• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best app for tasks/to-do

I've tried several and most of them are awful, but some I've found so-so. I liked Springpad, but it got too annoying to keep up with both online and on the phone. Is there something simple you guys use, possibly with reminder alarms built in?

Thanks in advance!

Astrid - supports notifications, tags, online sync and priorities.
gtask - a very basic, quick task/todo list app. No notifications

Upvote 0
I love Astrid. Really cool, can input details like how much time a task might take to do, etc.

I also use Evernote because it acts almost like an Inbox that you can put voice notes, pictures, etc and it syncs online as well.

For the most simple of the simple, Color Notes work... I do like it for its simplicity, but I'm finding myself narrowing things down to Evernote for actual notes, etc.. (like how much someone owes me) and Astrid for actual tasks and grocery lists.

Reactions: godsdragon
Upvote 0
Anybody know of an app similar to LifeBalance for PalmOS? I'm seeing tons of GTD-type apps, but the GTD approach to recurring tasks seems to be to let the calendar handle them, and the stock calendar seems fairly miserable at that (it keeps having them recur on the wrong days, HTCSync syncs them unreliably, and there's no real way to "float" them). LB used to let me have a reminder pop up monthly or whatever, and it would just stay there until I checked it off, until it came near due again. Wonderful for recurring tasks at work that weren't tied to specific dates, keeping an eye out to make sure bills weren't lost in the mail, etc.

I'm hoping Pimlical will be able to handle these tasks (in which case I wouldn't need my todo app to handle it), but in the meantime I'm feeling a bit lost. :eek:

Edited to add: I'm looking for a solution that will be able to handle multiple projects and subprojects, as well as the abovementioned recurring tasks.

Upvote 0
Astrid is great if you want to pay the $25 to Remember the Milk.

Instead I went with Got To Do Lite... it has a great widget, syncs with ToodleDo.com, allows for various folders, and has many options.

I personally hate all the reminders, alarms, notifications etc. so to be honest I have no idea if it has that option.

i'm using astrid now and you don't have to pay the $25 to use RTM. i think it's only for RTM's official android app. astrid just pulls the data from RTM so you bypass paying the $25.

Upvote 0
I use gtasks because it syncs with my google calendar and the tasks show up on my pure calendar widget. One thing I wish was if one of these would show a small number next to the icon showing how many tasks you have. Todo on my iPhone did this and was nice. To Do Lite is just like it but doesn't show a notification icon that I know of.

Upvote 0
Astrid for tasks. Also, I am using Agenda Widget, which shows calendar dates and Astrid tasks, all color coded.

For other lists, notes, whatever, I've been using Springpad, which syncs online to an account. Bonus use: I have a bookmark on my PC Firefox, that when clicked, automatically adds the current page bookmark to Springpad online, and syncs to my phone's Springpad app.

Upvote 0
I downloaded Astrid, which seems to be doing a good job so far. But what is all this talk I keep hearing about Milk and RTM?

I used Springpad, but as soon as I tried to install it on my Inc (had it on my Eris working fine), the website would no longer recognize my username and password, and I didn't feel like setting everything up again. I might try it again just for remembering web pages and stuff, but I usually use delicious for that kind of stuff. I was just pretty much looking for something to annoy the crap out of me until I do what I have listed under to do.

Upvote 0
I have tried most of the applications out there and settled on Note Everything Pro. It lets you create all kinds of notes including text, paint (using finger drawn on screen sketches), voice, photos, checklists and something they call durable checklists (which make great reusable shopping lists or project task outlines, barcodes and Google doc notes. Yoi can attach a note to your calendar as a reminder, send a note to Google docs online, e-mail, text message or anywhere else. Also great is the ability to send information from other apps (which have the Android "share" option) like the web, twitter, etc. to Note Everything so you can save them with your own text etc. You can also pin notes to the status bar or a shortcut on your home screen. You can encrypt notes for security.

It seems to me to be the best all around application as far as power, flexability and integration into the phone operating system. Its not a piece of bloatware either. The free version does much of this, but for the 2.99 euros (about $4 or so US) the pro version is a steal.

Upvote 0
I use Astrid linked with RTM... it may be unclear from some of the other posts above, but this does not require the subscription fee. In fact, I'm not entirely sure what the benefits for using the official RTM app and paying the $25/year are, other than supporting RTM (which isn't a bad thing, IMO). Also, linking with RTM isn't a requirement to use Astrid... it just really provides a way for you to add tasks from a PC as far as I can tell.

Upvote 0
I've tried several and most of them are awful, but some I've found so-so. I liked Springpad, but it got too annoying to keep up with both online and on the phone. Is there something simple you guys use, possibly with reminder alarms built in?

Thanks in advance!

I really like Springpad because you can use it on both your phone And PC. I'm not sure what you mean by "keep up with both". They should synchronize together. . .

Upvote 0
FYI, the solution I came up with to my post above, was to switch to a 4x3 (I think) layout, with program links to both astrid and my calandar app below...

That said, I'm still interested to see if Pure Calendar widget (agenda) might offer more than I'm getting out of this set up now...

Also, are there any other Calendar applications worth looking into? The stock app (I'm guessing by HTC?) seems fairly sufficient to handle this need of mine. I wish that it had built-in tasks, and an agenda widget that included tasks, that way I could do away with having to have multiple programs to accomplish what I see as one class of job: personal organization.

That said, for me, there's a few things it would have to have. One, really, besides the above. It would have to have the ability to sync to Remember the Milk. I'm not a huge RTM guy or anything, but it is one way in which I am able to create tasks off of the phone. Admitedly, this isn't something I would have to do all that often, but it certainly helps when trying to construct a large list of tasks all at once. An alternative to RTM integration would be for google tasks to be worth anything. As far as I can tell, for the web app, you can only make simple lists...

Upvote 0
I use Astrid and rather than sync with RTM, I use it with Producteev, which is free and as detailed as you want (or don't want) it to be, as far as reminders, etc. Very solid.

I'm also trying both Evernote and Springpad and can't make up my mind. The phone versions of each and the online versions don't match at all like I'd like, and they both have bugs I personally don't like as far as intuitive GUI. These two both seem to be the most popular for basic quick note type stuff, but Astrid is awesome for major projects and accounting for deadlines, reminders, etc.

There are a few mentions in this thread I may try. Sigh.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones