• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best browser for 2.2.1?

aovaici

Jul 21, 2011
Okay so the question is preety easy for you guys I hope. I am running the TEAM CHICKENEATER ROM on my new LG Optimus M 2.2.1. I dont know if that matters but what I am wondering is what is the best browser out there? The MetroPCS browser annoys the SHIT out of me, the interface annoys me, the lack of tabs, the booksmarks, everything preety much.

I LOVE Opera Mobile but for some reason it doesn't seem to support Flash even though the Metropcs browser does? It sais plugin missing when I go to bestofyoutube.com where all the videos are suppose to be. And my most favorite browser by far, Firefox, is unsupported :( /cry

So what I am asking is what is the best browser for Android 2.2.1 and specifically the Chickeneater ROM (if that matters) THAT ALSO SUPPORTS FLASH?

Thank you all for your opinions in advance,
Ash

...for some reason it doesn't seem to support Flash even though the Metropcs browser does? It sais plugin missing when I go to...

...So what I am asking is what is the best browser... THAT ALSO SUPPORTS FLASH? ....

This phone absolutely has not, cannot, and will not, in any way shape or form, regardless of your wildest hopes and dreams, regardless of the rom or version of Android, *ever* support Adobe Flash. The reason being is that an ARMv7 processor is required for Flash support, and this phone has an ARMv6 processor. It doesn't work. Neither LG nor MetroPCS like to admit it, but it doesn't work. Even though Froyo can handle flash, the phone hardware can't. Here's a link to an existing thread for beginners that points this out first thing: http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...e-asking-mostly-noob-proof-guide-updated.html

Don't take my words harshly, I'm just trying to drive the point home lol.

However, I found a thread that suggests a cracked flash player for previously incompatible devices, so I'll test it and get back to you. In the meantime, aside from flash, there's not going to be a perfect fit between any particular app, version of android, and especially custom rom. The closest to that is just when you try out an app, you get a feel for how well it's designed, and how well it's meshing with the rest of your phone's system. that's any app though. I would just search the android market for browsers, check the reviews and ratings, and try a few out. You can actually search the market on your computer if you get tired of looking at a tiny screen for everything, and then you can find other sites with people's commentary and reviews on each app sometimes. good luck!

EDIT: As noted above in the italics, I tested it. It doesn't work lol. Below is a link that lists the devices it's been working on, and of course, every variant except the Optimus M is listed. lol.

http://androidcampus.blogspot.com/2011/07/app-working-adobe-flash-player-for.html

Upvote 0
To the comment above, unless I'm misunderstanding you, are you saying that the LG Optimus M cannot play flash? Are youtube videos flash, because my phone without any modding can play them just fine.

Short answer. We can't play flash because the phone's processor isn't strong enough. The processer can't be fixed by different ROMS and therefore you will NEVER be able to play flash. If you want to watch youtube videos then get the youtube app. That's your only choice.

Upvote 0
To the comment above, unless I'm misunderstanding you, are you saying that the LG Optimus M cannot play flash? Are youtube videos flash, because my phone without any modding can play them just fine.

Mikenly got it right. Youtube videos normally use flash, but can also play via other means (I'm guessing java). To correct part of what he's saying though, you can still go to YouTube in your browser, and click on the video, but instead of opening within the browser page, it opens the Gallery's default movie feature and runs the video there. The YouTube app has its own player though. But beyond that, yep--no flash.

Upvote 0
Also you can download skyfire which supports flash through them hosting. If you would like video flash your only option is to download the paid for skyfire app.

Skyfire's still free, but the video feature is now a trial-to-paid option for those who haven't used skyfire on their phones in the past.

Truth is though, every time I've tried skyfire, it hasn't worked as claimed. And actually, all they claim to do is translate flash *videos* through their server into HTML 5. Says nothing about interactive flash games, flash ads, entire websites based on flash, etc.

I just tried Skyfire again to verify my claims. I went to watch a movie clip on ign.com, and the only clip that skyfire pulled from the site was the 30 second advertisement video that would normally play right before the video. I tried a second time, making sure to let the page fully load***, and then had the same result.

***: I say I let it fully load, because compared even to the stock browser, Skyfire seems to be achingly slow. To be more accurate, load times may be similar, but attempting to scroll through the page in skyfire before loading has finished is like trying to fit a square into a circle. Thus it lends to the appearance of a slow browser.

Upvote 0
This phone absolutely has not, cannot, and will not, in any way shape or form, regardless of your wildest hopes and dreams, regardless of the rom or version of Android, *ever* support Adobe Flash. The reason being is that an ARMv7 processor is required for Flash support, and this phone has an ARMv6 processor. It doesn't work. Neither LG nor MetroPCS like to admit it, but it doesn't work. Even though Froyo can handle flash, the phone hardware can't. Here's a link to an existing thread for beginners that points this out first thing: http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...e-asking-mostly-noob-proof-guide-updated.html

However, I found a thread that suggests a cracked flash player for previously incompatible devices, so I'll test it and get back to you. In the meantime, aside from flash, there's not going to be a perfect fit between any particular app, version of android, and especially custom rom. The closest to that is just when you try out an app, you get a feel for how well it's designed, and how well it's meshing with the rest of your phone's system. that's any app though. I would just search the android market for browsers, check the reviews and ratings, and try a few out. You can actually search the market on your computer if you get tired of looking at a tiny screen for everything, and then you can find other sites with people's commentary and reviews on each app sometimes. good luck!

EDIT: As noted above in the italics, I tested it. It doesn't work lol. Below is a link that lists the devices it's been working on, and of course, every variant except the Optimus M is listed. lol.

ANDROID CAMPUS: [APP] WORKING ADOBE FLASH PLAYER FOR ARMv6 ( ARM 11) ANDROID MOBILE PHONES

Okay okay, then why does bestofyoutube.com work on the Metro browser and not opera if the phone absolutely does not support flash? And I was under the impression that youtube videos WERE flash? What am I missing?

Also I am going to go checkout your link as well :D

Upvote 0
Okay okay, then why does bestofyoutube.com work on the Metro browser and not opera if the phone absolutely does not support flash? And I was under the impression that youtube videos WERE flash? What am I missing?

Also I am going to go checkout your link as well :D

Because bestofyoutube.com just has embedded youtube videos. Youtube rewrote their mobile site to use HTML 5 instead of Flash, whereas youtube normally uses Flash otherwise: Goodbye Flash: YouTube mobile goes HTML5 on iPhone and Android ? Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com

Note that that link is a year old. That means this fact was established long ago lol. It's okay though. You're not the only one who wishes reality was something different haha.

Upvote 0
If I may interject and return to the question posted by the OP, and since we all know support for flash is out of the question... what is the better browser for 2.2.1?

I've tried Dolphin and Skyfire and have been satisfied with Skyfire thus far, but is there a better one? Preferably streamlined or with minimal memory footprint?

Upvote 0
I don't know about which ones take up more or less memory. So far I like Dolphin HD better than Skyfire. I tried Skyfire again after seeing this thread, and it was notably slow. They do have a partial advantage though with their video feature, even though it doesn't always work the way you want it to. I described above where it only picked up the advertisement video clip instead of the actual video that followed it.

Other popular browsers are Opera Mobile and Opera Mini. Opera Mobile I have yet to try and I'll need to mess around with Mini more before I can offer a solid opinion of it, but the difference between the two stated by Opera is explained here: Opera Mobile - Difference between Opera Mobile 10 and Opera Mini 5

Upvote 0
Opera Mini Fastest on the 1X Network for me

That makes sense based on how they describe how it works. pages first go through their server and get compressed to like 1/10 of the size, and then your browser downloads the compressed version to display for you. So even though we metro folks aren't saving any more money that way, it seems like it should save us all some patience lol. I'll have to try it next time I have to use 1x.

I leave WiFi on all the time anymore (letting it shut off @ screen off) because most of the time I'm on a college campus where there's wifi in every single building that I go into including the dorm I live in. I made the switch some time shortly after getting Google+, and I haven't looked back really. 1x just sucks that bad most of the time lol.

On rare occasions I've had 1x be reasonably fast for what it is, but that was when I was in an area where I had a consistently super duper strong 4 bar signal. At that point it was probably almost as good as average-signal 3g. But that's rare. Usually I have to keep the phone awake while a page is loading if I'm using 1x on the stock browser lol.

Upvote 0

[APP] WORKING ADOBE FLASH PLAYER FOR ARMv6 ( ARM 11) ANDROID MOBILE PHONES | Android Campus

teh_dude, Flash player will work on the Optimus M, if you get Kelso's Modified 2.2.2 Optimus M's rom, which has the factory launcher removed and replaced with the ADW launcher and also has most all of the Metro PCS bloatware removed, and the ROM runs smooth and clean.

Okay if you want to get the adobe flash to work on a Optimus M phone get Kelso's rom and install the flash player listed on the 7th page that I posted there, that flash player works, I posted the apk and the zip, for your phone you want the apk. Get the zip to just in case. But with kelso's rom, that flash player will work with the Optimus m.

Link to Kelso's ROM on the first page of the thread.

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...pdated-1-20-12-ics-mint-theme-pbot-added.html

Link to to the Flash Player 11 on the 7th of the thread that the flash player is on. Scroll down to my post and download and enjoy.

http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...ated-1-20-12-ics-mint-theme-pbot-added-7.html

Vulcan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones