• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lilmama88

Lurker
Apr 20, 2022
So I'm looking for the best apps that will do the following:
1) Recovering SMS/MMS texts that were deleted
2) Best app for recovering deleted photos/videos/documents/downloads
3) Best app for Texting (that actually respects your privacy and data and doesn't sell it to other companies)
4) Best app that will export Sms/mms to a PDF file (Google messages doesn't give the option to back up messages to SD card)

I use Google Messages, because obviously that's what come installed on the phone when I bought it. (I used to use a Galaxy S9 and I loved their app they used)...I am using a Moto G Stylus 2021 now and I hate it (I'm about ready to switch back to the S9 due to having wayyyyy more features)

Also is there a way to disable the permissions that apps request access to but literally they don't need to have access to it (ex. Microphone doesn't need access to Location, or Phone doesn't need access to Media and Files)

Also any input on how to get software on a PC that runs Windows that will recover things from both phone and SD card? And software that will actually bypass a screen lock on any phone (LG, Nokia, etc) that is free? Or if it costs that's fine as well.

So I'm looking for the best apps that will do the following:
1) Recovering SMS/MMS texts that were deleted
2) Best app for recovering deleted photos/videos/documents/downloads
3) Best app for Texting (that actually respects your privacy and data and doesn't sell it to other companies)
4) Best app that will export Sms/mms to a PDF file (Google messages doesn't give the option to back up messages to SD card)

I use Google Messages, because obviously that's what come installed on the phone when I bought it. (I used to use a Galaxy S9 and I loved their app they used)...I am using a Moto G Stylus 2021 now and I hate it (I'm about ready to switch back to the S9 due to having wayyyyy more features)

Also is there a way to disable the permissions that apps request access to but literally they don't need to have access to it (ex. Microphone doesn't need access to Location, or Phone doesn't need access to Media and Files)

Also any input on how to get software on a PC that runs Windows that will recover things from both phone and SD card? And software that will actually bypass a screen lock on any phone (LG, Nokia, etc) that is free? Or if it costs that's fine as well.
Very late to answer this, but:

1+2) Forget about recovering data that were deleted. Not going to happen. So the best bet is to make backups (and keep a copy somewhere other than on the phone, because if the phone is lost or destroyed you don't want to lose the backup). And if you are going to delete documents etc, use an app that doesn't delete instantly but moves files temporarily to a trash can before they are deleted, so that you have the option to recover them if you make a mistake. Or just don't delete stuff you don't mean to delete (which sounds glib, but for someone like me who mainly uses command lines for computing this is just what you have to do).

1) I use the venerable SMS Backup & Restore for backing up SMS (I actually use the paid version myself)

2) There's no single solution. Many people use Google Photos to back up their photos and videos. I find that using a USB lead and a computer to periodically back everything up is a sensible precaution.

3) What do you mean by "Texting"? Just SMS, or other message types (which require the recipient to use the same app but have better features)? For SMS I mainly use Textra, as faster and more customisable than Google's Messages or Samsung's app, but there are many out there.

4) Never wanted to do this, so have never looked into it.

Some permissions can be denied via the system Settings (look in Settings > Apps, find the app in question and click on Permissions). This has been available for some years now, though a very old phone won't have the ability.

Forget about file recovery from the phone. SD card is easy though: take it out, stick it in a card reader and run whatever file recovery software you like. I'm not a Windows user, but I understand that Recuva is free and as good as any.

You won't get answers on bypassing screen locks because if there was an answer to that (and I don't know of one) posting it here would be helping any phone thief with a search engine. And I hope you'll understand and not be offended if I observe that we have no way of knowing whether the person asking such a question has a legitimate need for it themselves, because someone with an illegitimate purpose in mind would rarely be dumb enough to say so ;).

Upvote 0
Chargebacks are the primary tool banks use to resolve credit card payment disputes. Most clients and business owners heard about this definition before. So I decided to discover more about what a chargeback is and came across this article: https://chargebackhit.com/blog/what-is-a-chargeback/ where I found lots of helpful information about chargeback reason codes, its prevention, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones