• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Benefits of the $350 non-contract price?

I just posted this in another thread, sorry to those of you who have to read my posts twice, but I realized that this is a better place to discuss.

I am going to buy an iphone 4, on contract, sell it for the $800+ going price, buy a captivate off contract, and make $450+.

Why doesn't everyone do this? You get a better phone than an iphone 4 (in my humble opinion) and get paid $450.

I really do hope that the Captivate sells off contract for $350, seems too good to be true.
How do you intend on handling the issue of the different SIM sizes?

Will AT&T happily swap your SIM card twice like that?

Upvote 0
I'm on Pay2Go (have been for more than five years) and not interested in going postpaid so I can only get my phones at full price.

Granted I've never bought my phone from AT&T and this is the first time ever I'm crazy enough to actually think of getting an AT&T branded phone, but if the $350 no contract price for this phone is true (true to me, I realize that it's already true to a lot of people) this is too good a deal to pass up.

Upvote 0
I just posted this in another thread, sorry to those of you who have to read my posts twice, but I realized that this is a better place to discuss.

I am going to buy an iphone 4, on contract, sell it for the $800+ going price, buy a captivate off contract, and make $450+.

Why doesn't everyone do this? You get a better phone than an iphone 4 (in my humble opinion) and get paid $450.

I really do hope that the Captivate sells off contract for $350, seems too good to be true.

You are forgetting one thing! You had to pay $200 for the iPhone4 on upgrade. Then if you sell if for $800 (which they do go for that) you are sitting at $600 profit. From that $600 you buy the Captivate at $350 and you're left with a $250 profit.

Still a great deal and great idea, but not as much of a profit as you make it out to be :)

Upvote 0
Ok, I know my opinion is not truly wanted but I just felt like stating my 2 cents. I am almost certain people will start saving on there iPhone by just getting it at AT&T. Like others said, you can buy it off contract for 500$ or 600$. Sorry to burst your bubble but those auctions are quite rare, if you expect 800$ you probably won't get that in an auction. I have seen some items sell for half the price it sells from another auction. If you honestly believe you can make a 250$ profit, more power to you, but trust me people will come to there senses very soon. I would suggest you buy a phone YOU want and YOU want to use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones