1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Best Buy weekly ad

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mr_Coffee, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Mr_Coffee

Mr_Coffee Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    $50th Gift Card w/in store activation.

Don't know if it applies to swap? Optimus V to a Triumph

Advertisement

2. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    PC Tech Owner Affordable computer repair.
    New Jersey
    A lot of people are saying it only applies to new activation,not phone swaps

3. bryaslak

bryaslak Lurker
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    It doesn't matter if they activate it or not. If the offer is what it says, the $50 card packages out to $0. It's not up to employees discretion. If you bring a Triumph and a $50 card to the register it will automatically package down to zero. You don't even need to say anything.

4. smackguy1950

smackguy1950 Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Bryaslak you are the man. Thanks for the awesome report. I'll give it a try this afternoon. 299 - 30 (10percent off coupon) - 50 (gift card) + tax = 245 total

5. lou61166

lou61166 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    PC Tech Owner Affordable computer repair.
    New Jersey
    offer states in store activation clearly in the ad,also cannot be combined with any other discount so the 10% code may not work.

6. RayBert

RayBert Newbie
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Hmm, put $30 back in my wallet with the 10% coupon or get a $50 gift card.

If Best Buy sells Virgin Mobile top-up cards, a $50 GC will cover 2 months of service. Not a bad deal and it keeps me from buying other crap I don't need!

7. smackguy1950

smackguy1950 Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    Just to confirm, the 50 dollar gift card givaway will *NOT* work for a swap. Only new signups at the new prices qualify. The 10 percent off works for both so at least there's that.

8. harvickchick

harvickchick Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Female
    Kernersville, NC
    If you swapped I would go in and try anyways. I just got my card no problem. Nowhere in the ad does it say new accounts only. Also on your receipt I don't think there's anything on there that they could even tell if it was a phone swap or if you bought without already having a virgin account.

9. RayBert

RayBert Newbie
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    You are absolutely right, there is nothing in the ad. I brought the coupon and my original receipt into the store and the rep at the phone desk said: "You are not eligible if you activated by switching carriers. You have to activate with a new phone number because that's the only way it goes into our system. I can't do anything if it doesn't show up in our system." So... the only individuals who qualify are that special 1% that wanted a new cellphone number? I'm calling BS on that.

So despite spending an hour last Monday getting my phone activated in store, and the fact that this is not specified (even by footnote), they refused to give me the discount. This is how you lose customers for life.

10. fallaen

fallaen Newbie
    None

Jul 21, 2011
    It really depends on your best buy and who you get. I got this uptight _____ who basically said no. And I would just go for the 10% cause if you do the math, 10% off would make the phone $270 +tax or the gift card which is $320 with tax and a $50 gc you have to spend at best buy. Idk, pick your poison.

There is a whole thread on slickdeals on getting the $50 and the 10% and some people have been sucessful!

11. harvickchick

harvickchick Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    Female
    Kernersville, NC
    That's so stupid! The lady I had returned the phone, put the money on a store credit, resold me the phone and handed me the card. I'd ask to see a manager.

12. RayBert

RayBert Newbie
    None

Jul 23, 2011
    Spoke to another rep today with the same answer. Someone must have done something stupid and ruined the deal for everyone else in the area.

I also heard word that there was a 30% discount on accessories when you purchase the Triumph. He said he hadn't heard of that. I imagine there's a giant sign four feet above his head with the same message.

13. tcklord

tcklord Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    I just had them activate it without putting any money on. He didn't actually take it out of the package or anything so when I got to my computer I just went to the virginmobile.com site and logged in and selected swap phone. It worked fine. They wouldn't let me use the 10% off as well though. I'm not sure if I am going to keep it yet, have to see if I can get gps working better.

14. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    I found the local Best Buy, dropped in about 5 mins before they closed the front doors (it was a Best Buy Mobile Store). I told them repeatedly about the $50 gift card in Sunday's advertisement, but they simply refuse to look into it. Instead, one rep, obviously trying to get the heck out of there for the night, frustrated, told the other one that it must be the 30% off deal for in-store activation. The newbie rep rang it up on the cash register with the 30% off, at which point the primary rep scuffed that the activation and discount must be done PRIOR to ringing up the sale. They handed me the phone in the unopened box, and I walked out the door with a $223 Triumph, tax included.

End of story.

15. KryptoNyte

None

Jun 21, 2011
    I'd also like to note that this phone "feels" like it's worth about $150 to $200, coming from the Optimus V.

16. fallaen

fallaen Newbie
    None

Jul 21, 2011
    KryptoNyte I am so jealous of you.

I went the exchange my phone today cause of light leakage I had at the bottom and potential weird camera noise. Went to the same best buy I went to last time, thank god different people were working. BUT they ran out of them so I went to another Best Buy farther off. I should have done the $50 gc and 10% of this one because they were super nice about it, but they gave me an exchange and 30% of a case after a lot of work and I felt really bad about making them do all this work. They were kind of clueless about the 30% off stuff in the ads and the $50 gc so I had to lead and show them everything, not trying to sound pretentious or anything. Oh well. Good luck with everyone else trying to get the two discount.

17. KryptoNyte

None

Jun 21, 2011
    With all due respect, the Triumph is darn close to going back to the store. The Optimus V, with it's crappy processor and tiny screen ... well, let's face it, the Triumph is bordering on making me wish I was using the Optimus V again. The simple idea that they couldn't get the core functions of a smartphone working properly is downright strange.

Look, I'm not trying to beat up on the Triumph, I really want this thing to work like it should ... but it's core failings are becoming very hard to ignore.