1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Best App for Creating GPS Tracks?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by djotaku, Dec 18, 2013.

1. djotaku

djotaku Newbie

A bit of Googling and a bit of looking on here shows that My Tracks is probably the best one, but I was curious to see if there were better ones out there. I have a https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/discontinued/etrex-vista-hcx/prod8703.html that I carry around when tracking biking or when I want to geotag my photos. However, it usually takes a long time to find the GPS satellites while the phone is usually very fast (I know it's not apples/apples, but the phone navigation was instant compared to my Garmin for the car which usually takes 2-5 minutes to find the signal). Plus I'd be able to carry one less thing. Also, the eTrex requires me to BUY maps if I want to have enough accuracy not to show me in the ocean when I'm walking on the boardwalk in Brooklyn.

One of the linked My Tracks posts (http://androidforums.com/android-applications/52152-my-tracks.html) seems to suggest that it's not as accurate as the Garmin to the point where if it was SUPER important for me to get the tracking right (say on a trip to Antarctica or something) I should use the Garmin eTrex and not the phone.

What do you guys think? And is there a program you prefer to My Tracks?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

My Tracks gets My Vote.

(see what I did there?)

But seriously, it's pretty good for what it is. I don't think that any other application will be more accurate - that depends much more on the accuracy of your phone's GPS receiver than it does on any application.

3. davism

davism Member

I have good luck with Maverick. It caches maps for offline use and you have several to choose from. But I'm going to check out my tracks now.

4. djotaku

djotaku Newbie

OK, I'll take a look at Maverick, but I'd be interested in your comparison.

5. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Good luck man sounds like a good idea :)