1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Best Browser For the Tab

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lekky, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Cobravision

Cobravision Android Expert
    None

Jul 8, 2010
    I'm using Miren browser right now. I go to lots of forums, and the ability to go back to the previous page without having to reload like Dolphin saves me a ton of time.

Advertisement

2. vigin

vigin Lurker
    None

Aug 29, 2010
  3. Beards

Beards Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    Why don't you just create a New Tab, then when you have finished and want to get back simply close the tab and click back on the tab you originally came from.

I operate Dolphin HD with many Tabs open doing it this way.

4. Cobravision

None

Jul 8, 2010
    Because Dolphin is very slow in rendering the pages completely, I end up pressing the wrong links. Besides, why bother opening the pages in other tabs when I don't have to?

Dolphin does other squirrelly stuff like not reacting to a press and hanging for a while until loading it.

Dolphin hasn't been the same since the froyo upgrade.

5. Beards

Beards Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    Then I guess we must both be using different versions of the Tab's ROM as on mine Dolphin has no issues in opening new tabs. I take it you have it set to 'On-Demand' for additional content?

We must also have different uses to Dolphin. You clearly are against using additional tabs as I note from what you mention above.

The simple answer to this for me is I like to have one page as the static master from which I then build an outward list of new pages created on new tabs. This way I often end up with several pages open available to look at by a simple click on the tab bar.
    I can then much more quicker switch between tabs rather than having to use one single page as the prime for going to a new page then backward followed by 'click', reload new page and backwards again etc. etc. One solitary page makes it so difficult to navigate, especially if you are compiling a list of information displayed on several pages.

6. lekky

lekky Lover
    None

ignore my first post, Miren browser is the one for me.

7. Cobravision

None

Jul 8, 2010
    Mine's the Sprint one. I assume yours is as well. And it's set to on-demand. But the same issues that led me to dropping Dolphin HD on my Evo are all there on the SGT. It's slow to load pages completely and worst of all, if you press on a link as it's loading, it won't respond until the page completely loads, at which point after the page is formatted (which itself is slow), the area where I pressed the link is now a different link and it goes somewhere else. So I go back, but Dolphin has already dumped that page so I have to reload it for the link. It's just so frustratingly slow that I had to ditch Dolphin. It did not do this before froyo -- I loved Dolphin on 2.1. I don't have the patience for it now.

Oh, and the other frustrating issue with Dolphin is that it frequently does not give me feedback that it's doing anything after pressing link. I have no idea if it's loading the link or if it's just hanging.

I'm not against it, and I use tabs all the time on my desktop browser, but it's just not how I browse on my phone. I will say this -- Miren gives you the option of opening the tab in front or behind. Dolphin forces you to pick either or as a default. So if you like opening tabs, Miren might actually be better.

And like I said, the ability to really jump back to the previous page and not have to reload means I'm not forced to open tabs. Your method is the only way to make Dolphin even usable.

8. Beards

Beards Android Expert
    None

May 14, 2010
    Snr Consultant Surgeon
    Chesterfield UK
    No, I don't have the Sprint Tab, I have a UK Tab and I think this is where we have the differences.
    Regardless, if you are happy with your browser of choice then that's all that really matters.
    Pleased you found the right browser. :)

9. Beerkan

Beerkan Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    Blighty
  10. Guitar4him

Guitar4him Member
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Network Administrator
    I currently using Dolphin Browser HD ver 4.2.0 on my Galaxy Tab. What's the difference between it and the one you have linked to here?

BTW...I think it works great on the Tab.....and also, on my Droid X.

11. AmneonX

AmneonX Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    http://www.androidwaypoint.com
    Michigan
    I have Opera Mini, Dolphin HD, Skyfire, and Firefox installed on my tab. I am currently testing those along with the regular browser. I have used Dolphin, Firefox, and Default more than the other 2 so far.

12. monsterenergy22

monsterenergy22 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 19, 2009
    Opera Mobile is working great for me!

13. LaTuFu

LaTuFu Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Project Manager
    Virginia
    Dolphin HD with full screen addon rocks.

14. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Android Expert
    None

May 17, 2010
    Edge of Insanity
  15. gihad2

gihad2 Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    hi my friends
    please can you tell me how can i make mobile view in the device browser
    my device is samsung galaxy s9003

16. YamaKing

YamaKing Newbie
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    I like the stock browser for overall use. I really like the way the screen real estate is maximized by not having any tabs on the top. Scrolling up and down web pages is silky smooth, and double tapping does a good job of zooming into text blocks.

Tried Dolphin HD and it feels like Microsoft IE, always asking me to make it the default browser, annoying. It also ran kind of slow and laggy on my tab, although I have upgraded to GBread via Odin. Dolphin HD seems very cimplicated, a swipe left does this, a swipe right brings up this menu, a different swype brings up Facebook, etc. The stock browser is simple, it just works.

Now experimenting with Dolphin Mini and I like it much better than Dolphin HD. I like the little transparent "back" button on bottom left hand side. It's more simple and streamlined than HD. It's also easier to make new tabs by hitting the "+" near the top. I don't like the way the tabs sit at the top however, as it takes up real estate but it's not terribly intrusive.

I've read many accounts by people who never bothered with the stock browser. I wonder how many of those people are in this thread? It's inconceivable to me that you wouldn't even bother with the stock browser. Don't you think there might be something of value in the stock software that came with your tablet?

17. oseloth

oseloth Lurker
    None

Aug 1, 2011
    I just innstalled miren. Looks good. But.I am wondering is there any.browser that will keep tabs in memory after closong the app for some.time. I used.to jave iphone and.safari could have opened up to 7 pages for.days. Even.if he losse data of tje page the link is still in memory

18. Iceman350

Iceman350 Newbie
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    If you hit the home button instead of the back arrow Dolphin stays running with your tabs open. I haven't left it that way for periods of time though, so I don't know if it eventually closes.

19. JayinToronto

JayinToronto Newbie
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    I've tried a couple of browsers but return to the stock cause it seems to run fastest. I really hate having to go through a three step process to get to another tab. That is the biggest drawback IMHO

20. ziffos

ziffos Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Retired in 1994 at age of 45
    East Coast UK
    Tried most of the others but returned to the Stock Browser.

21. Polo63119

Polo63119 Member
    None

Jan 14, 2010
  22. 5tevie

5tevie Newbie
    None

Sep 13, 2010
    Male
    I retired on the 16th of March 1995. My 45th birth
    Blackburn, Lancs. A small city in the North West o
    Everybody seems to be banging on about how "pretty" a webpage looks when using a particular browser, or maybe how simple it is to change the colours of the header.
    Does that kind of thing really matter? All I want is a browser that loads the page quickly and with no fuss.
    Maybe I'm just getting old, :)