• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy Details

Purchase experience, long, useful $ savings tips.

Went to BB but not the one I pre-ordered from. They had one guy picking one up and one appointment at the time I arrived. Not a Fruit style launch at all (thankfully).

The tried to insist the phone was $300 ($50 preorder + additional $250 due). Once we got past that I let them know the wirefly and Amazon prices. I know they would not price match for online but I asked for some concession, stating I wanted the phone today but it was not worth the large price difference. She texted the manager and he refused. No budge on the $250 price. The rep was actually a VZW employee not BB. She called the closest VZW and asked the same questions - any way less than $250. The manager of that store said no way. A deal on accessories but no mail in rebated or a penny off the phone. I walked.

Next I went to a different VZW in person. Pleaded the same case. Sales rep said highly unlikely to get a better price on launch day. He quickly checked with the store manager and boom, it was done, $200, $50 off. VZW is "threatened" in some sense by wirefly and Amazon. Bargain away the best you can. You to can get this for $200 in person on launch day.

Last not of caution. Not sure if it is the same everywhere but here in CA you get charged the sales tax on a $600 ($599 IIRC) phone. The $250 is a discount price based on the contract and the extra $50 discount also does not lower the taxed amount. Thus total out the door price was right about $250.

Now its time for fun.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

Went to BB but not the one I pre-ordered from. They had one guy picking one up and one appointment at the time I arrived. Not a Fruit style launch at all (thankfully).

The tried to insist the phone was $300 ($50 preorder + additional $250 due). Once we got past that I let them know the wirefly and Amazon prices. I know they would not price match for online but I asked for some concession, stating I wanted the phone today but it was not worth the large price difference. She texted the manager and he refused. No budge on the $250 price. The rep was actually a VZW employee not BB. She called the closest VZW and asked the same questions - any way less than $250. The manager of that store said no way. A deal on accessories but no mail in rebated or a penny off the phone. I walked.

Next I went to a different VZW in person. Pleaded the same case. Sales rep said highly unlikely to get a better price on launch day. He quickly checked with the store manager and boom, it was done, $200, $50 off. VZW is "threatened" in some sense by wirefly and Amazon. Bargain away the best you can. You to can get this for $200 in person on launch day.

Last not of caution. Not sure if it is the same everywhere but here in CA you get charged the sales tax on a $600 ($599 IIRC) phone. The $250 is a discount price based on the contract and the extra $50 discount also does not lower the taxed amount. Thus total out the door price was right about $250.

Now its time for fun.

Mine was 200.00 because I get 50.00 off because of my work, now that was a nice surprise. And yea I think someone was in here a couple days ago talking about the taxes in Cali and how it is on the full price and not the contract price. They don't that in AZ thank God.

Upvote 0

Now its time for fun.

My Verizon rep was able to take off 50.00 to make it 199 but the store said no way the reginional Manager told the store managers not one dime off TB's So I had my rep order it for me and will be here tomorrow. I had a BB pre-order orginally but I found out BB cant do anything with business accounts.

Upvote 0
so i just heard something new from my local verizon rep, and maybe this is old news, but it was a shock to me. first off, i prefaced with the fact that i was off-contract and was looking for the most advanced phone, which led her to ask, "are you talking about the thunderbolt?" she immediately said that they officially were allowed to go public with the the feb 24 launch date (this is near atlanta, fyi.) i asked why this wasn't published and she only speculated that it had to do with iphone sales.

after asking several questions about signal strength and 4g-related questions, she told me that on the 24th, the thunderbolt would be available, but would only run on the 3g cdma network until summer, when they would officially launch the mobile 4g lte network. this means that no matter where you are, the thunderbolt will only be 3g till some time this summer. she called it a "4g ready" phone, to be later upgraded to 4g.

did i miss this? i was under the impression that if you were in a 4g city, it worked at launch. i guess i was being overly optimistic...

How is this pertinent to "Best Buy Details"?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones