• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy Protection Plan

stroltz35

Jul 30, 2011
Ive been debating on buying the triumph since its release and I would come here almost everyday to read about it and see what others are saying. I decided if I was going to buy one I would have to buy a protection plan as well because of how prone to problems these phone were having. I then read a post about a guy working at bestbuy and he said something about the black tie protection having locked and found with it. That made up my mind. I went to Bestbuy and got the triumph and when I asked about locked and found they told me it did not apply to prepaid phones. Is this truly the case or did I just get someone who didnt have a clue? I tried researching it when I got home but couldnt find anything. I would appreciate it i some of you that got the protection plan from there ran into this problem as well could let me know. Thank you

@bludd Meaning Locked and found would be packaged in when I bought the Black Tie Protection Plan. @hellopwntchu I bought the $39.99 GSBTR-R at best buy but our best buy and best buy mobile are in 2 different places in town. The BBM didnt have the triumph so I went to the regular best buy to buy the phone. When I went in to BBM with my new phone they said the Locked and Found Program was only for Contract phones

Upvote 0
I pre ordered my MT from BB online. When the phone came in it took the invoice to the local BB store and purchased the protection plan there with no questions asked. I figured a free replacement for these phone for the first year would be worth the money with these new phones with a lot of bugs in them. Instead of trying to fix it, just turn it in for a new one and start over.

Upvote 0
@JohnACman: My question is specifically about the locked and found service. This is were bestbuy sets up a program on your phone that would lock it and give you the gps location if the phone ever gets lost or stolen. It also allows Bestbuy to try and contact the person who may have found it to get it back to the owner.

Upvote 0
@JohnACman: My question is specifically about the locked and found service. This is were bestbuy sets up a program on your phone that would lock it and give you the gps location if the phone ever gets lost or stolen. It also allows Bestbuy to try and contact the person who may have found it to get it back to the owner.

Ah, I never heard of that before. That's what I was wondering. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have a update. I placed a email to the geek squad and I just heard back from them. The Black Tie protection plan includes the Locked and found services even on prepaids. They said I could set it up myself. I followed the instructions that was provided but when I went looking for the app in the marketplace it was not there. I found the app online however and installed it manually and the service seems to work just fine. Thanks for the replys and help guys

Upvote 0
I have a update. I placed a email to the geek squad and I just heard back from them. The Black Tie protection plan includes the Locked and found services even on prepaids. They said I could set it up myself. I followed the instructions that was provided but when I went looking for the app in the marketplace it was not there. I found the app online however and installed it manually and the service seems to work just fine. Thanks for the replys and help guys

What is the app that you used and where did you find it? Sounds like a real good thing to have.

Upvote 0
I mentioned this in another forum, just repeating it here - if you have AMEX, check to see if you can extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year with a purchase on the card. Other cards may have that feature as well. Of course, you have to retain your proof of purchase.

Upvote 0
@JohnACman I use the 4shared app to find the apps I can not find in the market place. And it installs from the app as well. when you search for something like " locked and found apk" and it brings it up touch and hold it and then add to profile. yes you have to make a profile on 4shared.com. and then click the back button and find it listed in your profile and touch it and it will download, then asks to install.

Upvote 0
What do you think is better insurance through vm or this black tie protection plan? What are the pros and cons to each?

I posted this in the other thread:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-triumph/387025-best-buy-black-tie-protection-plan.html

I got curious to see which was the better deal so after a little research, here's a very quick comparison:

Cost:
BBY: approx $40/2 yr (of course the term could end up being shorter if you end up replacing the phone under the plan and it is fulfilled)
VM: $5/mo = $120 / 2yr

How to claim:
BBY: Go to a store and get a replacement on the spot. No deductible. May have to purchase a new plan for $40 if the old plan is fulfilled.
VM: Uses Asurion for their phone insurance. According to the documentation on the Asurion website at
Welcome Virgin Mobile USA Customers

Fill out a claim form online and submit it. If it is approved, they will send you a replacement phone. THERE IS A DEDUCTIBLE of $100. They also say that the replacement phone may be shipped out overnight depening on when you submit the claim and when it gets approved for replacement.

Phone is damaged/malfunctioning:
coverage seems about the same between the two.

Phone is lost or stolen:
BBY has a "Locked and found" app/service that you get with your GSBTP-R plan according to what Stroltz35 wrote in the previous thread here:

Best Buy Protection Plan

VM apparently replaces the phone when it's lost/stolen with the $100 deductible.

So up to you which you think is better for you.

Upvote 0
I mentioned this in another forum, just repeating it here - if you have AMEX, check to see if you can extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year with a purchase on the card. Other cards may have that feature as well. Of course, you have to retain your proof of purchase.

Manufacture warrantys suck!! Why would you want to ever extend one? :stupid The protection plan at best buy is legit and covers the phone against everything. Thumbs up to best buy for integrating this awesome application into their protection plan!!

Upvote 0
Manufacture warrantys suck!! Why would you want to ever extend one? :stupid The protection plan at best buy is legit and covers the phone against everything. Thumbs up to best buy for integrating this awesome application into their protection plan!!

Well maybe some do suck, but the fact that with VM you don't have to pay a monthly fee and can get the phone replaced for virtually anything then it kinda matches up with the BB protection plan. And everything through VM is absolutely free (well besides the price of the phone lol). I'm not going to say it's the same for every company or everyone has the same experiences, but for people who don't want to pay that extra monthly fee when there is no guarantee they are ever going to need it it would be a goo alternate...

Upvote 0

Because a separate store like best buy reserves the right to not have to give you a replacement lol, it doesn't matter if u get a $200 bestbuy protection/replacement or a $1 one, if you bring ur phone in and the problem is hardware they will call the manufacturer, if the manufacturer isn't goin to give bestbuy, the money or a replacement then bestbuy wont replace yours,(they aren't goin to give you free phones) lol companies like best buy reserve this right for all electronics over a certain price

I've personally seen bestbuy do this with xboxs, playstations, TVs, mp3 players, and phones

The manufacturer however if its a known hardware failure, Usually wont give you a hard time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones