1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Best Buy Round-Up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rocky s., Feb 9, 2011.

1. rocky s.

rocky s. Well-Known Member

Hey gang, just an idea...

Upon calling various Best Buys in my area this morning, I learned that they are all sticking with the Feb. 14 pick-up date for those who pre-ordered the Thunderbolt. When told of the web rumors of announced delays, one manager suggested that Verizon is mum about release dates in order to not interfere with iphone sales (as some here have speculated). Not that this geek squad staffer's quip has any official weight, but I guess if Best Buy had a pre-arranged launch date deal with Verizon of the 14th, they may be immune from moving it if delays are for this reason, especially since they don't have the would-be conflict of carrying the Verizon iphone anyway. Otherwise, there must be some basis for Best Buy to be picking a Feb. 14 date and sticking with it beyond just being chummy with eager customers.

In any case, would it be appropriate to suggest that forum users randomly survey their local Best Buy stores to see if there is a consensus either way? It might be interesting to see if the trend is toward the original date or a late arriving modification from this retailer that reportedly has the exclusive. And by all means take an extended lunch break today to respond to this and report the results. :)

Again, just an idea to check if there's still a chance of Verizon/Best Buy showing us some Valentine's Day love.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

I will be very surprised if VZW wastes a good-potential launch of for this device, under the huge dark shadow of the iPhone. Seems more sense to wait until end of the month and the BB orders may be a soft-start and not a hard Feb 14 date. JMO.

3. jeepjep

jeepjep Newbie

I preorded on Sunday #4 in line. Just called my bestbuy and the person in the mobile dept stated is was "Slated to be towards the end of February/beginning of March"!!

that is dissapointing :(

4. mgymnop

mgymnop Member

Call them again and see if another person gives you another answer.:rolleyes:

5. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

lol..Honestly, calling every Best Buy is not going to get us anywhere guys! Some of us here have been around for a ton of Launches, and believe me, Big Red is one of the worst with launching phones. The folks at Best Buy know nothing as far as solid dates, your going to get a 50/50 answer...Yes it's the 14...No it's delayed! So I'd have to say, sit back, grab some popcorn, and chill out. If I had to guess, I'd bet on a delay taking this phone until around the much talked about 24th to launch. That closes the 14 day return window from the 1 MILLION iphones sold at launch. Plus it makes more sense, why release the 1st 4G phone in the shadow of the first vzw iphone...honestly, it wouldnt be fare to HTC, the Thunderbolt deserves it's own big Launch, without a casting shadow.

6. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert

If Best Buy has the stock do you think they will hold onto it?
    If it's in the back somebody is bound to hand it to a customer 'by accident' :D

7. Prosdo

Prosdo Member

Hoping its the 14th. My only problem is I need to be off my Sprint plan by the 19th. I could get another phone and return it by the 14 day window. Let's hope it just comes out the 14th.

8. rocky s.

Yes...I totally agree that there would be nothing fool-proof or official that comes from a Best Buy calling blitz - however, all of those stores around here are still saying no one at Verizon has told them to change the Feb. 14 date. Of course, I guess you could argue that no one at Verizon told them to advertise a Feb. 14 date to begin with. But it does beg the question of why Best Buy would generate a pre-sale and in-stock date and then not retract any of that in the wake of what's spinning out on the web about delays. The last word I got from a Best Buy staffer was that they're all watching the rumors as well and discounting them until they get an official word that Feb. 14 is not going to happen. And they are still waiting for that.

In the meantime, I'm just casually considering all of this and not really getting over-involved or over-reacting. Except that I did threaten not to eat until the launch. :)

9. blackceasar

blackceasar Member

just spent 30mins on the phone with the bb here in williamsport pa and after 28mins of bullshit and goverment secret type shit they confirmed it to b for sale on the 14th starting at 8am.... but really i dont think a ton of people showed up to reserve it here! not sure if i should go reserve it or just wait till the 14th? this is crazy to me!

10. bkorver

bkorver Newbie

I asked the guy at my BB store how many people had signed up when I went in Monday, and he said I was number 3. Makes sense though, because LTE isn't due to drop here for at least another 6 months, maybe 9 (Thanks Steve!)...

11. Eleer

Eleer Member

I can't believe the problems that Verizon seems to be having with the release of the Thunderbolt. First you have the iPhone coming to Verizon, next you have Verizon's FIRST 4G phone and they don't even have a release date yet? I just don't understand it. I have never witnessed a phone release to be this chaotic. It seems like the tables are turned everyday as far as release details go about the device.

12. Gadgetblurb

Gadgetblurb Newbie

I have friends at a couple BB's, two are mobile and one is the main store. Here is what I got: One mobile said 14th, the other said no info. The main BB said the 17th. Damn shame that three stores in the same city, within 20 miles of one another are on such different pages.

13. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

just goes to show they are ALL talking out their @ss!

14. leehblanc

leehblanc Well-Known Member

Well, one of my concerns (frustrations?) with all of this is that Verizon is NOTORIOUS for running out of phones on the first day of sales and then not having them back in stock for weeks (Droid X) or even months (Incredible). For this reason I want it Day 1. I said the hell with it and pre-ordered tonight. If it's delayed, fine. If not I can take a half day Monday or even go after work knowing it will be there. Either way it beats finding out that Monday is the day and then seeing that they are sold out by the time I get off work.

FWIW, the girl at my BB said it's not expected till the end of February or beginning of March. Now my only problem is getting my mint condition Incredible with case, holster and charger on eBay and sold in short order.

15. Familyguy1

Familyguy1 Android Enthusiast

I highly doubt it will be the 14th. I would love to pre-order at BB, but I am not up for a 2 year contract...

16. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

my store and the other three in our area are still saying the 14th, fortunately I work there, and as long as our corporate doesn't say "don't sell until release date" I'll get it the day it comes into the store anyway...woo.

17. dilgreene

dilgreene Lurker

Just called the Best Buy in Cambridge, MA. The woman who answered in Mobile said February 17, without missing a beat. However, she didn't know if the price would be 200 or 250.

18. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

so anywhere between the 13th(Wirefly) and the 28th(Best Buy)

hmmm

19. rocky s.

Okay, just had my daily phone chat with the local Best Buy dude. Here's the transcript:

Me: You guys still firm on that Feb. 14 date?

Dude: Haven't heard anything different.

Me: Are you selling Thunderbolt accessories right now?

Dude: Yep, we have them right now.

Me: So, you're saying you will have the phone on the 14th?

Dude: Absolutely.

Me: Can I have one right now?

Dude: No sir.

Me: I'm Mark Zuckerberg.

Dude: Good-bye sir.

Me: Hello...hello? Can you hear me now?

I know, sometimes I even get on my own nerves. But you gotta have fun with this stuff, right?

20. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

Mark Suckerberg can be your alter ego.

21. rocky s.

I'll just take his alter bank account. :cool: On a more serious note...did I see you post that you work at a Best Buy and you're also still hearing a stick-to-it date of the 14th at your very own store?? Also, in your list of devices here you have the Thunderbolt listed as your phone. The power of positive thinking and self-fulfilling prophecy, right? :)

22. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

lol I do work at a best buy. I have the product sku and everything. I leaked the accessories to Phandroid yesterday.

I'll have the Thunderbolt the day it comes into the store, so a few days before everyone hopefully.

23. rocky s.

Cool. I'm not too far from DC. Will be at a convention at the grand Omni Shoreham in March. So, my insider friend, keep us posted if you physically see any of them Bolt babies come in!! ;)

Later.

24. 2003vstrom

2003vstrom Android Enthusiast

I called my BB where I pre-ordered my TB and they are still telling me the 14th:rolleyes:

25. jayishere

jayishere Android Expert

I have been bugging the crap out of my mobile department when I work. Only phones we got in last night (our last shipment of the week) were i*hone4's, but normally verizon drop ships new phones on saturday that release on mondays

Stonedcold likes this.

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews