• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best apps for young children

artbytes

Android Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2011
I would like to install some educational and some fun apps for my grandsons, ages 5 and 6, on a 7" tablet. They are just beginning to read, and could still use practice with letter sounds and early sight words. They enjoy the math apps at their level. Fun stuff OK, too. Would love to hear good suggestions. Thanks.

honestly, what I did was go to the education catagory in the market and scrolled through the Top Free section. It blew my mind how much was out there!

I'm giving my kids our old phones (droid 2) to use as an "ipod" for xmas. I've been spending the past month setting them up, d/ling apps and games and free txting. I haven't tried any of the apps myself, but give it a browse.

Also theres an app called Kid TV. It searches youtube for kid appropriate videos and displays the list.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'll go do a search on educational.

When I was loading some things on to my tab before, I found that a lot of the free kids apps have links for purchasing more items in them. I think it's a good idea to test out what you put on their devices. I'll also be looking for a way to prevent them from buying any thing at the play store without a password. I haven't tried that, yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones