• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy Confirms Aug 12th Release Date

went to a VZW store and the rep also stated it was releasing Thursday. He said that only 2 people have asked about the phone in the last two weeks so probably won't have any trouble getting one because the of the lack of hype compared to DINC & DX

I have been wondering about this... I have NEVER bought any device on 'launch day' before, or had the 'pleasure' of standing in line - in fact, I always kind of snickered at people who thought an upgrade in a processor or spec-XYZ was important enough to lose sleep over and pay full MSRP - UNTIL NOW that is ;)

Tomorrow the official announcement should be made... and I'm curious if I'll 'really' have to go to my local corp. Verizon location an hour early - ha, I'll get there all anxious to get 'in line' and there will be a tumbleweed blowing across the parking lot - oh well, doesn't change the fact its an awesome phone that will be a huge upgrade for me!

Does anyone have a link to the Verizon Droid Training on the 12th? I want to see if I can make it for the class(es)!

Upvote 0
I have been wondering about this... I have NEVER bought any device on 'launch day' before, or had the 'pleasure' of standing in line - in fact, I always kind of snickered at people who thought an upgrade in a processor or spec-XYZ was important enough to lose sleep over and pay full MSRP - UNTIL NOW that is ;)

Tomorrow the official announcement should be made... and I'm curious if I'll 'really' have to go to my local corp. Verizon location an hour early - ha, I'll get there all anxious to get 'in line' and there will be a tumbleweed blowing across the parking lot - oh well, doesn't change the fact its an awesome phone that will be a huge upgrade for me!

Does anyone have a link to the Verizon Droid Training on the 12th? I want to see if I can make it for the class(es)!

https://email.vzwshop.com/servlet/formlink/f?NFOQYDDA

:)

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
It's announcement day! It's like Christmas. I can't sleep.

Still up here too.
Looks like twitter is getting set to refresh every two seconds LoL!!!!
(The role of the alarm clock tonite will be played by my Twitter Client :p )

With all the leaks, droid 2 accessories and droid 2 dummy phones already in VZW, Best Buy stores, and the Sunday paper Ad, there really is a great chance the latest best buy intranet leak is going to live up to Verizon's Official announcement that's suppose to take place later today.
Verizon knows exactly what they're doing

Upvote 0
Come onnnnnn announcement! I hope someone posts it here in this thread when it pops up, because I only have my phone until around 5pm tonight. But as I just mentioned in another thread, a Verizon Associate Emailed me back this morning and said she could not reveal upgrade pricing to the Droid 2 until August 12th - BOOYAH!!!!!

Upvote 0
If you order, you should get free overnight shipping, so you should get it the 12th either way. I'm going to the store because I don't trust FedEx to be able to deliver to my apartment.

Ha, good point... I don't mind waking up at 7 or 8am to get to the store an hour before they open their doors at 9am - not a big deal, plus I know I can have the day with the phone, which is most important to me rather than waiting for the Fed Ex truck to come down the road at some random point in time.

Upvote 0
Ha, good point... I don't mind waking up at 7 or 8am to get to the store an hour before they open their doors at 9am - not a big deal, plus I know I can have the day with the phone, which is most important to me rather than waiting for the Fed Ex truck to come down the road at some random point in time.

Waking up?
Who said anything about sleep?
You're sleeping??? :p
I ended up only sleeping for about 20 minutes on the morning of the X release.
I almost missed launch! LoL

Upvote 0
Here is what I am going to do:

I am going to wake up at 8am and drive over to the nearest corporate Verizon store which is unfortunately 25 minutes away. I am going to go in play around with one of their live models. The four main things are keyboard quality (meaning how well I can type on it and how fast), web browsering speed, overall speed and smoothness of the phone, and picture quality.

If I like the phone, I'll ask them if they can hold one for me because I just need to return my Droid X from where I bought it then come back and buy the Droid 2. So I'll run to Walmart and return the Droid X and cancel my current contract. Then I'll go back to Verizon and buy the Droid 2.

Upvote 0
It is a $100 Mail In Rebate in stores compared to a $100 instant discount online. This may not be a factor for everyone but might be for some.

Things can happen going to or from a store too, so planning to get a phone at a store may reduce such possibilities but doesn't really eliminate the potential for something to go wrong. Don't be so excited to play with your new phone that both it and you don't make it home.

Upvote 0
If I like the phone, I'll ask them if they can hold one for me because I just need to return my Droid X from where I bought it then come back and buy the Droid 2. So I'll run to Walmart and return the Droid X and cancel my current contract. Then I'll go back to Verizon and buy the Droid 2.
Talk to them when you're at the Verizon store, I don't see why you couldn't switch phones without having to terminate your contract. If you did cancel I could see that and having any outstanding charges related to that contract potentially affecting a new contract.

Upvote 0
Talk to them when you're at the Verizon store, I don't see why you couldn't switch phones without having to terminate your contract. If you did cancel I could see that and having any outstanding charges related to that contract potentially affecting a new contract.
I went to Verizon and the lady told me that it would be best if I just went to Walmart and returned everything then I could come to the Verizon store, cancel everything and start all over.

Upvote 0

I am going to wake up at 8am and drive over to the nearest corporate Verizon store which is unfortunately 25 minutes away. I am going to go in play around with one of their live models. The four main things are keyboard quality (meaning how well I can type on it and how fast), web browsering speed, overall speed and smoothness of the phone, and picture quality.

Absolutely, find out if the D2 will work for you.
I can't stress enough, to play with the phone first.
All the best.

Upvote 0
It is a $100 Mail In Rebate in stores compared to a $100 instant discount online. This may not be a factor for everyone but might be for some.

Things can happen going to or from a store too, so planning to get a phone at a store may reduce such possibilities but doesn't really eliminate the potential for something to go wrong. Don't be so excited to play with your new phone that both it and you don't make it home.

Ugggh, I ended up reading that on a Blog right after I asked the question... still, I'm really not too turned off by the debit card mail-in rebate; I did it once before and after you spend the money and a couple weeks pass you get the card and it's like WHOA I HAVE $100 - haha! :) It comes fairly fast in the mail anyway.

Upvote 0

Basically the same thing I'm doing... except I called customer service and they told me the store wouldn't be opening early, so I'll have to wait until 9am. I am most excited about my very first experience with Android, and passing my Winmo Touch Pro 2 on to cell phone heaven.

Also, the Droid Learning Classes sound cool, and I'll definitely attend them.

Upvote 0
Basically the same thing I'm doing... except I called customer service and they told me the store wouldn't be opening early, so I'll have to wait until 9am. I am most excited about my very first experience with Android, and passing my Winmo Touch Pro 2 on to cell phone heaven.

Also, the Droid Learning Classes sound cool, and I'll definitely attend them.

Oh, I am going to have to wait until 9am when they open as well. I just hope they have the live models up and running at opening.

Upvote 0
I hate Verizon employees. A lot of them are pretty clueless to what is going on with their company. I called a Verizon store today and asked "Do you guys know when you will be getting your Droid 2 in and a live model of it on display on the floor? Isn't that supposed to be on Thursday?"

The guy replied..."I'm not sure. I think it is supposed to be within the next couple of weeks but it is definitely not Thursday." I hung up and started laughing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones