• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy vs Radio Shack for an EVO Pre-Order...

sean76

Android Expert
May 5, 2010
NYC
Ok, so seriously I have never ever pre-ordered a phone before. I'm a tech junkie, and I usually just get to the stores early. However after the incredible fiasco, and how quickly they sold out, I'm deciding to go on a pre-order for the EVO. So, in everyone's experience, what's the better store to go with? I heard best buy has a crazy return policy u can purchase if something goes wrong in a year, and u can get a brand new one? If anyine can sound off on that it would be great. Also I asked the girl at best buy how many people have pre-ordered and she said about 20 or so, but I'd be guaranteed to get one on the 4th, will they even have 20 or so to go around? I'm thinking about goin to the shack and dropping $50 ,and who ever calls me first I'll head over too. Any advice would be great with past experiences.

Best Buy sucks. That's pretty much all there is to it.

I picked up a Touch Pro almost two years ago, Best Buy sold me on their insurance - my mistake. Don't do it.

Three weeks later, the TP died (WOAH WHAT A SURPRISE!) and I went to Best Buy to see what they could do. What happened is my keyboard just stopped working, a common issue with the Touch Pro.

They said there was nothing they could do because the phone still worked. And that their insurance only covered it if it was lost or I broke it. I told them I was going to go outside and smash it on the concrete and come back in - they told me they wouldn't cover that. I was paying for fake insurance. Couldn't fix a defective phone and couldn't replace a broken one.

That being said, Best Buy is ok if you know what you're doing. There was a rumor that BB's price for the EVO off contract was $600 instead of $450.

Radio Shack gives you a free $20 in accessories for it (maybe an FM transmitter would be a good idea?) if you pre-order there. I haven't heard anything about an off contract price there.

Radio Shack seems like the better bet this time around.

Upvote 0
Ok, so seriously I have never ever pre-ordered a phone before. I'm a tech junkie, and I usually just get to the stores early. However after the incredible fiasco, and how quickly they sold out, I'm deciding to go on a pre-order for the EVO. So, in everyone's experience, what's the better store to go with? I heard best buy has a crazy return policy u can purchase if something goes wrong in a year, and u can get a brand new one? If anyine can sound off on that it would be great. Also I asked the girl at best buy how many people have pre-ordered and she said about 20 or so, but I'd be guaranteed to get one on the 4th, will they even have 20 or so to go around? I'm thinking about goin to the shack and dropping $50 ,and who ever calls me first I'll head over too. Any advice would be great with past experiences.

People are saying Radio Shack because of the $20 accessory thing and the $10 online discount for completing survey.

I personally perfer Best Buy. Larger inventory and I've upgraded my phone there before.

Upvote 0
Are you buying one for retail or with a new contract or upgrade? Best Buy is charging an incredible $600 for the phone at retail. Radio Shack is rumored to be charging the standard $450.

Brand new activation! Just don't want a song and a dance on the 4th where there totally sold out and won't be getting any for a month like VZW had happen with the incredible. I wonder if it can be oversold and they wont have enough available.

Upvote 0
I will be buying the insurance with them for $9.99. If something broke, they assured me that they will replace it with a "new" device, not a refurbished one. But the insurance doesn't cover lost or stolen. I believe it's called the Geek Squad Black Tie Protection. it's $9.99/month for 2 years.

Why not just do Sprint's insurance for $7/mo.?

OR, I heard something about home owners insurance covering it, but I have to look into it.

Upvote 0
Well I did it at both bb and the shack to play it safe. however the guy from radio shack just called me to come back in to run a credit check? Is that right since I wanted to go with whoever called me first on that Friday? bb didn't ask me for anything except the $50 and my name and number...

Upvote 0
Well I did it at both bb and the shack to play it safe. however the guy from radio shack just called me to come back in to run a credit check? Is that right since I wanted to go with whoever called me first on that Friday? bb didn't ask me for anything except the $50 and my name and number...

You need a credit check any time you open a new line. Best Buy will do it at the time of pickup.

Upvote 0
I will be buying the insurance with them for $9.99. If something broke, they assured me that they will replace it with a "new" device, not a refurbished one. But the insurance doesn't cover lost or stolen. I believe it's called the Geek Squad Black Tie Protection. it's $9.99/month for 2 years.

thats 240 dollars you will pay to insure a phone that costs you 200..
hardly seems like a smart thing to do..

Reactions: Caloy
Upvote 0

It may sound stupid, but if I break my phone accidentally, I would've paid for the full price of 450 for a replacement.

But I guess you are correct, thinking about it, I would pay $10 dollars for the BB insurance for accidental damages and malfunctions, and I need to pay another $7 to $10 for Sprints insurance for lost or stolen coverage.

I guess I can always for the phone through credit card if something unfortunate did happen to it. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Not really. Let's say your $200 phone kabooms...now what? If you're 6 months into the contract, it would be $170 to terminate or $450+ to buy a new phone. If you terminate, you have to get a new line with a new company and probably shell out another $200 for a new phone.

I got it the first time with my Pre...glad I did.

Upvote 0
People are saying Radio Shack because of the $20 accessory thing and the $10 online discount for completing survey.

I personally perfer Best Buy. Larger inventory and I've upgraded my phone there before.

i hit the shack up and it was a flawless experience. $50 depo, $20 accessory credit and $10 survey coupon.

the rep even said, "seems like you knows up, so I won't bother you on pick up day"

THAT is worth its weight in gold, just give me my phone and lets get it home!

I pre ordered at Radioshack on the 14th but didn't get the $10 survey coupon. Is it a separate coupon or on the back of the receipt or something?

Upvote 0
With the $7 insurance I have with sprint, I was able to receive a new Moment for free after my first one bricked. Would ordering a new Sprint phone from best buy or Radio Shack guarantee that I can get my phone repaired or replaced at the sprint store just like I did with the Moment? Or can I still get the same protection I have now if I buy it from radio shack or best buy?

Upvote 0
With the $7 insurance I have with sprint, I was able to receive a new Moment for free after my first one bricked. Would ordering a new Sprint phone from best buy or Radio Shack guarantee that I can get my phone repaired or replaced at the sprint store just like I did with the Moment? Or can I still get the same protection I have now if I buy it from radio shack or best buy?

Whether you buy at Best Buy or Radio Shack, you'll still be covered at Sprint. I upgraded my mogul to the Touch Pro a couple years back and Sprint still covered my phone 100% (got 4 different replacements since my first purchase of the Touch Pro). I never really had to use the "total equipment protection" (7 dollar insurance), but I had it and wouldn't have had any problems if my phone had bricked and needed to use it.

So, after that long explanation, yes you can still be covered under the same protection even if you buy from BB or RS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones