1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best Android GPS Jogging App?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by TomTom1313, Jan 8, 2012.

1. TomTom1313

TomTom1313 Lurker
    None

Nov 21, 2011
    Programmer
    South West
    Hi Guys,

What is the best GPS Sports Tracking App out there ?

I am currently using Sports Tracker but am wondering if it is the best one?

I want it for tracking distance, speed, route, time etc which the Sports Tracker app does but I have to hold the phone in my hand or it looses the GPS signal

Advertisement

2. Team420

Team420 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Maine, USA
    My tracks is good, gps map & compass is another good one, and locus, which is a bit tricky to figure out, but works the best.

3. DaveL83

DaveL83 Lurker
    None

Aug 20, 2012
    UK
  4. Virzi404

Virzi404 Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2012
    I've tried several, including Map My Run/Ride, Sports racker, and Endomondo. They were all good but not great. I've been using Strava for a couple months now, and it's my favorite. I'm a runner and a biker, and I like that it keeps the two integrated into single app (although you can install it under either title, Strava Bike or Strava run-- it all stays together and the only difference is the icon). It has a better dashboard than the others and a little more data. I've heard that Map My Run has come a long way in that regard too. It's been more than a year since I used it. My brother uses it, and when I showed him Strava the other day, he decided to switch. Strava's website has some functionality the others are missing when it comes to things like PRs and tracking progress on repeated routes.

As to your GPS signal issue, my experience has been that the hardware dictates your ability to maintain a good GPS signal, regardless of which app you're running. My dad's HTC is terrible. My Samsung Skyrocket great even when it's buried at the bottom of my Camel back in the woods, and my friend's Motorola RAZR is just as good.

5. Virzi404

Virzi404 Lurker
    None

Aug 21, 2012
    Also, if you ever want to compare the quality of the GPS hardware in two phones side by side, download a free app onto each called GPS Eessentals. It will give you a nice graphic of all available satellites, and the comparison is sometimes startling. Plus it's a lot of fun to have on an airplane.

6. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    I use RunKeeper. Well, I have RunKeeper. Saying I "use" it is a liberal rendering of the term. :D

7. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I use Cardio Trainer, which is free, for my running and jogging. I keep my phone in a belt holster and GPS is not effected. It has a lot of features and you can even back up your stats.