• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Calendar App?

What's your favorite calendar app? (Note: multiple choice ok)

• Stock, whatever comes with the phone

Votes: 70 17.4%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Calwidget

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Agenda Widget

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Smooth Calendar

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • QuickCalendarWidget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Pure Grid Calendar

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • S2 Calendar

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Calendar Pad

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iRT Calendar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket Informant

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Business Calendar

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Gemini Calendar

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 27 6.7%
  • PimlicalA

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Jorte

Votes: 90 22.3%
  • Touch Calendar

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • Calengoo

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Calendar Snooze

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
Interesting that the screen shots don't include the date picker--I wonder if it has a true month date picker.

Regarding the search capabilities, I just tried the brand new PI update, and it does display dates with search results (and the search launches from the search button, not just menus). The search on Jorte is bizzarre--seems to give results that don't have my keyword in them at all.

Upvote 0
I have a weekly meeting in my calendar with no end date. It's not happening this holiday week, so this morning I tried to deleted just that instance. Lots of calendars gave me that option, but in both PI and CG, the change did not appear to take effect! In desparation I tried it with the stock calendar and it worked; showed up in PI too. Synced to google and it showed up there. Synced CG, and it didn't show up! So it seems CG is doubly buggy in that regard; PI singly buggy, and only the stock calendar actually works! Yuck. I hope that improves by the final releases!

Upvote 0
I have a weekly meeting in my calendar with no end date. It's not happening this holiday week, so this morning I tried to deleted just that instance. Lots of calendars gave me that option, but in both PI and CG, the change did not appear to take effect! In desparation I tried it with the stock calendar and it worked; showed up in PI too. Synced to google and it showed up there. Synced CG, and it didn't show up! So it seems CG is doubly buggy in that regard; PI singly buggy, and only the stock calendar actually works! Yuck. I hope that improves by the final releases!

Update: CG acknowledges the bug and says it will be fixed in next update, along with putting the new date picker in every where.

Upvote 0
Calengoo has made a lot of fixes and add-ons in the last few days. There were some weird search bugs which have been fixed or will be fixed. The search now remembers your last search parameter so you don't have to keep re-typing it if you go back and want to search again. If you click the month on the calendar date picker, it will give you the android +/- date picker which allows you to select years quicker (I am hoping that she will make a further change to allow you to switch fully back and forth).

I wish I could test android pimlical, but I only run 2.1. CESD says he might make it backwards compatible to 2.0. I'll probably stick with calengoo because the UI is so user friendly compared to datebk5 and calengoo is meeting all of my personal needs; pimlico stuff can be very technical and complicated and I only used a fraction of the features in datebk5 and never bothered to upgrade to datebk6. The desktop pimlical manual is over 100 pages! But I'll probably buy android pimlical anyways once it is compatible with the earlier versions of android. CESD's work is excellent and all of pimlico's proceeds go to gorilla haven.

Upvote 0
The best calendar app I've ever used is on the iPhone/iPod platform - CalenGoo. I wish they'd port it over to Android.

I just downloaded Calengoo on my Droid Incredible about a week ago. I like it a lot. I need a monthly view with written appointments, not just colors, showing me what is scheduled. Calengoo does this. However, I do not know how to sync Calengoo with Google Calendar on my computer. Does anyone out there know how?

Upvote 0
I just downloaded Calengoo on my Droid Incredible about a week ago. I like it a lot. I need a monthly view with written appointments, not just colors, showing me what is scheduled. Calengoo does this. However, I do not know how to sync Calengoo with Google Calendar on my computer. Does anyone out there know how?

The menu key in Calengoo brings up a menu with settings at the bottom left. Under settings, find "accounts". Add your gmail account, and then select the sync options you want (e.g. automatic every hour).

Once you've added your account under settings, you can also hit "sync", again from the menu key in calengoo, to sync at a time other than what you've programmed.

Upvote 0
I wish I could test android pimlical, but I only run 2.1. ... CESD's work is excellent and all of pimlico's proceeds go to gorilla haven.

I installed PimlicalA last night. I used DateBk on my Treo for a few years and have missed it since migrating to the BlackBerry and Android systems. PimlicalA has an attractive interface, and I really like its "floating" events feature. But Calengoo looks promising, as well. I prefer Calengoo's use of buttons to switch among day/week/month views. Pimlical uses swipe gestures to cycle through its various views, and this often means having to perform two or three swipes to get to the view I want. I'd rather perform a single tap to go directly to a view, even though the buttons take up a bit of screen space. It also appears that Calengoo is quicker to pick up events that were added on the Google calendar web page. Pimlical seems to require a manual "refresh" to see these events.

Upvote 0
I tried SmoothCalendar back when i first got my Nexus One. It was pretty, but i didnt really refer to it enough. Think it was because it didnt show enough info in the small pace - always ended up bumping into the full stock app.

Then i went to Blik. Blik is a 4x1 horizontal or vertical widget that shows your calendar in pictorial format. For example I have physiology lecture at 2pm-4pm, and then martial arts that evening 6pm-8pm. Blik shows a picture with one word under it. So for the lecture it would be "L4" (lecture four) and the pic would be a medical snake-staff icon thingy. martial arts would be an image of a person doing a kick. The images are built in - designed to fit words in the description or name of the event. The free version only allows change each event picture individually/manually, whereas the paid version does allow for a rule to be made so its automatic, and IIRC your own icons.
Still use this widget as a quick view of my day to come or current/next appointment.

My main app is now Calendar Pad, which has been mentioned by other users here. My widget setup at the moment is home screen has Blik at the top, screen to left of home has 4x2 week widget, screen to right of home has 4x2 day widget and then screen to left of the week widget has 4x2 month widget. Leaves enough room for other widgets and shortcuts around the edges (just!) and i have one screen 'free'.
It seems good, but im on uni holidays at the moment so havent tried it in action yet.
The app part is pretty simple looking, but has the feature of, say you're in month view - you can sweep across a week to zoom to weekview , or you can select a specific day to jump to day view. I havent seen many other calendar apps feature this way.

Links for AppBrain:
Blik Calendar Widget
by JoeProgrammer, Inc
50,000 downloads, 1057 ratings (4.3 avg)
Free
rating9.png

Calendar Pad
by MoaiApps
>250,000 downloads, 6530 ratings (4.3 avg)
Free
rating9.png

Upvote 0
I have tried a few of these recommended calendars but they all want to sync their info to the HTC calendar. I need a stand alone calendar that I can put my work schedule in, and I don't want that info sent into my default HTC calendar. Is here a way to keep events that I enter in CalenGoo or these other calendars, from ending up in my regular calendar? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I have tried a few of these recommended calendars but they all want to sync their info to the HTC calendar. I need a stand alone calendar that I can put my work schedule in, and I don't want that info sent into my default HTC calendar. Is here a way to keep events that I enter in CalenGoo or these other calendars, from ending up in my regular calendar? :thinking:

If I understand calengoo right, it syncs to google itself, not through the built-in calendar, whereas most use the built in calendar database and let the phone do the sync for them. So if you simply remove your google account from the settings in calengoo, or tell it to never sync, you should be able to use it that way.

Pocket informant (PI) also has a built-in database. when you add an event in PI, you can choose whether to put it in PI's database or in the google calendar.

But I would think that the best solution for you would be to have several google calendars, and to have calengoo sync to your "work" google calendar and have the built-in calendar sync to your "personal" one.

Upvote 0
Gekko, can you comment on what it is you like about Jorte? On the wiki comparing features it doesn't seem to compare very favorably with the newer entries to the field.

IMO -

1. by far the best looking interface. looks like a page from a beautiful paper calendar. so polished it makes all others look amateurish.
2. not just a widget to access the stock calendar. it's its own app. you can easily enter/change events right from Jorte.
3. i love the big 4X4 widget.
4. so customizable.
5. so smooth and fluid to swipe between months.
6. simple yet elegant yet so powerful.

i love it.

Upvote 0
IMO -

1. by far the best looking interface. looks like a page from a beautiful paper calendar. so polished it makes all others look amateurish.
2. not just a widget to access the stock calendar. it's its own app. you can easily enter/change events right from Jorte.
3. i love the big 4X4 widget.
4. so customizable.
5. so smooth and fluid to swipe between months.
6. simple yet elegant yet so powerful.

i love it.

Also, the 4x1 weekly widget is my mainstay. I don't understand why others don't have a widget that shows my meetings for today through the next 7 days. So simple, but so nice to have.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones