• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy vs Verizon

verdegallardo

Jun 28, 2010
The corp verizon store where I left my name and number with a couple weeks ago and then stopped back by to see the phone a couple days ago just called me to tell me she has the phones in and one of them is mine. She said she'll hold it for me until noon on the 15th, they open at 8am (I'd be there at 7:30:D). Sweet!!

I also confirmed with her that they do 1 year contracts and she said yes, and that its like 370 with 100 MIR (IIRC).

Anyway, my question is, I also have a best buy pre-order and I am also going to be returning my EVO to best buy. So let's say that best buy calls me before the 15th and says I have one as well - where should I buy the phone?

The MIR doesn't bother me, and let's say all things are equal, ie Best Buy's 1 year price is the same. Is one place better than the other? Is buying from a corp store better in case anything goes wrong with the phone, or does it really matter? On the other hand, I kind of feel some sort of 'loyalty' to Best Buy since I'm returning my EVO to them.

Or should I just choose whoever gets the phone in my hands the earliest?? :p

All this will be a moot point if BB doesn't offer 1 year contracts or if they don't have one for me on the 15th!!

Thanks

Don't quote me, just confirm. I am like 99% positive BB will NOT do 1 year pricing, they only do 2 year contracts. :eek:

BB will do any upgrade you have, annual upgrade. 2 year upgrade and even alternate upgrade from a family share plan. I've done annual upgrades twice through best buy. One for my Eris and one for my Incredible. I also like BB because i can take advantage of their finance promotions and and i can earn rewardzone points.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
here is a more important question none of you have thought of:

if the phone fails or you need a replacement (not your fault) would you rather wait at the vzw store for the drones to ATTEMPT to give you an answer? Or does best buy just give you a new phone and save you the trouble(if in stock)?

I was thinking about this literally two minutes ago after reading a persons horrible experience with a phone that has had to be replaced 4 times by a vzw store.

Upvote 0
I've had bad experiences with reps in the vzw store here. They seem to not wan't to help, or just give the run around most of the time when there is a question, or problem. It's probably just my local store, but it's enough for me to despise them. :p
(I've usually gotten very helpful csr's over the phone though, and the vzw store thats about an hr away is nice too. Night and day compared to my local one)

My local (45min drive) BB on the other hand has been great for me. Replaced two phone with no problem at all, and most of them actually know what their doing.

So I'm going to be sticking with my BB pre-order. Esp given that there are only 3 total DX pre-orders there.. Won't have a problem getting one. lol

Upvote 0
BB will do any upgrade you have, annual upgrade. 2 year upgrade and even alternate upgrade from a family share plan. I've done annual upgrades twice through best buy. One for my Eris and one for my Incredible. I also like BB because i can take advantage of their finance promotions and and i can earn rewardzone points.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Annual upgrade depends on the store, my specific Bestbuy could not (all the workers tried, manager tried, verizon/bestbuy rep for the whole region tried, etc.). Alternate they said was simple.

Upvote 0
I prefer the service from Verizon stores. I will not buy a phone from Best Buy again.

1. Best Buy can be very slow setting the phone and contract up.
2. Messed our contract and service options up.
3. If you have insurance, they take well over a month to fix and give you a basic phone as a loaner.
4. In regards to item "2", they messed up two times and two different stores and slow at both.

I like Best Buy, but not anymore for phones. I will mail in the rebate.

Upvote 0
I think BB charges you $10 a month for their "Black Tie" coverage. I believe it's their replacement/insurance plan that I'm not too clear on. Do they give you a new phone if one is in stock? If you're already paying insurance at VZW is it really worth it to have the Black Tie? Someone help!

Best Buy will only give you a basic phone for calls and text. No smartphone. They used to give better loaners, but the cost and management of it became a company-wide problem. They prefer eating the cost of cheap phones.

Upvote 0
Why have to potentially deal with two companies in a worse case scenerio? Buying from a third party vendor like this just opens the possibility up that when something goes wrong, Verizon will say it is a BB problem and BB will say it is a Verizon problem. Then what are you going to do?

Personally I would search out a Verizon Corporate store and buy only from them. I realize that may not be an option for everyone, but that would certainly be my first choice. Then there is no other company involved. If something goes wrong, you'll only have to deal with Verizon.

Upvote 0
Why have to potentially deal with two companies in a worse case scenerio? Buying from a third party vendor like this just opens the possibility up that when something goes wrong, Verizon will say it is a BB problem and BB will say it is a Verizon problem. Then what are you going to do?

Personally I would search out a Verizon Corporate store and buy only from them. I realize that may not be an option for everyone, but that would certainly be my first choice. Then there is no other company involved. If something goes wrong, you'll only have to deal with Verizon.

I see your point, but really at Best Buy, after you get your phone, you never have to return to Best Buy (if you don't want to) unless you are returning or exchanging the phone within 30 days (also no restocking fee).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones