1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bell GSII - High Data Usage

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eastvan, Sep 3, 2011.

1. eastvan

eastvan Lurker

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into this, and I figure I'll ask here before phoning Bell and getting sucked into their black hole of customer service.

Bought the SII first day out on Bell - love it. Rooted and unlocked it (thnx Blue1K!) and took it over to Europe and had no problem with pay as you go sim cards. I came home last week and I have used 214MB of data in less than a week. There has to be something seriously wrong here. I have Titanium Backup installed and have frozen quite a few of the background crap, and that really helped the battery life.

When I am at home in the evening's I am on wifi so I am really only connected to data network during the day, maybe from 8am-6pm. I have all auto syncing turned off, and a few days ago i turned off background data thinking that may be the problem, but it persists.

When on data network, I never stream video (with one exception below). My usage during the day is probably on average checking my gmail 3-6 times (very low email volume, not downloading attachments), and doing maybe 5-20 minutes of websurfing max - some news sites (CBC, Globe&Mail), this site and one or two other other forum/blog sites.

The only thing i can see that may cause this is I video chat on skype, but no more than 4-6 minutes per day while on data and in total no more than 15-20 minutes this entire week. I just cant imagine that would casue this much usage.

For instance, when I look at my detailed usage on Bell, it shows that yesterday morning at 7:52am there was 44:13min of browser usage, which ate up 44.22MB. I know for a fact i want browsing at that time as i was likely on my way to work, and i don't browse for more than 5 min at a time. And even if i were browsing, given the kind of sites i look at, i just cant imagine it would eat up 1MB/minute. Usages shows a couple of other mornings this week as well with similar data usage.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jaliy

jaliy Android Expert

Video chat eats up A LOT of data

3. eastvan

eastvan Lurker

I'll cut that out next week to test, but the times of day on my usage summary arent even close, and i chat for 4-6 min, not 46 or 53 min.

4. Snazzy

Snazzy Android Enthusiast

Look for AP mobile in the battery usage. Even if you never use this widget it can be a data and battery hog.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews