• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Best Browser

akenis

Nov 2, 2009
Who's using a browser other than stock? Pro's and cons?

Stock: Can't open an important https:// site. No bookmark sync? Gonna suck when I have to hard reset!

Opera Mini: Loved it on Winmob. Sync bookmarks and fast. Wouldn't run on my moment.

Dolphin: Saw a suggestion on another thread. What do you think?

Who's using a browser other than stock? Pro's and cons?

Stock: Can't open an important https:// site. No bookmark sync? Gonna suck when I have to hard reset!

Opera Mini: Loved it on Winmob. Sync bookmarks and fast. Wouldn't run on my moment.

Dolphin: Saw a suggestion on another thread. What do you think?
Dolphin is by far the best mobile browser i have seen!

Upvote 0
Uninstalled Dolphin. Didn't think it was really any better than the native browser. I didn't notice any speed difference and to me, that is what it is about.

Opera mini has always been the best in that category. I sure hope they get it working on this phone. Until then, this is the fastest non opera mini hone I have ever used.....faster than the Hero for sure....stock for stock....although Opera mini did work on the Hero and then it was no contest.

Upvote 0
Wow, Opera Mini isn't working on the Moment??? I wonder why? I'm getting the Moment this in a couple of weeks and was hoping in installing Opera Mini as one of my first app downloads for the phone, but if you say it isn't working, then maybe I'll try the Dolphin since others are giving such good reviews on it.

The last update was June. Before the Moment, Hero, Droid, Eris and a host of other Android phones that Mini doesn't work with came out. It appears that Android isn't high on Opera's priority list, maybe because unlike WM and BB, the default Android browser works very well. Dolphin improves on the default browser experience in ways that Opera doesn't attempt.

Upvote 0
Opera mini works on Samsung Galaxy from the first day, even 5beta mini works with j2me, but with few quirks.

Probably due to its older qualcomm chip design. What I won't accept is another browser running in a java virtual machine like the way Mini worked with WM. Mini worked well and was faster than the poorly designed native browsers, but had no connection to the rest of the phone without some convoluted hack like jzsmartmort. Going forward, I want one browser that opens when I click on a link in any other program. Not one browser for speed, one for java, one for flash content, one for social networks...etc.

Upvote 0
I can't get the gestures to work for "select text"...it keeps forwarding instead. Otherwise, this is a ridiculously intelligent browser. Also, the zoom function is annoying and not being able to do a quick scroll like the default browser makes it difficult on long pages. The safari browser on the iphone is still my favorite usability wise.

Edit: nevermind I figured out the zoom feature

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones