• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help best back up app?

I haven't heard about apps backing up and reinstalling. How do I go about that?

Yep, that don't happen with google.
You can back up with Astro my favorite non root backup app. Also get sandisk memory zone beta. Nice if you accidently wipe card.

All your apps are tied to your google account so as long as you use the same phone with the same google account, they'll re download after a flash/factory reset. I've flashed countless ROMS and this always happens.

Alternatively, if you head here, sign in to your google account, click My Library, then apps, you'll be presented with a list of all the apps you've ever installed and you can install them remotely. The data isn't backed up, just the app itself so you'll lose game progress etc.

Also, paid apps will travel with you across handsets (as long as the same gmail account is used on each).

Upvote 0
All your apps are tied to your google account so as long as you use the same phone with the same google account, they'll re download after a flash/factory reset. I've flashed countless ROMS and this always happens.

Alternatively, if you head here, sign in to your google account, click My Library, then apps, you'll be presented with a list of all the apps you've ever installed and you can install them remotely. The data isn't backed up, just the app itself so you'll lose game progress etc.

Also, paid apps will travel with you across handsets (as long as the same gmail account is used on each).

I have factory reset so many times on several phones while doing google backup and yet seen my apps auto download, even on the same handset. Evidently I am doing something wrong.

Upvote 0
I love Titanium Backup. I purchased it 2 years ago and it has saved my soul numerous times. I love how it a new version stinks you can roll back but restoring from last backup. I love freezing apps, detaching from market, and numerous other life saving features.

At first it can be daunting but the developer is magnificent and constantly improving the product.

Upvote 0
+1 for the titanium backup recommendations, if was only allowed 1 paid app, that would be it.

leroybrute, after the factory reset, are you linking your gmail account then heading to the market or heading to the market, then linking your gmail account when it opens?

I always link google, email, twitter, facebook during setup after factory reset. I have 11 lines between 2 accounts and same thing everytime. Then I go to the market. Once in a while I will get an app or 2 but rarely. I just use astro now. Astro backup beta is out now which will be nice. I have a tbolt and droid x rooted that I use tibu on.

Upvote 0
Every time I've factory reset, I've had to manually download apps. I've always signed in with my Google account too. So if there's a way to have the market auto download I'd sure like to know how to do it.

It should do it automatically? If you head to Settings -> Privacy, are Backup My Data and Auto restore selected?

Upvote 0
I've never had mine auto download either. I'm not rooted and use My Backup Pro. It will save whatever you want, or everything and then restore all of the apps just like you had them when you did the factory reset. It will also delete any contacts on your phone before restoring them so there aren't a lot of duplicates. You do lose your game data though.

I haven't seen Astro backup. I'll check it out, but so far I've been happy with My Backup Pro.

I can't find Astro Backup. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is it part of the Astro File Manager?

Upvote 0
I've never had mine auto download either. I'm not rooted and use My Backup Pro. It will save whatever you want, or everything and then restore all of the apps just like you had them when you did the factory reset. It will also delete any contacts on your phone before restoring them so there aren't a lot of duplicates. You do lose your game data though.

I haven't seen Astro backup. I'll check it out, but so far I've been happy with My Backup Pro.

I can't find Astro Backup. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is it part of the Astro File Manager?
Astro file manager. Works great for me. My backup pro should work the same. I do my backup with it. Saves to my ext. card then when I do a reset or get a new phone I reinstal astro then go to the ext sd file and reload my apps.
I dont get how I cant get google backup to reload apps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones