on.

- See lessons learned and you "should" never loose your phone.

11. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    You are talking to someone that has lost 2 phones in 18 months. This is my third phone... and I still have another 10 months on my contract :( I am hoping that it is not 3 phones in 3 years (my contact life) This time I am ready and got insurance... just in case ;)