• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best apps to sd card app? + Correct intentions??

There is nothing wrong with moving apps from the phone to your SD; I would say a lot of android users follow this practice. You just gotta make sure that the app your moving can work properly while on the SD (for example, some (most?) apps won't be able to use widgets while on the SD).

As to the best app for the job, I'm currently using App2SD, which pretty much gets the work done. There are three tabs: the first one shows you which apps currently on your phone can be moved to your SD, the second one shows the apps already on your SD and the third one shows you which apps are phone-only; with that said, there are very few complications in regards moving apps to/from the SD.

Reactions: uzee
Upvote 0
To be quite honest, I've done so many things to my phone since I got it (save of bricking it) that I didn't pay attention to any difference in performance of apps used in the SD opposed to having them on the phone.

For me, the most important thing, is the fact that I save space on the phone's internal memory, which in my case is really low. I can always delete songs on my SD or, if things get that far, buy a bigger SD; can't really do that with the phone.

Upvote 0
I've noticed some smoother operation. Computing devices need room to "breathe" when it comes to memory and storage -- which is why it warns you quite a bit before you run out.

Anyways, if you are comfortable with installing the SDK, you can move apps to the SD pretty easily:

Moving apps to SD with ADB

(The thread is about the nexus one, but should apply ok to any phone)

Upvote 0
My phone cant find the App2SD app in the market. I have 2.1, do i need 2.2 or something?

App2SD downloaded, installed, and worked fine on my phone under Froyo (2.2) and still works fine under Gingerbread (2.3). So yes, it could well be that you need Froyo or higher to be able to install and run App2SD, although there is no indication of that in the info on the Market. But the fact that App2SD doesn't even show up in the Market for you is of course a strong indication.

You can also try to download App2SD from https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd&hl=en to your PC or Mac, then copy it to your SD card , and then install from there on the phone

Reactions: uzee
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones