1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Best buy black tie insurance worth it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by acandia007, Aug 10, 2010.

1. acandia007

acandia007 Member

Jul 16, 2010
    I just got the best buy insurance plan last weekend because my phone fell n it got chips on it >.>.
    but than decided if i get a full body screen protector plus a case(case on the way from ebay =D) i dont think ill be needing the best buy one.
    because it is 10$ a month... do you guys think its worth it.
    btw is the zagg full max worth it because i am getting it for 12 dollars..
    and by any chance since i got it like three days ago can i cancel it and get my 10 bucks back?

Advertisement

2. baji

baji Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I used to work for Geek Squad, and I was there when we rolled out the Black Tie Protection plans. They are not worth it in my opinion. On a laptop, yes, I can see the merits of the accidental damage coverages. But, the plans are incredibly over priced. You can get insurance through ATT, I believe it is $5 a month.

Sizzlemoonsong likes this.
  3. myrv

myrv Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I specifically bought my phone from BestBuy for the insurance plan. Normally I would say that an insurance plan isn't worth it, but I think it depends on personal circumstances. Also, anything short of an Otterbox Defender isn't really going to protect your phone from damage other than minor scratches. I am plugging Otterbox here because I once dropped my 3GS from 15 feet up onto a concrete floor and it protected it without any damage.

The reasons I bought the plan were this. I didn't want a bulky case so I bought a body glove (though considering a full zagg cover instead). BestBuy's warranty has no limit on the number of claims and has a ZERO deductible, if there were a deductible I wouldn't have gotten it.

I think the most important thing is to ask yourself how often you have dropped your prior phones and from what heights, etc. In my line of work I am rough on phones, so the warranty is worth it, if you are not, then it probably isn't.

EDIT: AT&T does usually offer cheaper insurance, but you usually end up having a high deductible and I do not think it covers as many things as the BestBuy warranty (though I am not 100% on that). My theory is, I am only keeping the phone for a year before I upgrade, so why not make sure that I can sell the phone when that year is up. I should at least get back the $120 I spent on the plan if nothing else (not like we are getting robbed with the $15 a month iphone plan BestBuy has).

Sizzlemoonsong and Ezduzit08 like this.
  4. acandia007

acandia007 Member

Jul 16, 2010
    yeah i looked that up but for att there is a deductible which is 125 bucks =/
    n best buy doesnt have any.
    but best buy sucks with their service

5. baddress

baddress Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    If you, like me, constantly spill things down the front of you, having insurance on your black tie is definitely worth it.

6. Respen

Respen Active Member

Jul 19, 2010
    If I had known about best buy's $10 insurance I would have gotten my phone there instead of AT&T, I hate going without insurance but 125 bucks for a deductible is ridiculous.

7. dragonfire6

dragonfire6 Member

Jul 26, 2010
    AT&T insurance covers lost & stolen phones and that sold me...

8. chaso

chaso Member

Mar 29, 2010
    get the black tie insurance.

i destroyed my backflip and it was declared a junk out thereby giving me a $500 (the value of the backflip) store credit towards the outright purchase of a brand new phone. here i am, a week later, having only paid $100 out of pocket for my captivate (new $549.99 +tax).

do it do it. well worth the $10. you get up to 2 replacements per year and they service your phone if you mess it up.

9. baji

baji Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Unless things have changed in the time since I left Geek Squad, you get one replacement. After you replace the insured item your policy is considered fulfilled.

As for service, what that really means is, the in-store agents mail your phone out to a warehouse where they perform the service, and then mail it back. 2-3 week turn around time.

10. chaso

chaso Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Pretty sure it's 2 now since the pamphlet states it. Regardless its worth every penny in my eyes.

11. DaMajorPayne

DaMajorPayne Active Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Should i pay 170bux for a 2 year warranty from BestBuy on my $230 no contract captivate?

And if you get a replacement phone is it one of your choosing for the same price or do they give another captivate?

12. Sizzlemoonsong

Sizzlemoonsong New Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I do recall the best by guy who activated my phone saying their earrenty covers water damage where the sprint does not for the same cost.... and i got my photon for 100the buck less than sprint cbarged me...that is why i returned the phone to sprint store tbey refused to match price...