1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best Android to use with ST ?

Discussion in 'Straight Talk' started by xrae, Jan 20, 2014.

1. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Female
    What's the best Android to use with Straight Talk if I want to use Verizon towers? Based upon the coverage I need, I have to go with Verizon.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Showcase and it's a terrible piece of hardware. I've had it a year, it's been replaced by ST once, but it wasn't an issue with my particular handset -- it's the model that just doesn't work for me:

5 minutes to open Stitcher
    Constant rebooting, even when doing the most basic functions like receiving a call or text
    Laggy laggy laggy web browsing
    and so much more.

This phone wasn't cheap (250), but I paid about $225 too much for the hassle I've endured. It's time to move on to something else.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    You want fast? Note 3. You want reasonable? It's going to be laggy.

Fast and cheap are a see-saw - one end goes up when the other end goes down. You can't push both ends down at the same time. Cheap and fast isn't real.

Go into a Verizon store and check their phones out - they have live models for you to play with. Run a few apps at once and see how bad it gets. When you find one you like, ask the outright buy price. Then go to Straight Talk/Tracfone Compatibility Test put in the ESN and see if they'll accept it under ST. If it's bought for a Verizon no contract plan, they won't. (And you update it yourself - you're not a Verizon customer, so they won't, and ST doesn't do OTA updates. Tech support also won't give you much help.)

xrae likes this.
  3. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Straight talk's BOYP CDMA program generally only accepts 3g only phones. Moto G might be the best one available currently, though it would be best to test it to see if they'll accept it first.

la sal and xrae like this.
  4. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    You are not limited to just the phones straight talk branded. But like said your limited to none 4g phones with verizon towers.

Let me ask you though, do you really need verizon? I know t mobile is not always going to have coverage, in fact there are large rural areas that probably have no/little service. But straight talk also does byod for att towers and they do generally cover more rural area.

With ATT you can also use/get LTE and the phone selection is astonishingly large. In fact you can go with any of the latest T Mobile LTE phones and get both att and t mobile frequencies so you do not need a new phone is you want to switch later.

5. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Female
    Yeah, I do unfortunately need Verizon. I live adjacent to a rural area, and my parents live there. I have a business, so I need cell service even when in the mountains of Lee County, Va. Verizon is the only thing that seems to pick up in their hollar.

I'm not concerned so much about 3G vs 4G speeds -- I am often on wifi when I need data. I need a phone that's not going to up and croak if I ask such a wee task of it such as answering a call ... browsing through the gallery ... opening any app ...

Thank you all for the suggestions and info so far.

Edit -- I will ask around to see if the AT&T coverage is any better there than it was. Could be it's improved since I last checked it. If so, it sounds like an AT&T compatible phone would work.

Edit again --- AT&T coverage map says the area requires a 3G phone.

6. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    requires 3g just means they do not have lte coverage there. All 4g phones include 3g and 2g technology. Find a phone that you like and order the sim. Nice thing you can add the sim keep the number? or add the sim use a different number to test service without losing the reliable verizon coverage you have

xrae likes this.
  7. efanatic

efanatic Member
    None

Jul 8, 2013
    Male
    electrician
    Herford, NC.
    Straight talk has the Samsung s3 on Verizon towers. It is what I use. The phone is very quick and works very well. I also do not get any other cell service in my area other than Verizon

jackbquick123 likes this.
  8. xrae

xrae Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    Female
    Wanted to update and let everyone know that I went with a Verizon contract and got the Samsung S4. Been very pleased with it so far and the service is so far worth the extra ~$25 per month. I've said far fewer swear words with this phone. :)

HopeChastity likes this.
  9. Scur

Scur Android Expert
    None

May 1, 2011
    Male
    Illinois
    No. If you use a Verizon phone on Straight Talk, it cannot have lte. It can only be 3G CDMA. I've been through this with them over and over. Tried an HTC One, couldn't get it to go. If you have a lte phone, you have to be on AT&T or T-Mobile (or unlocked I'm assuming) and have to use those cards. There is no sim card for the Verizon route, and the phone can't even have a slot for one. Verizon phones over straight Talk makes for an extremely limited phone selection.

10. new optimus

None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    The post of mine you quoted was talking about att coverage. I had originally asked him if he NEEDED verizon, as an att phone using straight talk might be an option if the coverage was there.

11. arkbgirl

arkbgirl Newbie
    None

Sep 29, 2014
    Do you have the settings for straight talk I got Sims runs on art but I can't sent sms ease help😂

12. epp

epp Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 28, 2012
    Boston, MA
    The ZTE Majesty is a decent phone. Has plenty of memory and performs well. It's a Straight Talk CDMA phone for Verizon.