• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best 2.2 Rom??

First I have to give the developers props for taking the time to come up with these 2.2 roms!

Now I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the 2 I've tried:
Kaos has Camera FC issues and wasn't as fast as I hoped it'd be.
Neosensikal (v. 15.2 I think I was on?) again wasn't as fast as I was hoping and I had to constantly reboot and battery pull. Especially when using the GPS. Nothing's more annoying than the two times in about 3 weeks that I actually needed the GPS to get me somewhere and it loses satellite lock halfway there. Also, no Google apps. Took me forever to find the Talk.apk. And I had issues updating any app that was saved to the SD card.
I've always had issues with the phone taking forever to load when receiving a call, and neither had Flash support.

Now disclaimer: I LOVE the Sense UI, and the minimalistic feel of Neosensikal just wasn't for me. Some people love that absolute zero bloatware though...

Flashed back to the stock 2.1 ROM. and it's faster than ever. What?! If someone knows a nice, fast Sense-ish rom with Flash support, let me know. Thanks!

Upvote 0
First I have to give the developers props for taking the time to come up with these 2.2 roms!

Now I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with the 2 I've tried:
Kaos has Camera FC issues and wasn't as fast as I hoped it'd be.
Neosensikal (v. 15.2 I think I was on?) again wasn't as fast as I was hoping and I had to constantly reboot and battery pull. Especially when using the GPS. Nothing's more annoying than the two times in about 3 weeks that I actually needed the GPS to get me somewhere and it loses satellite lock halfway there. Also, no Google apps. Took me forever to find the Talk.apk. And I had issues updating any app that was saved to the SD card.
I've always had issues with the phone taking forever to load when receiving a call, and neither had Flash support.

Now disclaimer: I LOVE the Sense UI, and the minimalistic feel of Neosensikal just wasn't for me. Some people love that absolute zero bloatware though...

Flashed back to the stock 2.1 ROM. and it's faster than ever. What?! If someone knows a nice, fast Sense-ish rom with Flash support, let me know. Thanks!

Yeah, a fresh stock 2.1 will run fine, but after a few days it turns to crap for some reason. Out of four Eris phones I've had, three of them did that. The fourth one, which my wife has, continues to run well on XTRSense.

I tried FroShedYo. It's definitely my favorite and most stable Froyo based Eris ROM, but the dialer sucks. Both my wife and I love the dialers that you can simply start typing the number corresponding with the letters of the name of the person you want to call and it instantly brings up the names of your contacts that match your characters. The stock dialer on my Fascinate does this, as does the stock Sense dialer from HTC. I believe you can install a 3rd party dialer, but that would put more stuff on the phone, and I'm afraid that the best dialers will probably have a cost of some kind attached.

Upvote 0
Nonsensikal. I used and liked v12.5 best myself. there are newer 2.2 roms and prettier 2.2 roms but I have yet to find any that function as glitch free or fast. Now I dont use it anymore because I use froshedyo (or whatever its called lol). It is cyanogen 6.2 based (vs Nonsensikal 6.1) and has several more features and great themes but Nonsensikal seems faster. I used Kaos for months and it kind of fell behind. I used it as my daily up until about v36 but stopped being quite as impressed after v34 which worked flawlessly. tried about 3-4 versions of CELB starting with 2.5 up to about 3.0 and always random reboots for no reason so I havent tried newer versions. Tried older Tazz roms and it was pretty good but its been too long ago to assess fairly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones