1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Best all-around protection for S7 Edge?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Sierra4ever, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Sierra4ever

Sierra4ever Lurker
    None

Aug 15, 2016
    Male
    Been looking for the best cases for a couple of days now, but there are soooo many and some reviews for each one all say 'dropped my phone and the screen cracked'. Can any of you guys that have this phone let me know what protection you have for it and how it's handled you dropping it?

Ideally, I'd rather have a back cover and then a glass screen protector over the top, but if a flip cover is actually better at protecting it then I'll get one of those instead.

All help would be appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Meh. Just have the OEM leather case (back cover, no flap). Good grippy texture so haven't dropped it in a significant way. The most is like a 3 inch drop over a wooden table because I wasn't looking when I picked it up. Good enough for me.

3. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    I got a Tech21 off eBay for £10 (EE were trying to flog it for £30 in their shop) and am happy with it. Feels quite good (but could be a tad grippier along back+sides if I'm being honest) and the Vol+Power buttons are still perfectly tactile and responsive.
    This doesn't offer screen protection however.
    Apart from a flip-cover then it looks like there's not much choice for screen protection, as there doesn't seem to be any quality true tempered glass screen protection available as yet (for the Edge). Seems like tempered glass only suits flat screens. All the flimsy screen protectors I've tried are hopeless as they do not stick properly along the edges, which will start bending up and gathering dust underneath in no time.

#3 Hawker, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  4. ironass

ironass Android Expert

Aug 17, 2010
    Male
    Keeping one step ahead of the tax man.
    Cotswolds, England
  5. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Aug 2, 2011
    Male
    UK
    Thanks for that butty.
    However there is a Huge XDA thread regarding this and it seems screen protectors for the edge are a waste of time at the moment.

#5 Hawker, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Snakeyeskm likes this.
  6. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    I have tried the works and here are my results, obviously different strokes for...............

Have tried and returned 2 of the top ranked and priced tempered glass protectors. They actually fit fine, but only have glued edges unlike earlier flat tempered glass protectors that had adhesive across the entire surface. That makes me question their protection (think of laminated wood versus loose wood sheets). However, neither of these protectors would allow you to use your choice of cases. Pretty much all of them would put pressure on the edges causing the protectors to bulge in the middle and lose adhesion. The very few cases that could work with these screen protectors were ugly and flimsy.
    As far as flip cases are concerned, they sound good and seem to work fine, but God help you if any grit gets between the flip cover and your screen.
    Take the best case you like for functionality and look, and then get a flexible, PET or equivalent screen protector. Personally I have found Armorsuits case friendly screen protector to be easy to apply, with minimal orange peel and as the name implies impervious to rolling up at the edges due to your case.

Hawker likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge launched in 2016 and was one of two of Samsung's flagship devices. The S7 Edge features a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 323GB of storage, and 12MP main camera sensor.