1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Best App to Download Music?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KustomChris, Aug 22, 2012.

1. KustomChris

KustomChris Lurker

Looking for a good music download app thats fast.
    Suggestions?

2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

For pure speed I don't think that you'll get much faster than a torrent client. As far as I know the mp3 downloaders available for the phone only allow you to download 1 file at a time.

3. Kamau

Kamau Android Expert

Please offer up more info. I've heard of torrents, but never really looked into them beyond a cursory peak.

4. OverByter

Not really something that's looked favorably on the forum. Just do a Google search and you'll find everything that you need. I personally use utorrent as a client. Uses minimal resources.

5. biggpat86

biggpat86 Well-Known Member

and there is even a utorrent remote app in the market. you can pretty much have all the functionality of the desktop program whilst you're on the go

6. RichardSeq

RichardSeq Member

I love to download my music on Google Music.

7. Kamau

Kamau Android Expert

I don't like Google Music. It's nowhere nearly as good or has as many options as PowerAmp.

Russ71 likes this.
  8. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Android Expert

Torrents and all music share programs are just a VERY fast way to use up your data, catch a virus/trojan, and get sued. At least on your home internet you can claim someone used your wireless. You have ZERO defense on a phone.

Besides that, there are much safer (free) ways to get music if you search.

9. coco3133

coco3133 Android Enthusiast

Unlikely tho

10. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Android Expert

True, of the 35,000+ suits filed, only a few have actually been sued in court, that is because most settled out of court for $3000.

As for the viruses and such, Limewire (and similar) is full of them. I'm constantly finding file sharing programs on computers I work on where they caught something.

If there are free and safe methods, why even put your self at risk?

Russ71 likes this.
  11. Rachel A

Rachel A Android Expert

Not to come across as a party pooper but, downloading copyrighted material is just plain wrong in my book.

You can whine all you want about where the money goes to (read The Music Labels) but it is what it is and it's illegal. Period.

There is no difference here between talking about pirating an app someone has written or stealing music en-mass.

Personally I do not think we should be discussing anything here that helps continue this practice.

There are plenty of sites around like Spotify that have a large catalog of streamable media that's completely legal.

Realize a lot of you will totally disagree and exclaim that the law is wrong etc. Well live with it. Everyone else has to why can't you? I personally hate the profits the oil companies make but I still buy their product because I need it.

Same with music - you want it, you pay for it (unless it is already copyright free).

12. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

Please stick to legit methods. Torrents are often used for piracy and we do not allow discussion of piracy here. Thanks!

13. Kamau

Kamau Android Expert

As I said, I have only given torrents a glance at and never really looked into them.
    I'll leave the legalities of them up to the lawyers & courts. Personally, I am more afraid of downloading malware & viruses, which is why I usually go the proper method. At the same time, and I'm being honest here, if I'm out & about, and hear a song I like, I will download it (credit cards are NEVER used on line. I've gone through identity theft once.).
    That being said, I have looked into torrents the last couple days, and think I'll pass. Too many avenues for bad stuff to get through.

14. OverByter

As you've stated, leaving legality aside, downloading a torrent is no more dangerous than downloading a single file from an untrusted source.

15. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

Just to clarify, a torrent file in and of itself is completely legal. It's when people torrent copyrighted material that it becomes illegal.

Also, the OP said nothing about downloading copyrighted music, just a good way to download music. Let's discuss this (steering clear of the illegal stuff) and keep the thread on topic. Try not to assume that they meant illegal activities as that was never mentioned by the OP (i.e. play it safe and give them the benefit of the doubt). If people discuss piracy (or any other illegal activity) we will delete it and/or lock the thread.

I've gotten quite a bit of music from the Google Play Store myself (or band/label sites themselves).

Raul720 and Russ71 like this.
  16. rivethead23

rivethead23 Newbie

If you want to stream there are many options, but I won't cover those as the OP said "download music". I am only covering legal purchasing and downloading of free (legally) music.

Google Music - Has a "free song" of the day and once in a while a free album (time limited). Pricing seems to be about on average with some decent sales popping up. No recommendations and the genres aren't granular enough to browse if you are looking for something other than a generic category. The main problem I have with Google Music is you have to use the play music app to download the content AND play it. So if you prefer another player (Winamp, Sense, whatever) you can't play what is bought and downloaded via the app. Last.fm scrobbling does work with the player. You can stream your catalog as well. Personally I feel the play interface isn't intuitive and is unpleasant to use. Your purchases do get stored in the cloud so you can delete and redownload at will.

Amazon Music - Like google music has some good sales, some free albums that don't seem to be as time limited. Seems the sales are often cheaper (I bought some albums on google music for $5 only to see them on Amazon for $2.99 a week later). Larger catalog than Google music, and the browsing is more granular (ie. metal category breaks into like 10 subcategories so if you are only looking for death metal you can filter it). As good as it sounds in practice I've found over time some things are miscategorized. They also have a recommended category I assume is supposed to pick things you will like. I listen to almost only metal, goth and industrial but it keeps recommending pop and classical. The stuff I do want almost never goes on sale and the price seems to be higher than some of the more popular genres, however when comparing to google music Amazon can be a buck or two cheaper than google music. The amazon mp3 store doubles as a player, however it is not nearly as full featured as some others. It's pretty straight forward to use so it's fairly user friendly. Scrobbling also doesn't work. However other players will see media downloaded via the amazon app so you can use it to download the music then play it in the player of your choice. (I use the sense player that comes with the evo 3g.) Your purchases are stored in the cloud and you can redownload them if needed.

Emusic - I subscribed to emusic for years (from 2007 til 2012) and only recently dropped them. Their catalog isn't nearly as comprehensive as amazon or google music, but for a long time they had more underground artists and less popular stuff than some of the alternatives. Their pricing structure is a little different as you pay a monthly fee and that allows you to buy music per month. By the nature of their system, the everyday price of an album will usually be cheaper than google music or amazon. They have their own app now (which I have never used so I can not comment). The biggest problem with emusic (and what lead me to leave) they began charging to "redownload" an album. So you have 1 chance to download it and if you delete it or something you actually have to pay to download it again. I cannot recommend them for this reason. You do "own the music" so to speak, and they will play in any player.

MOG - I used MOG for a few months. They are a monthly subscription service that allows you to download to your phone as music content as you want. Their catalog was much larger (for what I listen to) than rhapsody or emusic. On par with Amazon or google pretty much. There are a number of caveats however. You can only play music in their MOG app, and it's pretty aweful IMHO. It has few features and the interface is rather unintuitive. It doesn't support Last.fm scrobbling (the say they do through their website but I could never get it working). Downloading files were slower than amazon or google too. You can only listen to your content on ONE device at a time, and if you cancel your membership you can no longer access it. You don't "own" the music persay you just have access to it as long as you are a member. You can stream music too but from what I have seen even on my fios connection it breaks up.

Rhapsody - perhaps someone else can comment on this service as I never joined it, however the reason I didn't is the catalog for what I want was limited.

My approach - I check google music daily and see what they have on a good sale / free. If I want to buy something I usually check Amazon - they usually are on average cheaper and have more stuff.

Basically if you want to buy go with Amazon. If you want to have a large collection of music you don't own but can listen to and can deal with the fairly bad player, MOG is a reasonable alternative.

agentc13 likes this.