• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy Confirms Aug 12th Release Date

Either Verizon or Motorola are playing Droid X owners for Damn fools.Here we are expected to believe that they can get a whole different phone built,produced and ready for sale running Froyo in less than a week, but Froyo is still weeks away from being pushed to the Droid X.Sounds like they just put the X on the back burner and spent all of their time getting the Droid 2 ready while we pay the price.

I feel sorry for Droid 2 owners.As soon as they launch a new phone look out.The act like the previous one never existed.All of their time is spent on the next big thing.Previous phone owners be damned.Look what they are doing to the incredible.As soon as Droid X launched you hardly hear about the Incredible.Same thing will happen with the Droid X after Droid 2 launches.Sell as many as you can and move on to the next big thing.

Upvote 0
I feel sorry for Droid 2 owners.As soon as they launch a new phone look out.The act like the previous one never existed.All of their time is spent on the next big thing.Previous phone owners be damned.Look what they are doing to the incredible.As soon as Droid X launched you hardly hear about the Incredible.Same thing will happen with the Droid X after Droid 2 launches.Sell as many as you can and move on to the next big thing.
I think things are a bit different for the Droid X. For one thing, a lot of the Incredible issues and pushing people toward the Droid X had to do with the limited availability of the Incredible's AMOLED screens. Verizon may not have necessarily wanted to reduce focus on the Incredible as much as they had to do so with the limited supply available. In addition, the Droid 2 is basically replacing the Droid in the device lineup rather than being something completely new added to the lineup.

Although the Droid 2 is hardly being built and produced in a week, I do wonder why Motorola would indicate on their Developers' forum that Froyo for the Droid X won't be ready until sometime in September if they then release the Droid 2 with Froyo next week. The two models are similar enough, and some of the apparent problems being addressed of such a nature, that I just don't understand how they could have a final version of Android 2.2 for the Droid 2 ready to go now and need that much longer to have one for the Droid X. That makes me believe that either they are actually intentionally delaying Froyo for the Droid X in order to possibly help Droid 2 sales or the Droid 2 will be released with what is almost a Beta version of Android 2.2 (and initially without Flash despite all the marketing promoting it).

Upvote 0
If I had to guess, I'd say there's still some bugs in their installation of Froyo. Most major phones have updates shortly after launch to fix some bugs. I don't expect the Droid 2 to be any different. But no need to push out a buggy release of Froyo to the Droid X if it already has a stable version of 2.1.

Upvote 0
If I had to guess, I'd say there's still some bugs in their installation of Froyo. Most major phones have updates shortly after launch to fix some bugs. I don't expect the Droid 2 to be any different. But no need to push out a buggy release of Froyo to the Droid X if it already has a stable version of 2.1.

Ok.If that is the case just put it their site to download for the people that want to install it.Offer it as a beta to us that are willing to deal with a few bugs.Software companies have been doing this for years.I know people will say because then people will want to return their phones for new ones.Just add a disclaimer to the download.Download and install at your own risk.I installed both betas of Windows 7 and never had any major problems.This also allowed Microsoft to find problems that their programmers would of had a difficult time finding.

Upvote 0
Ok.If that is the case just put it their site to download for the people that want to install it.Offer it as a beta to us that are willing to deal with a few bugs.Software companies have been doing this for years.
I believe that Motorola typically provides some number of OTA updates of Beta versions to known 'power users' and developers. In fact I believe this is what has happened with Froyo, a Beta version went out to a number of such existing users and their responses indicated that there were some things that needed to be addressed. There is a pre-release version of Flash 10.1 available from Adobe.

Many phones get updates shortly after release to address problems found or improved functionality stemming from comments from the larger user base. However, those are usually phone or UI updates and not OS updates. But what I think is the issue relating to the Droid 2 is the pre-release marketing about the D2 being Verizon's first phone to come with Android 2.2 and Flash player capability. If Flash is not on the phone or available in the Market and/or if it is a version of Froyo that is not the final version, is that fulfilling the marketing? That may be something for the attorneys to decide.

Upvote 0
If you believe the BestBuy document noted above it states that the Droid 2 is "The first Verizon smartphone to launch with Android 2.2 (Froyo) with Adobe Flash 10.1". Some of the other 'leaked' VZW internal documents also referenced focusing on these aspects. So it seems that Verizon is wanting their stores and retailers to push these factors as part of their sales efforts.

Upvote 0
i'm really hoping this phone comes out on the 12th. I'm switching mine and another line to VZW and want this phone. Bill cycle w/ att ends on the 16th and i don't want to have to either 1) pay for another month w/ att or 2) buy a phone and than return when D2 releases, thus paying a restocking fee

Have a discussion with verizon. You might be able to get them to pay any restocking/early termination fee.

Upvote 0
So I guess there are no pre-orders for the Droid 2? My wife is pretty sure she wants one. Do I have to go to BB or try my luck at a VZW store?

Was hoping to just order one online for her.

The rumor was that they'd be available to order by phone/online Wednesday and in stores on Thursday. So stay tuned for an announcement tomorrow and get your trigger finger ready for Wednesday.

Upvote 0
So I guess there are no pre-orders for the Droid 2? My wife is pretty sure she wants one. Do I have to go to BB or try my luck at a VZW store?

Was hoping to just order one online for her.
I have erroneously used the terms interchangeably but pre-orders and pre-sales are different things. With a pre-order you are essentially reserving a phone prior to commercial sales starting in the stores, in effect making an agreement to a sale as soon as that sale is possible, while with a pre-sale you are literally purchasing the phone prior to it going on sale in the stores. The 'leaked' Verizon internal document seemed to indicate no pre-orders but online pre-sales on 8/11. We'll hopefully know more tomorrow.

Reactions: Trooper
Upvote 0
I just got word from VZW when I called for a area outage and asked for a release date for the Droid 2. The guy looked it up but said he hasn't heard yet for sure. He came back a couple seconds saying there is a new bulletin claiming it would be for sale on their site on 8/11 and in store on 8/12. I would like to see print confirming this but I don't know why he would make that up.

Upvote 0
I just got word from VZW when I called for a area outage and asked for a release date for the Droid 2. The guy looked it up but said he hasn't heard yet for sure. He came back a couple seconds saying there is a new bulletin claiming it would be for sale on their site on 8/11 and in store on 8/12. I would like to see print confirming this but I don't know why he would make that up.

went to a VZW store and the rep also stated it was releasing Thursday. He said that only 2 people have asked about the phone in the last two weeks so probably won't have any trouble getting one because the of the lack of hype compared to DINC & DX

Upvote 0
went to a VZW store and the rep also stated it was releasing Thursday. He said that only 2 people have asked about the phone in the last two weeks so probably won't have any trouble getting one because the of the lack of hype compared to DINC & DX

I really don't know why the Droid 2 isn't getting as much hype as these other Droid phones. It's a successor to a beloved phone! Haha

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones