• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Calendar App?

What's your favorite calendar app? (Note: multiple choice ok)

• Stock, whatever comes with the phone

Votes: 70 17.4%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 23 5.7%
  • Calwidget

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Agenda Widget

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Smooth Calendar

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • QuickCalendarWidget

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pure Calendar

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Pure Grid Calendar

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • S2 Calendar

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Calendar Pad

Votes: 16 4.0%
  • iRT Calendar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pocket Informant

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Business Calendar

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Gemini Calendar

Votes: 12 3.0%
  • other

Votes: 27 6.7%
  • PimlicalA

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • Jorte

Votes: 90 22.3%
  • Touch Calendar

Votes: 24 6.0%
  • Calengoo

Votes: 31 7.7%
  • Calendar Snooze

Votes: 6 1.5%

• Total voters
I just need a useable week view like this: http://www.keenerliving.com/wp-content/aoweek.jpg

BUT I don't want it in a widget - I'm not a widget person. I want it built into a full calendar app with month, day, agenda, tasks, etc.....

Have u tried "Jorte"? It's a very nice calendar app.. includes week view etc. Multiple features for customization AND it does Google-sync as well :)

Upvote 0
Hi,
I've only been an Android user (captivate) for a bit over a month now, but am completely appalled at the poor integration PIM functionality. Since this is a calendar thread here's an example: participants can be added to a calendar event (on web google calendar--i can't see how to do this on built-in android calendar), but location has to be entered separately. When I view the event on android calendar there's no way to tap over to contact details (from which I could make calls or find location and go to map/navigation). I have to tap the menu button, select edit and then i can tap on the button next to location. But I should be able to tap on the participant to go to the contact details to call or map from there.

Other fails:
1. the date picker stinks. When creating an event, if i want to select 3 tuesdays from today (thursday) i've got to do the math in my head (assuming i remember today's date) to select the correct date instead of simply tapping on a date on a calendar view.
2. no irregular repeats
3. lack of configurability of views
4. no saved views
5. limited to no filtering (except by calendar), no keyword
6. lots of wasted space, but that seems to be a function of low resolution touch capability of capacitive screens vs hi-res of resistive screens.

iPhone does better, webOS better yet, but the best was old school PalmOS, especially DateBk... blows my mind that i've got this powerful smartphone with such poor PIM functionality... guess the market is entertainment and gaming

Reactions: reinbeau and braj
Upvote 0
Hi,
I've only been an Android user (captivate) for a bit over a month now, but am completely appalled at the poor integration PIM functionality. Since this is a calendar thread here's an example: participants can be added to a calendar event (on web google calendar--i can't see how to do this on built-in android calendar), but location has to be entered separately. When I view the event on android calendar there's no way to tap over to contact details (from which I could make calls or find location and go to map/navigation). I have to tap the menu button, select edit and then i can tap on the button next to location. But I should be able to tap on the participant to go to the contact details to call or map from there.

Other fails:
1. the date picker stinks. When creating an event, if i want to select 3 tuesdays from today (thursday) i've got to do the math in my head (assuming i remember today's date) to select the correct date instead of simply tapping on a date on a calendar view.
2. no irregular repeats
3. lack of configurability of views
4. no saved views
5. limited to no filtering (except by calendar), no keyword
6. lots of wasted space, but that seems to be a function of low resolution touch capability of capacitive screens vs hi-res of resistive screens.

iPhone does better, webOS better yet, but the best was old school PalmOS, especially DateBk... blows my mind that i've got this powerful smartphone with such poor PIM functionality... guess the market is entertainment and gaming

This is indicative of slow corporate adoption. I think as the Android platform gains more ground in the corporate world these features will suddenly tighten up quite a bit!

I've also heard that TouchDown is pretty much the best as far as Exchange sync goes, so you may want to give that a shot if you haven't already.

Have you suggested any of these features to google? You can. You'll have to do some googling since I don't have the links handy but you'll find it.

Upvote 0
None of these features should need to be suggested to Google, they only needed to look at a Palm device from 10 years ago! They really didn't do a good job implementing PIMs at all in Android. It is just terrible.

Maybe they didn't think those features were necessary in the initial versions? From it's infancy Palm has been a business-oriented device, while Google hasn't. In my experience the Google Calendar has been overall pretty darn sufficient to keep track of business meetings, BNI one-to-ones, personal events like concerts, birthdays, social engagements, etc. I would love the additional features but it's not crippling the usability of the calendar for me.

You could throw a temper tantrum or you could suggest the features.

Upvote 0
Maybe they didn't think those features were necessary in the initial versions? From it's infancy Palm has been a business-oriented device, while Google hasn't. In my experience the Google Calendar has been overall pretty darn sufficient to keep track of business meetings, BNI one-to-ones, personal events like concerts, birthdays, social engagements, etc. I would love the additional features but it's not crippling the usability of the calendar for me.

It is like making an email app without ability to do attachments. There are basic things even soccer-moms need in their calendar app, not some mystical pro-business features. Persistent reminders to pick the kids up from practice, for example. It is too easy to miss an alarm on the one and only ring. The notifications are in general are really really weak. These aren't business features and are better even on many dumb-phones. Water the garden every three days, stuff like that.

Anyhow, no temper tantrum here, just stating the obvious. No need to throw a tantrum yourself because people state their opinion.

Upvote 0
None of these features should need to be suggested to Google, they only needed to look at a Palm device from 10 years ago! They really didn't do a good job implementing PIMs at all in Android. It is just terrible.

I am not a very organized person so the calendar functions haven't really pushed many buttons with me.

BUT, I am a long time Palm guy who went to an iPhone who then went to a Droid.

When I "upgraded" to an iPhone it was back when they were a pretty rare sight and everyone asked me how I liked it. I always said "Almost as good as my Treo 650 in many ways, and better than a my Treo 650 in only a couple of ways..."

Palm (particularly the Treo device) was WAY ahead of the game in my opinion. I was watching full length DVD's on my 650 in 2002 for instance. (yes, small screen, very useful on long flights though where my laptop battery wouldn't have a prayer)

To say that the Android market is about games etc.. is not accurate however, there are many utility tools and I/O based Apps that far surpass the iPhone or the Palm devices. And like another poster said above, more and more companies are jumping into Android and more serious business-grade Apps will follow.

A big part of the problem in my opinion is that searching the Market is one of the worst internet related experiences I endure these days. I am a HUGE fan of Android OS and I adopted Google when they were 1 month old and never looked back. How the hell can Google be associated with something where you cannot search or find anything conveniently? It baffles me.

About once a week I find a truly amazing App on the Market that EVERYONE should know about and I find them totally by chance.

If it was not for this forum (and investing way, stupid amounts of time in educating myself) I would not be utilizing my device at 10% of its capabilities.

Anyway, you fellow Palm guys, please post when you find calendar Apps or other Apps that you feel really hit the sweet spot.

Cheers

(end of rant)

:D

Upvote 0
It is like making an email app without ability to do attachments. There are basic things even soccer-moms need in their calendar app, not some mystical pro-business features. Persistent reminders to pick the kids up from practice, for example. It is too easy to miss an alarm on the one and only ring. The notifications are in general are really really weak. These aren't business features and are better even on many dumb-phones. Water the garden every three days, stuff like that.

Anyhow, no temper tantrum here, just stating the obvious. No need to throw a tantrum yourself because people state their opinion.

I understand your point but the I don't think stock calendar lacks anything as basic as attachments would be to email, EXCEPT for a snooze for the calendar notifications. I wholeheartedly agree with you that that is pretty F-ing annoying.

Upvote 0
Gemini lets you pick your own ringtone, and unlike the default it allows you to use ones you have created in another app, ie Ringdroid, so you can pick something nice and loud and long so you can actually hear them. I use Nudnik that gives you repeating ringtones and much better snooze functionality. I think right now that is the best solution.

Upvote 0
Gemini lets you pick your own ringtone, and unlike the default it allows you to use ones you have created in another app, ie Ringdroid, so you can pick something nice and loud and long so you can actually hear them. I use Nudnik that gives you repeating ringtones and much better snooze functionality. I think right now that is the best solution.

I will take a look @ Gemini - I appreciate it... As long as I can set my own tone I am happy..

Upvote 0
Yeah I used Agendus on the Palm for since before it was Agendus (Action Names!) it was great but buggy as hell sometimes, I stuck with it till the end of my Palm life :) I don't think I need something so feature (and bug) rich though, but something in that direction would be nice. It was getting project management stuff and the kitchen sink in the end, the only thing they didn't work on was stability.

Upvote 0
I use my calender mainly as a to-do list. I wasn't terribly happy with the stock calender either but I'm reasonably content using it combined with the QuickCalenderWidget. It's compact and clear and acts like an agenda for me.
Calwidget is fine for me. Looks fine as well. A bit annoyed that it cuts off part of the calendar if you have a large one.

Upvote 0
This is indicative of slow corporate adoption. I think as the Android platform gains more ground in the corporate world these features will suddenly tighten up quite a bit!

I've also heard that TouchDown is pretty much the best as far as Exchange sync goes, so you may want to give that a shot if you haven't already.

Have you suggested any of these features to google? You can. You'll have to do some googling since I don't have the links handy but you'll find it.

Hope so. Have heard the author of DateBk is coming out with android app.

Don't use exchange. Just google. Although this and privacy concerns are starting to make me think twice.

While I was googling about android calendar apps i found plenty of suggestions already on the google forums.

Upvote 0

Please don't make assumptions and dismiss other users just to defend Google. I was a long time PalmOS user and it was all personal use. Having the calendar links to contacts and locations (as well as other useability features) with ease of use as a design philosophy was key to using a PDA efficiently. The android calendar is definitely a step backwards comparing features and capabilities.

If I posted to google forums I'd be singing with the ignored choir. If you searched google forums you would see as I have that many other users find these features to be desireable. How long has android been out? 2+ years? They're long over due and its likely that 3rd party will supply the functionality first.

Reactions: reinbeau and braj
Upvote 0
I wonder if others have seen this problem ... My biggest complaint with HTC calendar widget is the alarms/reminders. I sync with Exchange and use "all day" events regularly. I turn reminders off on all day events ... *** but HTC calendar still reminds me!!*** and guess when?? ... **at midnight!!**
I can't turn all alarms off since my job requires me to be on-call for other notifications.
I agree with others - I miss my Palm calendar. It was/is the best.

Please speak-up if you have any suggested full replacements for default calendar ... I have not seen any here yet that seem good.

Upvote 0
Try Gemini, right now it is the best of a bad lot. Maybe it will write to the DB properly, it sounds like HTC version isn't. I don't have any experience with the widget, but is it really what is creating the alarms? Did you try another widget instead? What does Google Cal on the web say about the event?

Upvote 0
Actually the best Calendar App I have found is the one that comes with LauncherPro Plus.

screenshot:

07Vc

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones