1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Best approach for rooting 1.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Girevik, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Girevik

Girevik Android Enthusiast

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    I have a brand new nook that is running 1.3, and I want to get it rooted. With 1.4 out now, I'm wondering what my best approach is. Should I wait until I get the 1.4 update and then do the root?

If that is the case, is there a way to force the update to come quicker? If that's not the case and I go ahead and root now, will I eventually get 1.4 (and if so will I have to root again)?

Advertisement

2. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    You can download the update via your computer, copy it to your NC and it'll update it. More info here: NOOK Color

3. Girevik

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    Now someone is saying that rooting with the current files on 1.4 doesn't really work. If I root now, will it still automataically pick up the 1.4 update, and if so will that un-do my root? I really would like to get some of my son's software on it, but it's turning into more of an ordeal than I had thought.

4. Girevik

Dec 18, 2010
    Computer Geek
    Columbus, OH
    Not to turn into that guy that's continually bumping his own threads, but.......

I've been doing some poking around on the XDA forums (I always feel like a drop out delivering a pizza to a Mensa mixer over there), and the more reading I do the more confused I get.

Just to recap, I have a nook 1.3 that I bought for my son. The reason I chose the nook was because I could put the market on it and give him the games he's always playing on my phone. I'd LIKE to keep the stock reader as well because he's only 7 and I like the read to me feature on it as well. My first attempt to root was an abject failure, and now with 1.4 coming out I'm totally lost.
    From my poking around at XDA, here is some of what I gather:

- The market doesn't work when you use the current root files on 1.4. Or does it? There doesn't seem to be a consensus
    - Some nooks with 1.3 get the boot loop when using the two "current" nooter files (that's what I experienced), but you can use the older file and just have an older market

At this point, I'd really like to know what my options are. Right now I'm sitting at 1.3, and may (or may not...I think I might have goofed the first root process up) have one of those nooks that hangs. My #1 priority is the market, and #2 (1A?) is keeping the reader. What are my options for this? Or do I just create a bootable SD card and give him a plain Android tablet until this all washes out?