• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best cheap Android Tablet?

Geisty

Lurker
Oct 29, 2010
Long time reader, first time post though for me. With all the hooplah over the Touchpad (and getting several orders cancelled), I'm really wanting a tablet now. I don't have the money to spend on one of the new ones I would love like the Galaxy Tab 10 or Xoom, but am looking for a decent alternative. I am looking for a tablet, could be 7" or 10" for under $200 that is worth while. I have seen a bunch of different ones out there, but not sure which is the best and actually worth the money.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS Being able to upgrate to Honeycomb would be a bonus.

Thax, @colchiro.
Gingerbread would be good,and Froyo is also OK. I know Google still hold the 3.0 or + source code, right? Just afraid it would be less than 2.2. That would be horrible. From this point, I think the N&B Nookcolor is not bad than Kindle. If N&B improve the hardware and config. in beautiful scale, this tab would bite the coming Amazon's tablet.

Upvote 0
Yes, Nook Color... stock 800, chip rated at 1,000, runs nice at 1,300, but gpu is fastest at 1200.

My DroidX... stock is 1,000, running at 1250.

My Hp Touchpad (dual cpu)... stock is 1,200, chip rated at 1,500, runs nice at 1,800. My wife's TP will do 1,900, but super fast with CM7.1 so 1,600 is plenty fast.

If you go too fast will either crash or slow to a crawl. :D

Upvote 0
I really like my Nexus 7. It has 16GB of space, and was $249 when I bought it, but now it is lowered to $199.

You've probably heard of it, but here's a link: Click

EDIT: If you want to go even cheaper, the Icoo D70 ProII sounds good. My dad has the Icoo D50, and it works well for him. The Icoo D70 ProII has Android 4.1, 8GB of space, and is only around $100.

Link: Click

Problem with the Icoo one is that not many people know about it, so it may be hard to find help on it.

Upvote 0
I love my Zeki. You can find it as low as $69 at Best Buy when they're not selling them too fast... I paid $139.99 through Fingerhut.com.

Yes, it comes rooted out of the box. But the Allwinner A10 chip needs to be updated before you can get Google Play store, and that process can kill off your Zeki if you use the wrong update file. Best to just stick to the Amazon store. It also comes with GetJar using the Soc.io store, but Soc.io has been having problems signing Zekis in, even with a known-to-be-correct login. They say they are working on the problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones