• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Calendar App?

What's your favorite calendar app? (Note: multiple choice ok)

• Stock, whatever comes with the phone

Votes: 70 17.4%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Calwidget

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Agenda Widget

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Smooth Calendar

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • QuickCalendarWidget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Pure Grid Calendar

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • S2 Calendar

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Calendar Pad

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iRT Calendar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket Informant

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Business Calendar

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Gemini Calendar

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 27 6.7%
  • PimlicalA

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Jorte

Votes: 90 22.3%
  • Touch Calendar

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • Calengoo

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Calendar Snooze

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
good thread with a lot of useful information. Does anyone know if any of these calendars supports creation of new events into multiple sub calendars on the Droid itself? Right now, I use Yahoo for my calendar which supports multiple sub calendars. I am also using the CalDav beta for syncing to the standard calendar. I've set up sync events for all of my Yahoo sub calendars and have two way edits working fine. The problem is that when I create a new event on the Droid, it seems to goes into a single calendar instance on the Droid. I want to be able to create an event to MyCalendar:SubCal1 or MyCalendar:SubCal2. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong or someone else has a better calendar suggestion. Any suggestions/recommendations would be welcome.

I am also use the Pure Calendar widget which is nice but that just seems to be a skin sitting on top of the base calendar or base calendar DB.

Upvote 0
So many calendars suggested over such a long period of time, and I just happened upon this thread. Since so many of you are familiar with the features of so many of them, perhaps I could explain what I'm after, and you could make suggestions?

* I need to make settings for every 2, or every 3, weeks. I installed Outlook on my PC just to do this, then sync to my Droid Incredible, but that's clumsy.

* Setting a date in the standard calendar requires scrolling 3 vertical wheels? Really?! Why not a month calendar, where a single click gets you the date?

* Setting the time also requires scrolling 3 vertical wheels. My Pocket PC apps just allow you to type it in, with big numbers.

* One alarm for all, which apparently doesn't repeat. I'd like to be able to set different alarms for different events. Also, have some repeat until cancelled or I hit sleep. Again, my Pocket PC program allowed for first vibrate, then increasing volume, and repeating X times or Y minutes.

* Sleep should have selectable values rather than one set number of minutes. Sometimes I need to delay only 5 minutes, other times 4 hours.

* I like a small widget to show upcoming events. The standard 2x2 agenda widget is fine. I'm not too particular here. If the calendar I select sets the built-in calendar events, with just a different interface, then I could still use this one.

I didn't think I was that particular about calendars, but fine the standard one very clumsy. And indadequate in many ways. So, what do you think I should look at?

Thanks in advance for your help. ;-)

Upvote 0
Another Palm refugee here, looking for something as useful and versatile as Palm OS/Palm Desktop (never even got to WebOS).

Anyway, as a result of this discussion I've been using Quick Calendar and it seems to be basically what I need. But: am I thick or is it impossible to delete entries with this app?

And maybe a stupid question: how do you use a calendar widget? I don't see the use of it if I can't edit/create/delete entries. Do people do their entering on a desktop and just use the calendar on their handheld to view where they should be going next or what? If I have to go to a different app to make changes, I don't care how beautiful or up-front the widget is, it seems useless to me.

Upvote 0
Another Palm refugee here, looking for something as useful and versatile as Palm OS/Palm Desktop (never even got to WebOS).

Anyway, as a result of this discussion I've been using Quick Calendar and it seems to be basically what I need. But: am I thick or is it impossible to delete entries with this app?

And maybe a stupid question: how do you use a calendar widget? I don't see the use of it if I can't edit/create/delete entries. Do people do their entering on a desktop and just use the calendar on their handheld to view where they should be going next or what? If I have to go to a different app to make changes, I don't care how beautiful or up-front the widget is, it seems useless to me.
Pure Grid Calendar Widget lets you add appointments

Upvote 0
After using a lot of these cal suggestions Android Agenda Widget seems to be the best out at the moment for me (maybe except for the calendar widget in LauncherPro Plus).

It syncs effortlessly with Google calendar and Facebook. It may look ugly on first start-up but the HUGE amount of customisation options let you change every aspect of the UI. I've got it set up on my Desire with a semi-transparent background (which you can change the colour of as well as pretty much everything else) and white text which fits in perfectly with the minimalist look I've got going on. As well as that it also lets you change things like the syncing interval, the format of the dates/times displayed, 'today/tomorrow' labelling instead of dates (also lets you change the labels 'today' and 'tomorrow' to whatever you want), size of rows, toolbars, what action occurs when you click an event

Upvote 0
After using a lot of these cal suggestions Android Agenda Widget seems to be the best out at the moment for me (maybe except for the calendar widget in LauncherPro Plus).
I've been using that as well, and am reasonably happy with it (although I've been unable to change the event text color to make it different than the date color (the default "calendar" green is too dark on my background.

I'm now trying Gemini Calendar. It gives me the every 2/3 week setting that I need, seems to have better alarm settings & sounds, although just now the standard one went off instead of Gemini's (How the heck do two separate calendar apps know which to display when an alarm goes off?).

Far from perfect, but better, so far, for my purposes than the stock one.

Upvote 0
Using CalWidget at present - not entirely happy with it yet.

The best Calendar App I have used by far is the one on Palm devices such as the Treo. Never found anything to match that since. The iPhone Calendar is not detailed enough. Even the iPad Calendar has its limitations, although it does sync with iCal on my Mac (eventually).

Still looking - so this thread is giving me some further ideas to try. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
I've been using that as well, and am reasonably happy with it (although I've been unable to change the event text color to make it different than the date color (the default "calendar" green is too dark on my background.

I changed mine by going to the following section in settings:

Customize Appearance / Text & Font Settings / Text Colors / Text highlights / (select 'Highlight current event' in here) Highlight color

Don't know if you've still got it but if you do I hope that helps!

Upvote 0
Pure Grid Calendar Widget lets you add appointments
...and very easily

Pure Grid Calendar Widget set to Lock Screen using WidgetLocker

rVF82

Upvote 0
I tried Business Calendar and it's instant love. Damn such a fine app!

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I agree this may be the calendar I have been looking/waiting for and I have been waiting for CalenGoo since forever! Now I have both and I cant decide which one I will go with when they come out of Beta TWO DAYS apart, but that is a GOOD problem to have.

I think just after playing with both right now that Business Calendar is the front runner. LOL It just needs a month view widget (I would like an agenda widget but I dont have to be greedy) and I will gladly pay for this!

Upvote 0
Infuriatingly I can't find CalenGoo! It's not in the Google Market, and I neither know of, nor can find any other way of downloading and installing it. Can anyone please advise?
(I'm in the UK, Streak on O2)

Go to the link

CalenGoo Beta Version - Android app on AppBrain

Click on download and you will see a barcode that will link you to it in the market. Hope that helps

Upvote 0
Where? There is no "Download" on that page?!
However it's actually academic firstly because I don't have a barcode reader (!) but secondly because I've been in touch with the author of Galengoo and until yesterday there was no Android 1.6 version available. However there is now, I've installed it (it's now available in Market), and am bug-testing it for her. (I'm in the UK on O2 where we're still stuck on Android 1.6, awaiting the 2.2 update.)

Upvote 0
I apologize if this was covered earlier in the thread, but are any of these calendar suggestions able to sync with Exchange. I fell victim to the dreaded time out error with the native android calendar app and have been forced to use touchdown. I would love to have a standalone calendar app that did not require me to enter my mail app to access it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones